A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2004 Audi A6 2.7T S-Line wheel fitment

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Audi A6 2.7T S-Line wheel fitment

whats up all,
been up and down various forums and write ups and cant find the info, ppl are rather aggressive or conservative. Thus trying my luck here

Finally settled on wheels for my car: Rotiform SNA 19x9
however need info on ET, they come with 2 options 35 and 40.
can someone suggest best offset and tire size with no rubbing and no fender work, really not looking to stretch tires and not looking for "poke" look. Simple flush and clean daily driver. Please consider light 1-1.5" lowering as a future option.

appreciate any input
Old 03-05-2014, 12:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 19's and no rubbing?

Originally Posted by HCKRU
whats up all,
been up and down various forums and write ups and cant find the info, ppl are rather aggressive or conservative. Thus trying my luck here

Finally settled on wheels for my car: Rotiform SNA 19x9
however need info on ET, they come with 2 options 35 and 40.
can someone suggest best offset and tire size with no rubbing and no fender work, really not looking to stretch tires and not looking for "poke" look. Simple flush and clean daily driver. Please consider light 1-1.5" lowering as a future option.

appreciate any input
Ok, i understand the posture you want the car to have, but aspect ratios and offsets on a tire that big will rub unless you have a damn lift kit for suspension. I am willing to bet that one of those rims will be bent by september. When you feel a little wobble at 55mph and up, you'll know. I deal with it on 18 inch rims and I have 9 of them! The rubs and such you will have to figure out by trial and error but i hope you either already have or are planning on an adjustable suspension. I know a 19 inch rim looks concentric and damn near perfect with the wheel housing, but having had the problems i've had with 18's, I would never go to 19's or 20's. Unless this lotto ticket scores me enough money for a fleet of solid gold powerboats and 50 CNC Bridgeports…. Damn!!!!

Last edited by Nialist; 03-05-2014 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-05-2014, 02:53 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Nialist
I know a 19 inch rim looks concentric and damn near perfect with the wheel housing, but having had the problems i've had with 18's, I would never go to 19's or 20's.
Depends on whether you want to look at your car or optimize the driving experience. Clearly this situation is the former. I don't really understand it, as I buy my cars to drive them, but I get that other people have other priorities.

If you want the car to drive well, buy the lightest, strongest 17 x 8 wheels you can find. If you like the dubs look, 19 inch boat anchors will work with the right tires and offsets.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I see your point, and agree with the wheel size for drivability and endurance. Minnesota's pot holes don't concern themselves with your looks! We are always striding for the best of both worlds, aren't we though? I remember a girl from college who wasn't the greatest to look at, but the skillfully crafted total experience that she provided was second to none! I doubt that reasoning would've went far with the friends and family at home, so there was no way I was bringing her to any picnics. Matter of function vs aesthetics, and like most things in life, the tradeoffs involved define us. Thank god for my selfish choices based on looks as the last i saw of her she looked like was aging in a rotisserie oven for 15 years. So the ride-ability would have meant nothing, unless i went blind and even then i am not so sure. But i digress…..

Last edited by Nialist; 03-06-2014 at 10:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-07-2014, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

For most people cars are means of transportation from point A to point B. However, to some motor heads like myself cars are expression of self, thus my liking of the looks and performance of my car is a must, i have to like my car from every aspect otherwise i will not own it. Of course most stock cars need work to get them to look and drive how you want, there are considerations that need to be aware of. Here in Southern California we do not have many issues with bad roads and with available options and technology out there many things are possible. As me being new to German market like anything else i seek input from people who have been in the industry for a while to rather reassure myself in the direction i am headed or simply doing my homework, although many people on forums are very critical and like to judge newcomers and i am good with that, but fact of the matter is i will still formulate my own opinion and stick to the plan as i have been working on cars my entire life. It a trial and error, where we learn on our mistakes.

Thanks to all for input and keep posting your opinions as all info is good info
Old 03-08-2014, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Just keep in mind that 19s will not necessarily give you better performance, but rather worse. What they will do is change the look, which is subjective. The added unsprung, rotating mass is not a good thing.

Those of us who advise for smaller wheels care very much about our cars, and choose the lightest, strongest wheel as a consequence - not despite that fact.

OTOH many find the look of large wheels to their liking. I actually prefer 17s, but run 16s for practical reasons. And yes, i even run 16s when i track this car occasionally. A 245/50-16 seriously gummy tire sticks very well. Much better than most "sport" 19s.

Grant

Last edited by Just Me; 03-08-2014 at 04:57 AM.