A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

I jumped: ST Coilovers on S6 Avant

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 09:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerry
So can anyone tell me how much these reduce the ride height of an S6 at their highest setting? The spec says 1.6 to 3" when I found them under A6. I'm not sur that I really want to drop my S6 1.6" for driveway clearance reasons. I am wondering if after 11 years maybe they have sagged a bit already, but I'm not quite sure I can afford a drop quite that far. I guess I need to check the ride height measurements in the Bentley manual and see where I am at this point.
At highest height, it should be pretty much where your S6 is stock. The measurement is based on the stock A6, not the factory dropped S6 or older A6 Sport.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

My take on the suspension differences.

First, i know there are differing opinions, but i have been told that there were absolutely 3 different spring color codes for '02-'03 S6s. So the baseline may be variable.

next, i would say that the overall spring rate difference is quite large. Yet, through good matching of springs to shocks, and good shock valving, the impact harshness is very similar. In some cases it is *better*. In other cases, a bit worse. But it is not harsh nor brittle. Its a very comfortable, albeit tight, ride.

The spring and damping control over lower-frequency, higher-amplitude stuff is vastly greater: not 10%.

Overall i could not be happier. Comfy ride and chase down p-cars on the track. Nice combo.

Grant
Old 07-01-2013, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 673 Likes on 487 Posts

Interestingly, if you go to ST's website, they do list these coilovers for the S6. I found this out after I had ordered from Tire Rack. You would save about fifty bucks ordering directly. Having driven it on a road trip now through the mountains, my only complaint is that I did not do this earlier.

Problems that I needed to address after installation?
1. My headlight levelers were out of whack and needed resetting. Sometimes the alert still indicates, however, it goes out in a few minutes.

2. The backup sonar is not aligned properly at my new car height. Not sure if I can adjust that or not.

3. Now my 18 inch wheels look pitifully small and narrow...sounds like expensive new wheels might be in order...ughhh :-)

4. Being an S6 Avant owner, I am used to people asking me about my wagon, however, dropped a bit it grabs a lot of attention. This might not be what you are looking for.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If they bolt into teh AR, i highly recommend it.

These should have come from the factory.

Grant
Old 10-03-2013, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 673 Likes on 487 Posts

Ok, update after city driving my new suspension for three months.

I dropped the car too low. I just raised it an inch this week to make the car easier to drive. I was scraping too many speedbumps and feeling too much DC road debris.

More importantly the cambre was too far out of what and I was chewing tires up. I suspect that was as much a result of a pothole crushing the alignment and a bent rim, but the bottom line is that I was chewing tires up during the four months on one particular rim. Though I was getting increased wear on the other three tires as well.

So I raised it another inch and now everything is sitting a little more flush with the road.

My advice to all would be to be prepared to do two full alignments after installing a new suspension. Once after installation and once about 90 days later. Also really keep a look out for tire wear. Tires are expensive and going through a couple is infuriating.

Finally, the coilovers are nice. The ride just feels tight. Car was 11 years old, but I wish I had done this a few years ago.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

The info on additional spring rate from the standard S6 rate is good to know. I own both an RS6 and S6 and wondered if the RS6 springs would firm up the S6. That said, this would present an issue with the springs overworking the S6 damper.

Can you post some pics of the setup after the suspension adjustments?
Old 10-10-2013, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm really glad you like it. I did have some strong opinions, now you know why!

I also have strong opinions that job #1 for most cars is a good alignment :-) In fact, at a recent PCA tech day the owner of a race shop was telling people "before you give me a lot of money, give me a little money".

Incidentally, the STs are just fine for the track too.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes. Its probably possible to get the ride height almost as high as stock S6.

Mine are probably 3/4" lower. Still very street-able.

See photo above

Grant
Old 10-10-2013, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

go and search - i wrote a magnum opus about this after i did the job.

Its really surprisingly comfortable. A great everyday commute/skiing/whatever car, that just happens to have vastly less pitch, roll, etc. than stock.

On my 16" wheels and 245/50-16 tires its nearly cushy. note I was turning ~2:30s around VIR.

Grant
Old 10-10-2013, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i actually think its slightly under-damped, on purpose to reduce impact. It does get a little jittery over quick bumps. Fair trade-off IMHO.

Grant

Quick Reply: I jumped: ST Coilovers on S6 Avant