A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Need opinion on transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 05:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need opinion on transmission

It has been a very long time since I have posted but thought I'd give it a try for opinions on my 01 A6 Avant transmission. To make a long story short the tranny went out at 150K. It was the common problem of the bushing slipping off of the TC and onto the pump which burned out the TC. Thinking that the tranny was probably damaged I bought a good used one with 86K on it. After inspection by the garage we found the same thing starting so took it to a mechanic which works on Audi tranmissions (he builds transmisions as well for competition trucks). On the newer used transmission I had him replace the TC, pump and improved bushing. He went through the entire tranny and said everything looked fine. He bench tested the valve body and said everyting is ok. I took the tranny back to the garage and had it installed and filled according to Audi specs. After filling the garage cound not get it into gear. Supposedly took close to 9 liters with TC included. They pulled the harness to see if it would go into limp mode and nothing.

I took the car home and parked it. At this time the car was in neutral no matter what gear was selected. I ran a VAGCOM diagnosis on it and changed through the gears and all the electronics seemed fine in terms of the selector. When I ran the diagnosis for the solenoid valves the resistance was fine and they produced the click (I think these were for No. 88, No.89 and No. 90 although they might be 89,90,91/92 as I am recalling from memory). The "pressure" solenoids all tested within resistance but running the manual test only No. 215 produced the "clicking" sound while the other three did not. It seems from the begining that no pressure was ever built up in the transmission. Is there a case where the resistance of the "pressure" valves would be ok but they would not be functioning properly (possibly clogged) ? After a recent testing it seems that the transmission is in first gear (according the the VAGCOM read out) and will not go into neutral. I should add that no error codes appear for the transmission but it seems that the TCU is ok as I am able to run the diagnostics on the tranny.

Where would one start on this problem ? Pull the pan and check the valve body and solenoids ? I have been in touch with the guy who went over the transmission but I can not get him to come look at it.

Any information / recommendation would be appreciated.

Jeff