A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

HID FYI "The Truth in Engineering"

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HID FYI "The Truth in Engineering"

And the truth about a couple of pr codes you members might have.

As a member here my intentions are not to flame anybody when I'm sure about what I know, see and verify from the original source.

Today I reviewed my vin and pr codes with Audi in Auburn MI and the original sales dealership in Cincinnati Ohio about the functions of my xenon hid headlamps, here is were it starts.

If you have the pr codes;(codes are not created or edited by me)

8EH bi-functional headlight with gas discharge lamp, for driving on the right(US design)

and:

8Q3 automatic headlight-range adjustment dynamic (self-adjusting while driving)

These code descriptions are on my 2004 A6 with xenon hid headlamps and maybe yours too, so if you have these codes your headlamps do adjust when driving as I noticed and also verified by a service manager, parts representative, service technician and Audi a customer support rep.

My time is worth sharing this with the members here to enlighten our knowledge of what we have and what it does.

John V.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a feeling there's a difference in technology for the pre/post facelift C5s.

8JD Headlight With Gas Discharge Lamp For Driving On The Right (Us Design)

8Q2
Automatic Headlight-Range Adjustment Static

I see that combination on the first OP:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-database-list

I'd assume those don't self-adjust while in moving. But since I never had factory xenons, I can't be sure.

The option list for the headlights:
Old 01-30-2013, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting you should say this. I definitely noticed my Allroad headlights moving when driving over speed humps. Thought I'm imagining it, but seems correct.

I'll check the codes.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 8Q3 is the difference

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
Interesting you should say this. I definitely noticed my Allroad headlights moving when driving over speed humps. Thought I'm imagining it, but seems correct.

I'll check the codes.
I never thought I was imagining this since I've owned this car, funny thing is when I talked to Audi in MI today the contact took about 20 minutes between several questions to tell me that hey are not cornering adaptive like on the new big buck current models, another person had to dig up the right info.

The dealership of origin knew right from the get go about this option on my car and what it does, I was asked why this was a concern like "are they not adjusting or do you have a code" my reply without getting onto the full details about this forum suggested that they do not adjust when driving, there was a big pause with a laugh about internet miss-information including all Audi forums.

The man was a cool dude and I shared a few laughs with Travis at Beechmont Audi.

Last edited by jcman; 01-30-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgive me for not really having any idea where this topic originated from, but is the debate only whether or not they move while driving? Why would some cars (all with HIDs) be static and other dynamic if they all have motors in the headlights anyway? Does it depend on year or package level?? Just seems kind of pointless to have so many different HID options that I assume were out of the control of the customer.

Isn't it another thing entirely to have cornering adaptive lights? I've never heard of that on anything below, what, the C7 or really late C6? Once again, forgive me if i'm talking out of my ***, I have like no idea what you guys are talking about (besides the self-leveling headlights of which I have on my '99).

Last edited by nm3210; 01-30-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The info is alredy here

Originally Posted by nm3210
Forgive me for not really having any idea where this topic originated from, but is the debate only whether or not they move while driving? Why would some cars (all with HIDs) be static and other dynamic if they all have motors in the headlights anyway? Does it depend on year or package level?? Just seems kind of pointless to have so many different HID options that I assume were out of the control of the customer.

Isn't it another thing entirely to have cornering adaptive lights? I've never heard of that on anything below, what, the C7 or really late C6? Once again, forgive me if i'm talking out of my ***, I have like no idea what you guys are talking about (besides the self-leveling headlights of which I have on my '99).
The post originated because I felt the need to clear up, clarify and edumacate a few misconceptions regarding the HID pr code options and the cost inclusive evolution of this option pertaining to the C5.

I can't answer your questions about cornering adaptive systems other than I do know for sure the C5 never had them, just saw and talked to a D2 2001 S8 owner Tomas (a former QW member) an hour ago at the local beer store and he also has the 8Q3 pr hid option, but hey at 80+ thousand new then I could see that.

If you have a 99 chances are you have the 8Q1 or 8Q2 static leveling system.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI for future searchers....

From http://PRSearch.PlanetVAG.com...

PRCode: 8EH = Bi-functional headlight with gas discharge lamp for driving on the right(US design)
PRCode: 8Q0 = Without headlight-range adjustment
PRCode: 8Q1 = Headlight-range adjustment
PRCode: 8Q2 = Automatic headlight-range adjustment static
PRCode: 8Q3 = Automatic headlight-range adjustment dynamic (self-adjusting while driving)
PRCode: 8Q4 = Headlamp range adjustment with fixed bending light
PRCode: 8Q5 = Headlight-range adjustment automatic/ dynamic with dynamic bending light (AFS 1)
PRCode: 8Q6 = Headlight-range adjustment automatic/ dynamic with fixed and dynamic bending light(AFS 2)
PRCode: 8Q7 = Headlight-range adjustment

Cheers
Massboykie