A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

I give up on the combi valve!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Panteras actually had to do that…step one, remove engine and transaxle assembly.
It wasn't that bad, either.
Soldering or brazing the unobtainium fuel tank was fun. Boiling water in empty tank, emptied out tank, filled tank with water and tipped on side with hole to be brazed up top…little air below spot, touch with torch, usually a small pop then braze like crazy, move on to next hole before all the water leaks out.

Today I'd just put in an aftermarket fuel cell...
Old 03-07-2014, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I hate my life. Apparently the adapter arm was cracked which is why it would never seal & was venting the exhaust gas. $130 from Audi + about $40 if I want the part overnighted so I can get the car back Monday afternoon. Plus the $250 labor... Ugh.

I don't know how the heck I didn't see the crack, it must have been pretty small! I wish I could get Saturday deliver in my area so I could order online and overnight it. Then that part delivered would only be $140 saving a few bucks at least...
Old 03-07-2014, 10:04 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by acarney
Well I hate my life. Apparently the adapter arm was cracked which is why it would never seal & was venting the exhaust gas. $130 from Audi + about $40 if I want the part overnighted so I can get the car back Monday afternoon. Plus the $250 labor... Ugh.

I don't know how the heck I didn't see the crack, it must have been pretty small! I wish I could get Saturday deliver in my area so I could order online and overnight it. Then that part delivered would only be $140 saving a few bucks at least...
Is this the little elbow on the back of the head? The pipe? I have a bunch of stuff.

4Driver4(AT)gmail
Old 03-07-2014, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Is this the little elbow on the back of the head? The pipe? I have a bunch of stuff.

4Driver4(AT)gmail
Ya. It's the like four to six inch long "adapter arm" that connects to the back of the engine and then connects to the bottom of the actual combination valve. Totally would have been awesome if I saw this first... But I already told the dealer to order it & overnight it so it'll be ready Monday afternoon instead of Wed/Thur :-/
Old 03-08-2014, 02:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Acarney - that totally sucks. I am sorry man. The good news is, you will have an engine with all new parts after all you've been through! You should be good for another 250,000 with regular maintenance, haha.

One day, you will look back at this and laugh. Or maybe not.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Acarney, you have everyone's condolences. I am sure it does not help much, but we have all had similar experiences. Most of the time a little help from the guys here, a little googling, an aftermarket part or two, and all is fine. But sometimes, you need to pay the piper. Good luck.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks guys. It totally sucks having to pay do much for an issue that I thought could be resolved with a ~$5 gasket AND for something that was most likely done by my indie (neither gasket had been installed it turns out, probably torqued too much and then a stress crack from heating/cooling cycles) BUT I have so much pride in my car now!! I can break it down and replace items and belts, gaskets and (some) hoses now. Change the fluids and bulbs. I feel like I can tackle just about anything without running to the dealer all the time now. I can source Audi parts online now for 20% discount or so (via genuineaudiparts.com ) and can help others with my stories and experience. Plus I've got a bunch of standard tools now & some of the special Audi tools (can lock bar, pin, support pins, etc)

Most of all, I know it's being done RIGHT. Between the dealer & my indie my belly pan had only like 3 screws holding it on for example. Now it's fully cleaned off and completely bolted on. It's stuff like that which makes me feel better about the car!

With new oil (yep, going to change it myself now, I figured I COULD but never did before because of the hassle, after this big job it's nothing AND the savings now will be worth it to keep me doing it), new gaskets, coolant, breather hose that's completely clear, I swear it runs smoother and better and I'm getting slightly better mileage. I love the car. I hate the price and (kinda) hate the work, but it's an Audi, my Audi.

Couldn't have done it without help from you guys more then a couple times. I'm sure I'll have more questions but hopefully not for a while once this combi valve is fixed. I THINK that is my last engine bay related issue currently...