A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Looking to buy '04 A6 2.7T Auto

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy '04 A6 2.7T Auto

Hi Audi World!
I'm new to this forum. Currently I'm an owner of a '02 passat with a 1.8T, but looking to purchase an Audi A6 Quattro. There's one particular one I'm looking at, its a 2004 Audi A6 2.7T with Auto with 135k S-Line. There's one problem with it, it has a check engine light. It says its a Second Air Injection System. Ok when I looked at the car I noticed light smoke coming out of a right side of the engine. Now from being an owner of a 1.8T I know that vacuum lines cause most of the problems, I mean check engine lights. Is that a possibility? Where else could that smoke could come out? It's definitely an exhaust smoke, I had same issue with my Passat, all had to do is replace couple of vacuum lines and check valves also a PCV valve was bad. Could that be same problem?
Thanks for your help ahead of time!
Old 12-13-2012, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Please Help!!!

Please guys help me out. I need your advices or opinions. I do really like the car, but the lady that is selling it wants to trade it on Friday for a new Ford, if I do not buy it by then. Car is in flawless condition expect for issue I mentioned in previous post, but that's why I'm hesitating.
Attached Images  
Old 12-13-2012, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is possible the SAI pump took the plunge, worst case scenario. It is used for emissions on cold starts where the pump injects air to help burn off excess emissions.

Some owners have taken the pump out altogether, so it is not a critical component.

If that is the only problem with the car, it's not really an issue. Looks great, same colour as my brother's 4.2 A6.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Buy in haste, repent at leisure. If you don't have time to have the car checked out by an Audi technician, or if the lady won't give you the time, pass. It has 135K on it fer cryin' out loud.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Buy in haste, repent at leisure. If you don't have time to have the car checked out by an Audi technician, or if the lady won't give you the time, pass. It has 135K on it fer cryin' out loud.
Well I do not have a Audi mechanic I can trust, so that's out of a question. How come it sounds like u r very negative about the mileage? Those cars go to 250k easy. I personally had an Audi 90 which got totaled with almost 300k on it. Then I have owned a Jetta with way over 200k, the tranny died when I had 270k. And that's because I flooded it in huge puddle. And now I'm driving Passat which is about to hit 200k. And neither one of them ever had a major issues, small problems YES and lots of them but nothing major. Thanks anyway
Old 12-13-2012, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
It is possible the SAI pump took the plunge, worst case scenario. It is used for emissions on cold starts where the pump injects air to help burn off excess emissions.

Some owners have taken the pump out altogether, so it is not a critical component.

If that is the only problem with the car, it's not really an issue. Looks great, same colour as my brother's 4.2 A6.
From reading a couple of threads on this forum, I would say that pump is working. At a cold start it sounds like a hair dryer was turned on, from what I understood is that it's a sign that a pump is working. Correct me if I'm wrong! How would you explain an exhaust smoke coming out of right side of engine bay?
Thanks for reply
Old 12-13-2012, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver

Oh yeah the car is perfect 10 expect that SAI issue. And she wants $4500 for it, sounds to me it's a steal, what you think?
Old 12-13-2012, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ashtrom2.7T
...How come it sounds like u r very negative about the mileage? Those cars go to 250k easy. I personally had an Audi 90 which got totaled with almost 300k on it. Then I have owned a Jetta with way over 200k...
The short answer is that from my experience with these cars, albeit limited, they are very complicated. Lots of systems have to function correctly for the car to work without issue, and the higher the mileage, the more likelihood those systems might have problems.

Not saying they aren't durable cars, but the best advice given is to have it inspected by someone who knows Audis.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Agree with that. But I had a bad experience with a VW tech, and in my area Audi and VW is a same dealer, they are dumb as they come. When I had my passat inspected they told me I'll need about $1000 in parts plus labor. well then i went to Passat forum and followed a couple of suggestions. I have spend only about $300 and did my own labor, the car been driving for past 25k with no issues, go figure!
Old 12-13-2012, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exhaust smoke? That can't be good. The SAI pump should not blow any smoke.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy '04 A6 2.7T Auto