A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try to start the car with the gear selector in neutral.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couple weeks ago. I'm restoring it. The old headlight that was in it worked when car was running. Then it slowly began hard to get started. Had to pull the fuses for the central locking system module. Which I had a wire crossed when I put the new one in. It was draining the battery. Fixed that and bat has full charge. But will not start. When I turn the headlights on, I can hear a relay or something clicking on under the hood.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Rapytlarz
Couple weeks ago. I'm restoring it. The old headlight that was in it worked when car was running. Then it slowly began hard to get started. Had to pull the fuses for the central locking system module. Which I had a wire crossed when I put the new one in. It was draining the battery. Fixed that and bat has full charge. But will not start. When I turn the headlights on, I can hear a relay or something clicking on under the hood.
I'd forget about the headlamps right now because they will not come on until the engine is running, my 04 with HID's shut off when I turn the engine off just like its supposed to without turning the headlight switch off.

The central lock module wire short might of caused some damage relative to the starting problem but at this point I'd be more concerned about trouble shooting the no start problem.

Check fuses and relays for the ignition/starter

Last edited by jcman; 03-22-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you. I will work on that after work tomorrow. If u can dig up anymore info I'd appreciate it. I'm an industrial maintenance telectrician, but don't know nothing bout autos. Even though I work for Honda. Lol. Thank you very much.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thank you. I will work on that after work tomorrow. If u can dig up anymore info I'd appreciate it. I'm an industrial maintenance telectrician, but don't know nothing bout autos. Even though I work for Honda. Lol. Thank you very much.
No problem you're welcome.

Work for Honda...hmm...I'd bet those boys over there crack jokes on Teutonic cars like Achtung!, Verboten! and such.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Key turns over to start just fine. But just not even trying to start. Acc work fine.
On the starter, pull the smallest wire (It's a spade connector) Test for voltage there when you turn the key to start. No voltage could point to an ignition switch. (among many other things) Voltage there would mean a bad starter or a voltage problem at the starter itself. All this assuming you have 12v to begin with.

The lamps not coming on also indicate a possible bad switch but there are other things to check before you can commit.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by sounddude
On the starter, pull the smallest wire (It's a spade connector) Test for voltage there when you turn the key to start. No voltage could point to an ignition switch. (among many other things) Voltage there would mean a bad starter or a voltage problem at the starter itself. All this assuming you have 12v to begin with.

The lamps not coming on also indicate a possible bad switch but there are other things to check before you can commit.
Until the OP can get the engine running those HID's will not fire because of the J59 load reduction relay.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jcman
Until the OP can get the engine running those HID's will not fire because of the J59 load reduction relay.
For some reason I saw none of the last few posts when I wrote this. Now I look at it and there's 5 more posts before mine. Weird.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

???? I can turn on the HID lights on my car by turning on the headlight switch with the ignition switch turned on, even without the engine running.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

To the OP, SloopJohn B and Sounddude.

SloopJohnB is right and I was incorrect (sorry all) HID lamps will come on with the key in the on position, I rarely drive at night so I took the garage queen out and did notice this.

Quick Reply: Headlights