A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

The infamous EBAY Cable

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Johann2.7t
if you cant fork up 200 bucks for the real deal its time to look into a car other then those made in Germany.
Well said !!
Old 01-16-2011, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

if you cant fork up 200 bucks for the real deal its time to look into a car other then those made in Germany.
Dude I have more cars made in germany than you do so if you have nothing to add to this technical thread sod off..
no where here does anything illegal happen and only legal software has been used. Shareware from site , purchased connector and serial converter .. so get off your pedastal and back in your car .. as stated, if you had actual read the thread you moron I was just using the wrong version of software .. friggen kids ,,

Last edited by Airbag; 01-16-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Airbag
Dude I have more cars made in germany than you do so if you have nothing to add to this technical thread sod off..
no where here does anything illegal happen and only legal software has been used. Shareware from site , purchased connector and serial converter .. so get off your pedastal and back in your car .. as stated if you had actual read the thread you mron I was just using the wrong version of software .. friggen kids ,,
I guess I just don't understand why youd rather not support a great asset to the VAG community. This issue is at the heart of many larger debates. Folks just don't want to pay to play anymore and I don't understand.

Im glad you got it working, now maybe you can make a great write up so more people can undermine ross tech and force them out of business as well.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Airbag
no where here does anything illegal happen and only legal software has been used. Shareware from site , purchased connector and serial converter .. so get off your pedastal and back in your car .. as stated if you had actual read the thread you mron I was just using the wrong version of software .. friggen kids ,,
You have reported that you have problem with "The infamous EBAY Cable",
when you mention 409s, it tells us it is illegal software,
why don't know you contact the place you bought it from ? They should have answer for you.. wait they are in china..

The problem is that poor users buying cars without factor the cost of maintenance parts, fuel cost, insurance, and they demand cheap products which in many cases they turn to flebay because China man is looking for you. And later they come back to american company to demand support because it doesn't work, and they get annoyed that they don't get support they want because they bought pirated product, because they don't want to pay the price for the real thing.
Ross tech have bent over which I am surprised, and decided to sell just software at the fraction of the cost of 99 usd , so user can buy obd cable from china and use their software with it, but still people prefer to get cracked version so they can have everything for free or fraction of the cost, which doesn't help anyone ,
I am surprised that you have that many German cars and to this day couldn't afford the real ross tech cable.....
Old 01-16-2011, 12:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've had the cheap e-Bay OBD connection wire for at least 7 years and never had a problem with it. As long as you have the legal Ross-Tech software your are good to go.

As I think about it, the newer software (or latest edition) does not work with the old/cheap e-bay cables. I have the old Ross Tech software. The one that is a one step up from the old free version. It works on old cars link B3 Passat and B3 Audis (2x2 connector) up to 2002 VWs and Audis.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure, very mature. Do Ross-Tech and Audi/Vw have an agreement then? You buy this car you must waste money on that program?

Yes OF COARSE a pirated version of the software is illegal but having bought the $10 cable with the software included several times (I lose these things)....most don't actually give you anything related to Ross-Tech software. Its usually a generic OBD2 software.

Nobody here is condoning the use of illegal software. I was simply giving instructions on how to install a COMPLETELY LEGAL version of a software that Ross-Tech decided NOT to charge for.

Get off your high horse.

And lastly, a 1998-2004 Audi A6 C5 no longer qualifies as an expensive car. It used to be but now you can get a pristine example for under $20 grand...most likely closer to $10 grand.

Last edited by frankinstyn; 01-16-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

Mine cost one grand significantly less than my other Audi or my Porsche... but i can't aford such an exotic german car
Old 01-16-2011, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by frankinstyn
Sure, very mature. Do Ross-Tech and Audi/Vw have an agreement then? You buy this car you must waste money on that program?

Yes OF COARSE a pirated version of the software is illegal but having bought the $10 cable with the software included several times (I lose these things)....most don't actually give you anything related to Ross-Tech software. Its usually a generic OBD2 software.

Nobody here is condoning the use of illegal software. I was simply giving instructions on how to install a COMPLETELY LEGAL version of a software that Ross-Tech decided NOT to charge for.

Get of your high horse.

And lastly, a 1998-2004 Audi A6 C5 no longer qualifies as an expensive car. It used to be but now you can get a pristine example for under $20 grand...most likely closer to $10 grand.
never said they were expensive just implying they have quite a few senors and gadgets where owning a genuine, properly working interface is crucial compared to some other more reliable options.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As we all go forward in time the CAN bus will make all this shareware stuff go away. I bought a cable from a company in WA. and used the Ross-tech shareware version that I still use just to read codes. That's about all it goof for. I needed something. But with my Q7 none of this works so I'll have to pay the money for the real thing. with 3 kids in college I don't have a bunch of many to throw around. the shareware ROSS-Tech was an orportunity to get my hands wet with the ODBII stuff. BUt now I'll have to buy the $350 package to diagnost my Q7 coming off of warranty next month. it will be worth it in the end. But so far the shareware version has been fine just to read codes at home. Harbor Frieght has a hand held unit that works pretty good for O2 sensor and MAS sensor real time data for $99.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a lot of universal OBD II cables that are available at Autozone, or even Walmart, or any car napa parts store, and they are good as well, under $100
I have one in my car and it works in CANBUS and non-Canbus cars I can check the codes do all kinds of measurements and I can erase the codes as well, this is great alternative to those that don't want to spend money and avoid ebay cables, or don't want to carry ross tech cable with their laptop, good thing about it that it is in one contained unit comes with own display lcd so no need for laptop

example
autozone
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...uestid=1232300

Quick Reply: The infamous EBAY Cable