A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

I jumped: ST Coilovers on S6 Avant

Old 06-28-2013, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 673 Likes on 487 Posts
Default I jumped: ST Coilovers on S6 Avant

I read a great many posts here and finally took Grant's advice and purchased ST coilovers for my Avant. I was leaning toward the KW variant 1 and just found too many drivers saying that while the ride was great it was often overly harsh. The corner handling was not worth the ride. Anyway, I actually contacted two Audi service departments and an Audi race org and they all stated, as Grant had, that the ST's are ideal for the S6 that will spend more time on the street than the track. Have I mentioned that they are half the price of the KW's and made by the same company?

Anyway, installation and an all wheel alignment later, wow. This is how the car should come stock. I have not really put it into hard turns yet and the springs are breaking in, but the car's turning is now purposeful and deliberate instead of yaw'y. Granted my old springs had 100K on them, however, I don't remember the turning on rails feeling before. I'll write a more detailed writ up after a few thousand miles, but by all indications now, the ST's are the way to go unless you really are planning on more track time than commuter time, then go with the KW's.

FWIW, and I have no idea where service departments get information like this, but one service department told me that Audi has actually looked at using the ST as the stock spring, however, there is no real requirement for the complexity of a coilover for stock, and it comes down to dollars and cents. The ST is simply more expensive than the stock springs. Again, where do people hear rumors like these?

Finally, I am in the NoVA area right now, and it is stunning the difference an alignment makes. This might become a six month habit instead of annually.

Thanks for the advice Grant (Just Me).
Old 06-28-2013, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. I may end up putting ST coilovers on my Allroad if and when I decide to get rid of the air suspension. Good price, and I dont' want a harsh ride.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A4 Phil
I read a great many posts here and finally took Grant's advice and purchased ST coilovers for my Avant. I was leaning toward the KW variant 1 and just found too many drivers saying that while the ride was great it was often overly harsh. The corner handling was not worth the ride. Anyway, I actually contacted two Audi service departments and an Audi race org and they all stated, as Grant had, that the ST's are ideal for the S6 that will spend more time on the street than the track. Have I mentioned that they are half the price of the KW's and made by the same company?

Anyway, installation and an all wheel alignment later, wow. This is how the car should come stock. I have not really put it into hard turns yet and the springs are breaking in, but the car's turning is now purposeful and deliberate instead of yaw'y. Granted my old springs had 100K on them, however, I don't remember the turning on rails feeling before. I'll write a more detailed writ up after a few thousand miles, but by all indications now, the ST's are the way to go unless you really are planning on more track time than commuter time, then go with the KW's.

FWIW, and I have no idea where service departments get information like this, but one service department told me that Audi has actually looked at using the ST as the stock spring, however, there is no real requirement for the complexity of a coilover for stock, and it comes down to dollars and cents. The ST is simply more expensive than the stock springs. Again, where do people hear rumors like these?

Finally, I am in the NoVA area right now, and it is stunning the difference an alignment makes. This might become a six month habit instead of annually.

Thanks for the advice Grant (Just Me).
Where did you get them from?
Old 06-29-2013, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Gerry
Where did you get them from?
I got mine from Tire Rack. They are actually slightly less expensive ordering from ST directly.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

So, how is the ride quality compared to stock? 10-20% firmer??? Thanks...
Old 06-29-2013, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by D's Avant
So, how is the ride quality compared to stock? 10-20% firmer??? Thanks...
Ride is firmer. Yes, in the 10% to 20% range, however, dampened nicely. When you hit rough stuff, the ride really does not suffer. On the other hand, cornering is a dream with that added stiffness.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Good that it's only 10-20% stiffer than a worn S6...how many miles on old suspension? 100K and new shocks alone will give great improvement.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by A4 Phil
I got mine from Tire Rack. They are actually slightly less expensive ordering from ST directly.
hmmmmm... don't see them there at the moment. Just a couple of KW sets. I wonder if they're getting hard to source.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerry
hmmmmm... don't see them there at the moment. Just a couple of KW sets. I wonder if they're getting hard to source.
Yep...A6, not S6, out of stock, due in July 4??!

Apparently the ST coilovers fit...but they're not specifically for the S6.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So can anyone tell me how much these reduce the ride height of an S6 at their highest setting? The spec says 1.6 to 3" when I found them under A6. I'm not sur that I really want to drop my S6 1.6" for driveway clearance reasons. I am wondering if after 11 years maybe they have sagged a bit already, but I'm not quite sure I can afford a drop quite that far. I guess I need to check the ride height measurements in the Bentley manual and see where I am at this point.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I jumped: ST Coilovers on S6 Avant