A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Has anyone discussed/done a 2.7t swap into a 4.2 widebody?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 12:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone discussed/done a 2.7t swap into a 4.2 widebody?

I did some searching around and didn't even find it discussed in the past, has anyone swapped a 2.7t into the 4.2 widebody A6? I would also swap in an 01E 6-speed with it, and I'm aware of what's involved with that swap, but I've seen nothing about the motor swap. I assume the subframes are different? Any thoughts on what's involved?
Old 12-21-2009, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

There used to be a member on this board(whose name escapes me at the moment) who did a RS6 body conversion to a 4.2 and put in a tuned 2.7t with a 6mt...car was pretty sweet.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I actually just completed my swap. 2.7T w/ auto (6 Speed coming) into my 2000 A6 4.2. Totally different car now especially with the APR's stage 2+
Old 12-21-2009, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My man, questions for you...

Originally Posted by pohsib
I actually just completed my swap. 2.7T w/ auto (6 Speed coming) into my 2000 A6 4.2. Totally different car now especially with the APR's stage 2+
Did you use the following parts from a 2.7t car-

-Rear diff (I heard that some of the 4.2's actually already use the same code rear diff as the 2.7's, with the 4.11 final drive)?
-Driveline
-Halfshafts

Actually, since you did a tip, all of those would be different than what I'm doing anywho. What did you do for the wiring harness? Did you need to swap in the entire 2.7t subframe (how did you work the motor mounts?)? Do you by chance have any pics of the engine bay from the top? Is there noticably more room between the rear of the engine and the firewall? Was there any issue with the shorter 2.7t motor not fitting the snub mount in the front carrier or anything like that? Looking forward to your input!
Old 12-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Happy to share my experiences. See below to the answers.

Originally Posted by jibberjive
Did you use the following parts from a 2.7t car-

-Rear diff (I heard that some of the 4.2's actually already use the same code rear diff as the 2.7's, with the 4.11 final drive)?

I used the rear diff from the 2.7. Yes the parts are identical but the gearing is completely different. The front and rear must have the same ratios and the 4.2 has I think 2.73 where as the 2.7T has 3.87. This gear ratio is the same in the front and rear diff so you can't interchange them. I was thinking about removing the front and rear diffs from the 4.2 and transplating them as I wanted greated fuel efficency for long trips but though that the TCU might be coded for that specific ratios.

-Driveline

I used the entire driveline from the 2.7T including the half shafts, driveshaft and rear diff.

-Halfshafts

Actually, since you did a tip, all of those would be different than what I'm doing anywho.

You would still need to replace the full drivetrain.

What did you do for the wiring harness?

I used the original interior wiring harness from my 2000 A6 4.2. For the engine harness, my engine was from a 01 A6 and so I used that harness. The wiring still needs attention for the 5 connectors that goes into the interior. I bought a Bentley and will bee looking at what differences there are. Initially, I tried using the original ECU from the A6 which was a 4B0 907 551Q which had IMMO 3 and apparently teh 01 and up has IMMO 3 which caused a slight problem everytime I tried to start up the car. Solved that with an APR chip and some S4 Stage 2+ tuning.

Did you need to swap in the entire 2.7t subframe (how did you work the motor mounts?)?

This part I thought was going to be the biggest nightmare of all. In fact, it was the simpliest things of the whole swap. I took the motor mounts from the 2.7T and used them with the 4.2 sub frame. You have to use the 4.2 because the way the subframe bolts to the body is differnt than the 2.7T The holes are wider apart on the 4.2 probably to accomodate the bigger engine. Other than that, the way teh engine and transmission sits in the frame is identical. You'll notice that the transmission mounts are larger ont he 4.2 but the subframe is recessed so the mounting point is identical to the 2.7T

Do you by chance have any pics of the engine bay from the top? Is there noticably more room between the rear of the engine and the firewall?

Because the engine sits in almost the same position in the subframe, the distance betweent he engine and the firewall is very close to the A6 2.7T. However the front is another story. There is a much larger gap betweenthe carrier and the engine. I could probably do the timing belt service without removing the carrier now!

Was there any issue with the shorter 2.7t motor not fitting the snub mount in the front carrier or anything like that?

