A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Front seat removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 09:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front seat removal

I need to get a Bentley manual but in the meantime can anyone give me some tips on removing the front seats from my '00 A6 as not to set off the airbags inside them? As I explained in my other thread, I'm an Audi newbie who was given this car for free after being driven by a family member who abused it. I intend to clean it, fix it, and drive it.

The reason I want to remove the seats is because I'd like to remove the carpets so that I can clean them. I took this photo today as I was emptying the trash out of the car before putting it in the garage to work on. This isn't even the worst of it:

Old 11-16-2013, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by NEU!
I need to get a Bentley manual but in the meantime can anyone give me some tips on removing the front seats from my '00 A6 as not to set off the airbags inside them? As I explained in my other thread, I'm an Audi newbie who was given this car for free after being driven by a family member who abused it. I intend to clean it, fix it, and drive it.

The reason I want to remove the seats is because I'd like to remove the carpets so that I can clean them. I took this photo today as I was emptying the trash out of the car before putting it in the garage to work on. This isn't even the worst of it:

All you have to do is disconnect the battery, wait 30 minutes, then remove the seats. Couple bolts in the middle of the fronts (seats slide back then lift up).
BUT…why go through all that work? Just get a Dr. Rug or carpet machine from Giant or Safeway or whatever and clean them in place. Or take it to an upholstery shop or detailer and have them do it.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
All you have to do is disconnect the battery, wait 30 minutes, then remove the seats. Couple bolts in the middle of the fronts (seats slide back then lift up).
BUT…why go through all that work? Just get a Dr. Rug or carpet machine from Giant or Safeway or whatever and clean them in place. Or take it to an upholstery shop or detailer and have them do it.
Thanks for the info on the seats. The interior of this car is pretty nasty on what is otherwise a pretty solid car. So my plan was to remove as much of it as I can and give it a thorough cleaning. I need to research some methods on getting cigarette smoke smell out. The interior of this car was basically treated as a wastebasket/ash tray.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:41 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
All you have to do is disconnect the battery, wait 30 minutes, then remove the seats.
Not necessary at all. Just take the key out of the ignition to prevent you from turning it on and setting an airbag code.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NEU!
... I need to research some methods on getting cigarette smoke smell out...
I'd try this: Vacuum, pour baking soda (excess is ok) over carpet, let it sit couple days or so and vacuum again. Do this couple of times and it should work. I know for a fact that baking soda deodorizes refrigerator smells and I keep one of those arm&hammer boxes in the car under the seat. My car doesn't have any smell other than leather; plus, I don't smoke. Baking Soda is so cheap so why not try it? Perhaps, febreeze on roof liner might also help. Clean all surfaces, glass, recondition leather -basically, detail the interior.

Get the manual -worthy investment imo.

Last edited by tester123; 11-17-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've detailed many cars in my younger days inside and out, best tip I could share these days would be to buy a wet/dry shop vac, mix a solution of Hydrogen Peroxide 4% to warm water mixed in a bucket with clear dish soap along with a clean water rinse bucket, use a white towel (not soaking wet) just damp enough to wet the carpet then use a brush, keep the towel clean by rinsing before you dirty-up the solution, extract with the vac and repeat.

The headliner can be done with Resolve on a clean damp white towel with even application extracting with the wet/dry vac, then even out with a clean warm damp towel afterward.

Agreed that after you do the carpet and headliner the rest is just a wipe down with Murphy Oil Soap on the non fabric sections and the smoke smell will be long gone.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Ozone. The better shops use an ozone generator to oxidize bad smells, especially smoke.
http://www.detailking.com/landing-pa...onegenerators/
Old 11-20-2013, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jcman
I've detailed many cars in my younger days inside and out, best tip I could share these days would be to buy a wet/dry shop vac, mix a solution of Hydrogen Peroxide 4% to warm water mixed in a bucket with clear dish soap along with a clean water rinse bucket, use a white towel (not soaking wet) just damp enough to wet the carpet then use a brush, keep the towel clean by rinsing before you dirty-up the solution, extract with the vac and repeat.

The headliner can be done with Resolve on a clean damp white towel with even application extracting with the wet/dry vac, then even out with a clean warm damp towel afterward.

Agreed that after you do the carpet and headliner the rest is just a wipe down with Murphy Oil Soap on the non fabric sections and the smoke smell will be long gone.
Hydrogen Peroxide, interesting... I've never thought of that. I know people dye/bleach hair with that.

Would it change the "color" of the carpet? I might give this a try actually... thanks for sharing
Old 11-20-2013, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Metronet
Hydrogen Peroxide, interesting... I've never thought of that. I know people dye/bleach hair with that.

Would it change the "color" of the carpet? I might give this a try actually... thanks for sharing
Yes, hydrogen peroxide will likely change the color.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My GF has a cleaning company - I hate letting this secret out, but use Amrep Misty Carpet Spot Remover. That shizzle is amazing. She has taken spots out of carpets that people tried all sorts of things on and I have seen it disintegrate stains without even rubbing. Not sure if you can get a single can or not ...my need a case $$$

Quick Reply: Front seat removal