A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Looking for tips on inner cv boot replacement -- A6 4.2 Tripod joint AAR 3300 i

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for tips on inner cv boot replacement -- A6 4.2 Tripod joint AAR 3300 i

Hello all,

I need to replace the inner cv boot on the right front axle/half shaft. Has anyone done this without the special vag puller t40018 or a hydrolic press? I am a pretty decent home mechanic and willing to try most anything once but am unsure how to safely sepperate this joint or remove the triple roller star from the shaft.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Michael

PS
this is the tripod/roller type joint not the type with *****<ul><li><a href="http://www.csupomona.edu/~bvnorum/C5_1998-2005_tripod_AAR3300i.pdf">VAG Instructions for boot replacement</a></li></ul>
Old 03-08-2009, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Replace the whole axle - you have to take it out anyhow...

so it's easier and cheaper to replace the whole axle at once.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

easier, yes. cheaper, i hope not! barely can pay for the boot kit
Old 03-08-2009, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Disagree. Why spend an extra $125 if you don't have to? Clean the joint, replace the boot.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

completly agree! glad to know i'm not the only audi owner who works for a living ;p
Old 03-08-2009, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I rocognize that link! I think you read my thread about the same thing....

I'm still waiting for my inner boot kit to get here. According to that guy that posted in my thread last week, you can do it without the special tool. You just need to really pay attention to how everything goes back together.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default If the boot is torn, it's time...

The the Germans have planned obsolescence down to a science. I can almost guarantee you that:

1. The outer boot is going to tear any moment if it hasn't already.

2. The CV joint grease has been contaminated by road grit and you cannot be positive that the damage is not already done.

If you repair/reassemble and you start hearing the CV joints clicking in a month or two, you're going to kick yourself for not doing an entire replacement.

Trust me, I've owned audis since 1984 and have been through the torn boot scenario a number of times.

BTW. I work seven days a week, and have always fixed my own cars.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's not an exact science. If you catch a torn boot within a reasonable time, you can

clean the CV joint well, re-pack it well and compete a good repair and odds are you'll be fine. BTDT myself more than once, with very good, long-lasting results.

Now, if one were to drive quite some time with a split boot and little grease, and with debris getting ground into the CV, the story might be different.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default This is CW. The inner joint has a lot less stress than the outer CV joint.

And while you can argue that therefore it is designed for less stress and therefore is weaker, the point is that outer CV joints and boots fail a lot more often.

So if the argument is that the outer boot is going to go (even though it's not torn) and therefore one should replace the entire axle assembly, that is incorrect...one should just replace both the inner boot and the outer CV joint boot at the same time.

Which isn't a bad idea since you can pull the outer cv joint and boot to replace the inner boot anyway.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Now my experience at all. In 29 years of driving and manitaining many cars....

I have never had to replace a CV joint.

Even one my brother drove until the metal went blue, was still fine with new grease. They are very tough and will rarely give further trouble with good grease and no grit.

Quick Reply: Looking for tips on inner cv boot replacement -- A6 4.2 Tripod joint AAR 3300 i