A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
That was my point..the limit was so high I never got in trouble.
Except for one ahole that objected to the two driving lights on my 280Z and two fog lights. I pointed out that many cars have four headlights and fogs so I was not illegal. Had to get his supervisor though. Guy went through my brakes with a fine tooth comb...got squat because I had new pads.
So glad I live somewhere with no inspections

Sorry you have (get to? :P) to get screwed over by crap like that
Old 03-08-2014, 08:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yea I noticed lol but there's only one type of HID lol any links to fog light lenses for a good price on an 01 A6? These ones I have are kinda foggy and I want a colored one . Or is that illegal? Want blue ones lol match the paint.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pyrobionic
Yea I noticed lol but there's only one type of HID lol any links to fog light lenses for a good price on an 01 A6? These ones I have are kinda foggy and I want a colored one . Or is that illegal? Want blue ones lol match the paint.
There is actually a couple different HIDs believe it or not, and the actual manufacture of the bulbs can make a big difference. Stick with genuine Philips bulbs!

For the blue color, yes it's probably illegal. I think ~5000k and below are probably the only legal ones (white down to yellowing white, think halogen color). With that said, I was asking Daniel Stern about selective yellow fog lights and he suggested instead buying Metal Cast paint by DupliColor ( http://www.duplicolor.com/products/metalCast/ ) and painting them myself. He said to let each coat "flash off" first, basically almost dry all the way, before the next and to make it a couple coats darker then what looks right.

You'll probably be disappointed in look of the light afterwards in the sense that YOU the driver probably won't be able to see much of any of it projected in front of you. (Can hardly see the fog light anyway with 2100 lumen bulbs) Also, it'll probably look weird being blue when you have white headlights just six inches or so above them... mismatched. (And don't buy high K HID bulbs unless you want to run over something because as soon as it's dark and rains you'll have reduced your light to casting like 15 feet in front of your car...)
Old 03-08-2014, 09:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I meant one color hahah. But thanks. And I want to see farther but with the laws here I can't get a lot of the good ****. But I make do . I need to adjust my headlights they shine a bit to low.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

I meant one color hahah. But thanks. And I want to see farther but with the laws here I can't get a lot of the good ****. But I make do . I need to adjust my headlights they shine a bit to low.
Where are you? The standard alignment for the A6's HIDs are pretty good when you have genuine philips HID bulbs. 6k+ lumens does a pretty good job with the road... by far the best headlights I've been behind. (Though to be honest I haven't driven any new cars with HIDs)

If you're talking high beams, order those bulbs I linked to. You should be able to get them shipped anywhere in the USA and like I said, I doubt you'll have any legal issues unless you have inspections OR you use them constantly when oncoming traffic is around and happen to **** off a cop with them.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm in tutah the blues and yellows are all illegal. We're lucky to be able to tint the lights lol and irk if I like HID they're expensive and not all that much better then a good bulb. Supposed to last a lot longer tho. Guess I'll find out. But every time I see a car drive by with blur lights or yellow dogs they are pulled over doe the road. I want to maximize visibility but plain white is boring haha I'll try Phillips. I can't remember what brand of HID I got. It's been a minute.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by acarney

Where are you? The standard alignment for the A6's HIDs are pretty good when you have genuine philips HID bulbs. 6k+ lumens does a pretty good job with the road... by far the best headlights I've been behind. (Though to be honest I haven't driven any new cars with HIDs)

If you're talking high beams, order those bulbs I linked to. You should be able to get them shipped anywhere in the USA and like I said, I doubt you'll have any legal issues unless you have inspections OR you use them constantly when oncoming traffic is around and happen to **** off a cop with them.
And also my passenger headlight is missing the bottom 2 mounts so it juggles around I need new assemblies just do t want to spend $300 each. If I do I'm going to see if there's a different type of setup so they aren't just stock.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm in tutah the blues and yellows are all illegal. We're lucky to be able to tint the lights lol and irk if I like HID they're expensive and not all that much better then a good bulb. Supposed to last a lot longer tho. Guess I'll find out. But every time I see a car drive by with blur lights or yellow dogs they are pulled over doe the road. I want to maximize visibility but plain white is boring haha I'll try Phillips. I can't remember what brand of HID I got. It's been a minute.
HID's are by far better then a normal bulb! The lumen output of a standard halogen bulb is like 700 to 1200 lumens. The stock HIDs are 3400 lumens each. A huge amount of light being projected down on the ground. Possibly your lenses are so hazed over that it seems like less then a halogen amount of light. You can clear them up by yourself if you've got a random orbital or something (hell, maybe even good results from a hand drill and the right kit) or you can find a detailer that probably would do it for like $50 or less. It'll bring back almost brand new look and a HUGE increase in light. (You should be able to see a razor sharp cut off line again)

From my understanding selective yellow wasn't illegal anywhere in the USA, but maybe that's changed, or maybe it's only for fog lights... The HID bulbs that are yellow though probably aren't good quality, I don't think philips makes any tinted like that.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by rogmac1175
So I am pretty sure my HID bulbs are older. They are very "yellowish".

What is the best place to buy new ones? Expensive? Also, what is the "K" rating on the factories. I would like something a TINY but more bluish white or white white.
Perhaps if we hang in there a couple more years or even less LED conversions will be available. The new LED headlights on the 2015A6 are interesting. And laser headlights are in the near future.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com

Perhaps if we hang in there a couple more years or even less LED conversions will be available. The new LED headlights on the 2015A6 are interesting. And laser headlights are in the near future.
I hear laser might not be allowed on the streets. Only track and courses. Lol