A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

I remember that someone was removing weight from their A6 and

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I remember that someone was removing weight from their A6 and

I remember that they did find some weights somewhere, but cant remember where. Maybe I already took them out or something, but does anyone know what I'm talking about? I think it was in the rear somewhere, seriously they found weights in the C5, I want them out if I could find them. If anyone knows let me know, thanks... seriously, it just popped back in my brain and I really remember reading about someone removing actual weights on the C5...
Old 03-14-2012, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The only thing that comes to mind is.........

A story about keeping fat girls out of the car, I don't know why.
Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2012, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

hahahaha, funny. seriously, where are the weights? I really really remember reading and seeing pictures of a guy on this forum or maybe another audi forum taking weights out...
Old 03-15-2012, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by badinstincts
I remember that they did find some weights somewhere, but cant remember where. Maybe I already took them out or something, but does anyone know what I'm talking about? I think it was in the rear somewhere, seriously they found weights in the C5, I want them out if I could find them. If anyone knows let me know, thanks... seriously, it just popped back in my brain and I really remember reading about someone removing actual weights on the C5...
All I can think I is removing the rear seats and the spare tire. But I'd you remove the spare tire it would be ok if you replaced your regular tires with run flats. Everything else is pretty much essential or have to be replaced by a lighter candidate.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

ughh, i think i never did it because it was hard to get to it or something. perhaps under the car near the rear, between the gas tank and chassis?
Old 03-15-2012, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It will make it even more nose heavy. Free up the front end if you must, A/C delete, battery relocation, etc...
Old 03-15-2012, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Here's the dirty little secret.....

There is no extra weight that was added in the engineering stage or during the production stage, we already drive a sedan with a heavy drivetrain
and if these cars got any less than 21mpg with a V6 on the highway sales would of been in wet toast land even in the begining of the C5 model run, the ony weight that was shed was into the late 02's to 04 with aluminum suspension uprights and the aluminum block 3.0, I notice a considerable difference between my 01 2.8 and 04 3.0 with ride and handling.

The only car manufacturer that I know that added weights was GM on the late 60's convertable Camaro and they were called ballasts filled with mecury
at the corners.

I doubt that Audi would add dead weight, it's just not cost effective any way you slice it.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by badinstincts
ughh, i think i never did it because it was hard to get to it or something. perhaps under the car near the rear, between the gas tank and chassis?
Actua I just pulled my rear seats thinking I'd reduce a good 50 lbs but it turns out those back seats are light as hell. Maybe 20 lbs. won't feel a big diff.
If you want to just pull the rear seats up. Simple as that no strings attached.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

I can't believe GM would use mercury as ballast. Of cource, Mercury was a dead weight to Ford....
Old 03-16-2012, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Perhaps it was a joke or something. I wasn't looking to remove seats, or my ac or anything, but I remember a picture with a guy removing weights from the C5, and if it was true, I wouldn't want any weights in my car... Whatever then...

Quick Reply: I remember that someone was removing weight from their A6 and