A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004
Old 08-15-2016, 10:52 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C5) Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY REMOVAL

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait what? These instructions were to remove the entire headlight assembly, were you just trying to replace a bulb? That can usually be done without removing anything except the back cover and maybe some air ducts in the way (depending on what side of the car you're on). I know this is the case for my '99 A6, I've replaced [all] my bulbs with them still fully screwed in.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by joeyd
thanks appreciate it the only problem im having is finding the third and fourth bolt on the passenger side because i have to replace the ballast
Can someone please tell me the size of the torx bolts that secure the headlight assembly? Thanks.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this info, especially the pics. Just replaced the headlamps and foglights on my 98 A6. The fogs were dead simple but the headlights were a royal PITA.

I picked up a 12" extension from Home Depot. One end was magnetic and held my torx driver perfectly. The other end fit into a 1/4" driver. Easy peasy.

However, I had a heck of a time with the electrical connections. Took me forever to get the connectors off the back of the lamp assemblies. Then they would not connect to the after market units I had purchased.

I need to aim them.

Note: I replaced my lights because despite repeated attempts, I could not get rid of the clouding / yellowing, and it was significantly impacting light output. However, once I examined the old units, I was shocked at the deterioration of the wires inside the units. Brittle, insulation flaking off - I can't believe I did not have a short before now. Anyone else with 15 year old headlight, might want to check them.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Good on you! With replaced HID units they almost doubled the value of the car.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Yup no need to remove bumper.

Thanks so much!!! This thread was a life saver when changing my factory headlights to the light tube DRL headlights on my 2000 audi a6 Quattro 2.8 only took bout an hour You'll need an 8 inch extender no bigger then 1/4 for that service hole though. I jacked the car up so I could reach in and line it up on the drivers side. On the passengers side I took the black casing off the air filter and could reach in with out jacking that side up. Be sure to tilt the side that fits in the white adjustable holder first then push easy to fit the light into the slot flush. I'll have pics soon of before and after its pretty sweet this was actually not hard at all with the right tools.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Broke plastic locating tab on headlight :-(

Hey all, just tried to remove the headlight and gave it a quick pull (after removing the 3 bolts) and the locating 'tab' in the 'white plastic thingy' broke off...do you think there is anything to worry about??

I'm just trying to get at the headlight washer as I have a leak there somewhere...think I'll remove the bumper next.

Cheers
Stu
Old 11-26-2014, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default B5 S4 outer retaining bolt

Hey guys:
Did anyone take a picture of the outside retaining bolt? My B5 S4 doesn't seem to have them, just the hollow black plastic nut on the outer back of the headlight assembly and the speed nut in the rad support header. Looks like a 6 mm stud, but is there a sleeve that goes over the bolt? The hole in the headlight plastic nut is about 12.5 mm. None of the audi dealers I've talked to can figure out the answer as it's not shown on their parts diagram for the light, the rad support header or the fender.
Bernie
Old 11-26-2014, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by sbonsey
Hey all, just tried to remove the headlight and gave it a quick pull (after removing the 3 bolts) and the locating 'tab' in the 'white plastic thingy' broke off...do you think there is anything to worry about??

I'm just trying to get at the headlight washer as I have a leak there somewhere...think I'll remove the bumper next.

Cheers
Stu
That white thingy locates the inside edge of the headlight assembly. The assembly will likely move around or rattle without it. It's available as a repair part. Replace it.

The headlight washer may just have popped out one of the alien's eyes…you don't have to remove the bumper to replace the stalk and the alien's head…just yank it out and take apart the new washer head and stick it in and pop in the old washer cover.