A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Leaking water pump issue... after only 60k?!

Old 12-29-2013, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nialist
....That will save you $$$ and keep you from becoming the dealers next bitch...
LOL. And dealers are always looking...

Regarding tools (for the OP), get something like this: http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-3...1&blockType=G1

More expensive than the average Dollar Store but the quality speaks for itself -backed by the warranty. I got few sockets and ratchets replaced in my 10+ years with those tools. Even today, they will replace it if it broke! Can't beat it!

The specialty tools, you can rent them from Blauparts with the kit when you order it.

More importantly, you need the repair manual like eBahn reader from Bentley publishers.

Do some research here on these forums. I've asked lot of useful(or less) questions before. Others have more command on Audi repairs than I do so, it'd be wise to read their posts and see how things got resolved.

Don't just open up the car and try to find answers. Figure out what's involved and find relevant topics before you start.

If you are doing t-belt, you might also want to do valve cover gaskets and cam seals (if they are leaking).

Finally, Always, Safety First so, don't crawl under the car with just a jack lifting it. Always use jack stands and keep the jack(s) as extra support just in case.

It is a lot of work but it is $hit load of fun! I love working on cars so... and I hope you'll have fun as well.

Last edited by tester123; 12-29-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya. I'm going to get the book and there are a couple write ups that are in the tech section on this site that I've read over. JHM also sells a 57 min long DVD of the process that I'll probably get. I'm hoping with that reading and video & any help from you guys that I'll have the knowledge (or access to it at least) to complete the job.

Do I need an air compressor to properly flush and refill the cooling system? Can it be filled and bled without pulling a vacuum on it and using that vacuum to suck the new coolent into the system? Would going with the new purple G12++ hurt? (50/50 mix of course)

Should I bother with getting any official Audi parts instead of the kit, or should that kit be of high enough quality for another 60k miles? (Should I use all kit but swap in official Audi water pump? Or official Audi timing belt?)
Old 12-29-2013, 08:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Coolant flushhttp://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/251162-DIY-Complete-Coolant-System-Flush-(the-easy-way)

Call Blauparts in the morning and talk to them if you doubt their water pumps at all. I'm sure there are better ones out there, but you have 160,000 on it now and other things will be popping up in hurry. A water pump made by Lockheed Martin custom fitted to your car could last longer than your bloodline. Or it could shell out from some mutt of a mechanic dropping his lip piercing in your reservoir and then somehow shelling the pump when you are barreling toward the hospital to get your dogs tongue out of the toaster. Don't expect that all the parts you put in during the change will make another 75k is what i am saying. When parts fail, it can be a chain reaction. The key is to figure out what is the root cause and get ahead of the problem before you end up chasing symptoms, and throwing parts at it. Like Tester said, we all wish our turbos lasted that long.

The issue you may be swallowing just now is that the market is suddenly flooded with Audi's for 6-13 grand. As one generation puts their once 50k cars out in a lot for 7k people jump at them without realizing the costs associated with such a vehicle. After first trip to dealer for strange vibration/lack of power/ sunroof jammed on keg tapper they realize that lawyers and doctors are not the only ones making 2-4 hundred an hour, and quickly they say ti themselves "**** this!" Well i say the same thing when i look at what my car bluebooks for.

To quote an old timer flight instructor i know: "them Russians sure have some nice jets(referring to late model MIG-27's), too bad we'll never fight them in the sky"….
"Why's that, commies afraid of heights these days?" I replied like a smart ***.
"They can't afford the parts". He stated matter of factly while putting down his JANES DEFENSE WEEKLY….
Days later Putin is rumored to be in possession of a Super Bowl ring….. Lookin to pawn it, or sell it, sir?
Old 12-29-2013, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Coolant flushhttp://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/251162-DIY-Complete-Coolant-System-Flush-(the-easy-way)

Call Blauparts in the morning and talk to them if you doubt their water pumps at all. I'm sure there are better ones out there, but you have 160,000 on it now and other things will be popping up in hurry. A water pump made by Lockheed Martin custom fitted to your car could last longer than your bloodline. Or it could shell out from some mutt of a mechanic dropping his lip piercing in your reservoir and then somehow shelling the pump when you are barreling toward the hospital to get your dogs tongue out of the toaster. Don't expect that all the parts you put in during the change will make another 75k is what i am saying. When parts fail, it can be a chain reaction. The key is to figure out what is the root cause and get ahead of the problem before you end up chasing symptoms, and throwing parts at it. Like Tester said, we all wish our turbos lasted that long.

The issue you may be swallowing just now is that the market is suddenly flooded with Audi's for 6-13 grand. As one generation puts their once 50k cars out in a lot for 7k people jump at them without realizing the costs associated with such a vehicle. After first trip to dealer for strange vibration/lack of power/ sunroof jammed on keg tapper they realize that lawyers and doctors are not the only ones making 2-4 hundred an hour, and quickly they say ti themselves "**** this!" Well i say the same thing when i look at what my car bluebooks for.

