A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Just got a $500 3.0L A6

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What was the oil pressure? Did you check??

Originally Posted by PhySteve
I solved the Oil Pressure issue! It was the sensor. To make it easier for people to resolve this issue I'm going to write up in more detail the symptoms, solution, and steps I took.

2003 Audi A6 C5 3.0L
Symptoms: Red Oil can light came on randomly followed by three loud beeps. The light would stay on for a period of time and turn off. Sometimes well the light was already on the three beeps would occur again signaling that the sensor had reported normal and immediately fell back and reported bad conditions.

Investigation: Oil Temperature and coolant temperature remain in normal conditions. Upon inspection oil levels were sufficient. Oil was worn but contained no visual particulate. The engine was not knocking. No indications of oil leaks were found. Normally at this stage test the oil pressure. The oil pressure check gauge can be hooked up just above the oil filter at the oil pressure sensor. The Oil pressure sensor can be removed by first removing the connector (on the front of the sensor insert a flat head screwdriver to lift the clip), and unscrewed with a 24mm deep socket. Oil will leak out.

Solution: Assuming oil pressure was within normal specifications replace the removed oil pressure sensor with a new one. Visually check the electrical connector for damage, and if applicable clean with electrical parts cleaner
"Solution" didn't work: At this point I would have dropped the oil pan and investigated the oil pick up tube. If the tube was clean the engine might be worn (bearings are bad) or the oil pump might be bad. At this point I would have added thicker oil and drove the car lightly until engine threw a rod. Don't be like me.
Change your oil filter to a Mahn or Mahle brand and report back.....I've been through same situation even checking the pressure.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Issues

New issue ahoy! Now with the transmission.

One recent morning I backed the car out of the drive way and placed the car into drive. It did not feel as if the transmission actually engaged into drive. Hitting the accelerator did not cause the car to move. Suddenly, the car threw itself into gear with a massive clunk (imagine dropping the clutch with the brakes on). The car did not like this at all. The LCD display showed I was in every gear. The car felt like it was in limp-mode. restarting the car fixed this issue. Pushing through the gears with the multitronic felt fine. Automatic gear shifting was normal.

Leaving work I was able to mitigate the results of the delayed shift. After the hard shift the car went into every gear on the display and once again was in limp mode. Restarting resolved the issue.

Leaving for work today no massive thunk! LCD normal. However, the car was stuck in first? I pulled over tried force shifting with multitronic with no success (i tried well moving too). Reverse engaged as expected. Neutral AOK. Restarting the car resolved the issue. Car returned to normal functionality.

Now the thunking could be caused by either a bad motor/tran mount OR the torque converted going awhol. The earlier will be an easy debug.

However, the one time issue of not being able to change from first seems like an electrical issue.

I've never had any automatic transmission issues before, so I dont have much experience. I do have experience with manual gearboxes on these cars.

I'll try to connect to the TCM with my vagcom and see what comes up.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I would start by posting this same query only in a new thread. Label the thread more specifically, trans problems, or intermittent trans problems or something descriptive to this specific issue. There are many people who only open threads that interest them or if they think they may be able to answer the issue. Starting a thread that says Just got a $500 3.0L A6 may not be enough to entice the person who has your answer to even open it. Not criticizing, just trying to help.