A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

help have intermit engine not starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 05:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help have intermit engine not starting problem

so it started out it would only happen if i started it in the morning and drove short distance's shut car off then wouldnt start. looked up some thing someone said if it does this unhook battery wait 1 min then itll start. that works but now its getten worse and happening more?????????? someone said it could be the imbobilizer any thoughts and how can you change it or fix the isssue getting close to winter and i dont wana have to deal with this!!!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2013, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If it were the immobiliser, it's easy to identify.
The engine will turn over and start. It will then almost immediately stall.
This will be associated with a flashing yellow emblem in the speedo which looks like the front half of a car with a key in the rear half.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

One possibility is failing ignition switch. They have odd failure modes.

Your post's facts are not very structured, so its hard to use them for much analysis.

Grant
Old 09-28-2013, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jubuttie
so it started out it would only happen if i started it in the morning and drove short distance's shut car off then wouldnt start. looked up some thing someone said if it does this unhook battery wait 1 min then itll start. that works but now its getten worse and happening more?????????? someone said it could be the imbobilizer any thoughts and how can you change it or fix the isssue getting close to winter and i dont wana have to deal with this!!!!!!!!
Likely culprit is coolant temperature sensor. A common failure, similar symptoms to yours.

Other possibilities are cam position sensor an engine speed sensor.

Try to scan your car for codes. If no codes are present, replace the coolant temp sensor.

If still an issue, look into ignition switch and then fuel pump.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
Likely culprit is coolant temperature sensor. A common failure, similar symptoms to yours.

Other possibilities are cam position sensor an engine speed sensor.

Try to scan your car for codes. If no codes are present, replace the coolant temp sensor.

If still an issue, look into ignition switch and then fuel pump.

+1 for Coolant temp sensor. I know for sure on a 2.7T it is exactly what caused this behavior. On a 4.2, not 100% sure but would be the place to start imo.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by tester123
+1 for Coolant temp sensor. I know for sure on a 2.7T it is exactly what caused this behavior. On a 4.2, not 100% sure but would be the place to start imo.
The symptoms are the same for all engines. Had it on my 4.2
Old 09-30-2013, 03:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok wouldnt have thought it would be that in a million years. Ill look it up and replace it. Mow that i think about it temp gauge in dash goes from hot to cold all the time on its own. And im getten no codes i have a mac tools scanner. Ill let you guys know if that works
Old 09-30-2013, 05:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well changed the sensor kinda a pain in the *** with my big hands. Gauge in dash works now ill see tomorrow if the not starting issue is solved. Thanks again guys lot of help
Old 09-30-2013, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Jubuttie
Ok wouldnt have thought it would be that in a million years. Ill look it up and replace it. Mow that i think about it temp gauge in dash goes from hot to cold all the time on its own. And im getten no codes i have a mac tools scanner. Ill let you guys know if that works
A bad CTS sensor doesn't usually throw codes. It simply reports erroneous temperature, an the ECU prepares a wrong mixture.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
A bad CTS sensor doesn't usually throw codes. It simply reports erroneous temperature, an the ECU prepares a wrong mixture.
Well changing it didnt work. Drive this morning parked after a 50 min drive it sat for 2 hrs came out wouldt start had to fi thr battery trick

Quick Reply: help have intermit engine not starting problem