To quote an old timer flight instructor i know: "them Russians sure have some nice jets(referring to late model MIG-27's), too bad we'll never fight them in the sky"….
"Why's that, commies afraid of heights these days?" I replied like a smart ***.
"They can't afford the parts". He stated matter of factly while putting down his JANES DEFENSE WEEKLY….
Days later Putin is rumored to be in possession of a Super Bowl ring….. Lookin to pawn it, or sell it, sir?
So I guess what I'm taking away from this all is that Audi really needs to change their recommendations away from 105k intervals and move closer to 60 to 70k miles or something. I just keep being worried that I'm just a little over half the distance Audi is STILL telling me the parts should last and I'm worried that's an indication of aftermarket quality. BUT, I have no reason to believe Blau sells below standard parts, they have SOOO much helpful details on water pump/timing care/repair...

I just don't want to be "cheap" again if official parts might last double the distance. (And yes I figure there will be something new wrong, but one thing at a time is better then something new PLUS another timing job in 40k miles or something :P)
Old 12-29-2013, 10:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Maybe….

It is an engine with tight tolerances and high in interference fits. Like an old lady, the gaps grow with age. And someone still needs to service it. (wipes vomit off with sleeve) Here is some info on that motor you got. It's a good read….
http://allroadfaq.com/downloads/tech...ne_english.pdf
Old 12-30-2013, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 673 Likes on 487 Posts

It is an engine with tight tolerances and high in interference fits. Like an old lady, the gaps grow with age. And someone still needs to service it. (wipes vomit off with sleeve) Here is some info on that motor you got. It's a good read….
http://allroadfaq.com/downloads/tech...ne_english.pdf
Wow Nialist. Nice S4 engine pub. I'd love to find one for my S6's 4.2.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

There has been a TSB out for many years, and Bentley (paper) has notes amended to the service schedules, changing the TB service to 60k.

G
Old 12-30-2013, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

So to add another perspective...having done 2 of these TB. waterpump, serp belt, etc...installs in the ownership life of my C5. I can say it was an informative and also partially frustrating experience doing all the work. Appreciate that I did it once, but wasn't something I wanted to do over and over. In that case, I personally know of someone (Audi dealer mech), who does side jobs for the entire job for about $800 cash. To me that's worth it...since the cost of parts alone are near that cost and he is done in about 6 hours. I can then spend my time on projects I want to do; work on my project car, monkey about with my AV setup, remodel a bathroom (discount that last one...lol).

You will have to evaluate the 'cost' of your own time. Do the math and figure out what your time is worth to you. It's like the people who waste 1 hour of driving to save an extra $15...to me that's idiotic since the cost in gas outweighs the value, much less the cost of your time.

Lastly, as others have pointed out, you bought a USED Audi...not a Honda. You bought a car that when new went for over $50K (in the present value of money vs. what was paid for back then). Therefore, any and all maintenance related to the car is proportionate to the original value and not the residual value. It still will act like a $50K car and demand cost in parts and maintenance that is equivalent. By GM or Ford if you want cheap cost of parts, since they are largely ubiquitous between many models and hence the manufacturing cost of parts are cheaper.

I always laugh at friends who have no mechanical attributes when they come to me about buying a MB CLS550 for under $25K and say 'it's the same price as a Honda accord!'...yeah it is...but the maintenance will not be and hence why it's the same people after a few months who come back and moan and bitch about the cost of this part or that thing...
Old 12-30-2013, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

... A water pump made by Lockheed Martin custom fitted to your car could last longer than your bloodline. Or it could shell out from some mutt of a mechanic dropping his lip piercing in your reservoir and then somehow shelling the pump when you are barreling toward the hospital to get your dogs tongue out of the toaster....
Man! How old are you and where do you come up with this $hit?
Old 12-30-2013, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by acarney
...I just don't want to be "cheap" again if official parts might last double the distance. (And yes I figure there will be something new wrong, but one thing at a time is better then something new PLUS another timing job in 40k miles or something :P)
Yeah, something new + t-belt job is not fun. See, it's like this: You want to keep this car running? Weigh your costs to keep it running. Having Audis in family before, I knew their repairs are expensive!

For example, on my 4.2, total repairs completed include: trans oil/filter/gasket change, t-belt job, VC gaskets etc., Plugs, new MAF, tires, 2 tie rods, Side and rear-view mirrors, front windshield and so on .. total estimate? probably totals around $2500 or so over the timeline. I use Super or 91 or above gas and each time it can be close to $60-75 at the pump. This is the real killer for me. Sure the car is great but, full tank emptying at ~300 +/-50 -mostly (-) depending on how pissed off my foot is that week, pump hurts bad. To keep operating this car at that high gas price along with any other repairs that may come, plus regular oil change($50 easy) - that, with all repairs done by myself (thus saving labor), I began to think if my equation is adding up properly.

Sure, I am not going to ditch it now (not after all the critical jobs done. And done Right! might I add. Well, minus windshield & mounting tires etc.) and it runs beautifully! Still, operating costs are very high when compared to other American / Japanese cars. Still, I love driving it. It's like a tank on steroids!

So, you have to think about all that as well. Anyway, now that you might be well confused, let me know if I can help further

Last edited by tester123; 12-30-2013 at 10:28 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaking water pump issue... after only 60k?!