A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004
Old 07-22-2016, 03:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C5) Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Key Fob Battery Change for Newbies

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all. How do I open the key fob of my 2010 A6 key to replace the battery? Don't want to damage it. And the battery type if known. Thanks!

Robert
Old 07-13-2015, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default 1 remote key, 1 service key, 1 plastic key.

1996 audi A6 2.8 Q.
I have a 2 button HAA remote key that was worked, 1non-remote NAA key that unlocks everything but the the trunk, then 1non-remote HAA key that unlocks/locks everything just like the remote key.
Now my remote key just stopped working for a reason I don't know, and my question is.
Will programming procedure wprk on my ride?
Originally Posted by IndyAudi
Since I finally learned to do this "all by myself," I thought that I would share.

There is a Tech Section listing dated January, 2002 in which Bill Bradstreet described the basics (but without testing them himself). Here is my revised version of his instructions:

1) Unlock all doors
2) Insert a spare key in the ignition and turn to the "accessory" position
3) Roll down driver's window
4) While standing outside, and with all doors closed, insert main fob (with new batteries) in door then twist to lock and release, making sure to leave fob in door
5) Reach inside and hold interior "unlock" button down for 10 seconds (this is why you keep the window open!)
6) Press the fob's "unlock" button once - the parking lights should flash once
7) Remove the fob and the spare key and you are done

If you wish to program more fobs, Bill says to:

"8) Repeat #5 & #6 (don't change the remote in the door)
9) Press unlock button twice for remote 2
10) Repeat again for remote 3 if you have one"

My switchblade fob ('98 A6 sedan) requires TWO (2) "CR1620" batteries, which run about $3 each at Radio Shack.

To access the batteries, use a screwdriver to gently twist, not pry, the fob into two pieces. Use your fingers to pull apart the small, inner cover.

Be prepared when the keyring falls out; it is held by this inner cover. The rest will be obvious. Reverse to reassemble. And always dispose of old batteries properly!
Old 07-13-2015, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by realmexyaudi
1996 audi A6 2.8 Q.
I have a 2 button HAA remote key that was worked, 1non-remote NAA key that unlocks everything but the the trunk, then 1non-remote HAA key that unlocks/locks everything just like the remote key.
Now my remote key just stopped working for a reason I don't know, and my question is.
Will programming procedure wprk on my ride?
Like they told me at programming school, try it and see what happens!
Old 07-13-2015, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default 1 HAA remote key, 1 HAA plastic key, 1 NAA non- remote key.

Thanks Indy for this post, i pray it works on mine.
1998 audi A6 2.8 Q.
I have only 1 remote key(2 button HAA) that worked before now, 1 plastic key(HAA) that opens door, trunk and ignition, then 1 non remote key (NAA) that opens only ignition and doors but can't open the trunks.
My remote was working before it just stopped for an unknown reason, i changed the batteries and it's still dump.
My question is will this step work for me since I don't have a second remote key?

Please help ur man.

Originally Posted by IndyAudi
Since I finally learned to do this "all by myself," I thought that I would share.

There is a Tech Section listing dated January, 2002 in which Bill Bradstreet described the basics (but without testing them himself). Here is my revised version of his instructions:

1) Unlock all doors
2) Insert a spare key in the ignition and turn to the "accessory" position
3) Roll down driver's window
4) While standing outside, and with all doors closed, insert main fob (with new batteries) in door then twist to lock and release, making sure to leave fob in door
5) Reach inside and hold interior "unlock" button down for 10 seconds (this is why you keep the window open!)
6) Press the fob's "unlock" button once - the parking lights should flash once
7) Remove the fob and the spare key and you are done

If you wish to program more fobs, Bill says to:

"8) Repeat #5 & #6 (don't change the remote in the door)
9) Press unlock button twice for remote 2
10) Repeat again for remote 3 if you have one"

My switchblade fob ('98 A6 sedan) requires TWO (2) "CR1620" batteries, which run about $3 each at Radio Shack.

To access the batteries, use a screwdriver to gently twist, not pry, the fob into two pieces. Use your fingers to pull apart the small, inner cover.

Be prepared when the keyring falls out; it is held by this inner cover. The rest will be obvious. Reverse to reassemble. And always dispose of old batteries properly!