No way will the snub mount fit. Right now I'm not using it but I will have to fab up a bracket to make it work. I may use the 4.2's front mount plate to make it work but since I will be installing a FMIC, I may have to cut that off the rail. I really don't want to so I may just end up having a custome IC pipe made to accomodate the constraints.

Some final points. Going 6 speed will run you into another issue to think about. When I was connecting the shift cable from the multi-function switch, the 2.7T cable did not bolt up as it should have. I am not 100% sure but there may have been an adapter to make up the difference that I probably lost at some point. If this is the case, then you will have no problem with the shifter linkage. However you may need to fab up something if it doesn't.

As for the carrier, I used the original 4.2 front end including radiator and carrier. You will to make a custom upper rad hose as bother upper and lower are on the passenger side on the 4.2 radiator. I much prefer to use the 4.2 radiator because its huge compared to the 2.7 one and after a hard run, its still maintains 90 degree temperatures even without the mechanical fan. (I took mine off and have an electrical fan similar to the VAST kit that I will be putting in soon)

Happy Holidays!

Looking forward to your input!
Old 12-21-2009, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Very interesting stuff here. I wonder if it would be so involved putting a 2.7T 6speed mt in my 2.8 5speed mt.

U guys have got me thinking.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just buy a working 2.7T 6-speed for $5k and keep the 2.8. You'll have a reliable car, a fun car, fewer headaches, and less work.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JerzyBoy973
Very interesting stuff here. I wonder if it would be so involved putting a 2.7T 6speed mt in my 2.8 5speed mt.

U guys have got me thinking.
It would be a less involved, but it wouldn't be worth it to me, if I were you. The whole thing about the swap I'm considering is the fact that they don't have a manual transmission widebody 4.2 the US, nor a manual RS6. It would be like getting a manual tranny RS6. If I were in your situ and I really wanted a 2.7t and manual, I'd just save myself the headache and buy one already done (unless you've got crazy unique body modifications or something.) Just my opinion.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So why not just swap the transmission from the 2.7T into the 4.2? Order all the turbo and management parts from ebay.de and lower the engine's compression and you'll have some sort of 450hp v8 6-speed awd wide body car. I'm hoping to do something like that - the transmission, all the (probably undersized) turbo parts, and the rs6 intake manifold are either here or on the way, so I'll keep you updated as to how it pans out. Seems like the only benefit to the 2.7T is that it's already turbocharged.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Well, that would be way more expensive (and more difficult) for less power...

Originally Posted by Redneck Truck
So why not just swap the transmission from the 2.7T into the 4.2? Order all the turbo and management parts from ebay.de and lower the engine's compression and you'll have some sort of 450hp v8 6-speed awd wide body car. I'm hoping to do something like that - the transmission, all the (probably undersized) turbo parts, and the rs6 intake manifold are either here or on the way, so I'll keep you updated as to how it pans out. Seems like the only benefit to the 2.7T is that it's already turbocharged.
If you turbo charge the 4.2 you would need to drop the compression, like you said. Are you planning on changing the compression ratio with the pistons, or doing compression dropping headgaskets? What's your final compression ratio going to be? I'm not the most familiar with the NA 4.2 engine, but are the stock pistons or rods forged? If the pistons aren't forged, I'd probably replace them, as well as the rods, for safety when running RS6 levels of boost. The fact that those pistons would likely have to be custom (I haven't done any research on that) would make them crazy expensive, and add to that that you need 8 of each rather than 6 with the 2.7t. What are the 4.2 exhaust valves made of? I know the 2.7t exhaust valves are sodium filled to be able to handle the high heat of a turbo application while their 2.8 naturally aspirated counterparts aren't. So if the exhaust valves need to be swapped out, then that's also a ton more money/effort (again, especially considering the 8 cyl vs 6 cyl). The engine management (I assume you're going to use an RS6 engine harness?) I'm sure is going to be alot more complex to integrate with the hybrid N/A 4.2 motor with turbos on it and a manual transmission than it would be to simply swap in a 2.7t manual harness/engine recode. RS6 parts are generally way more expensive than anything (for example the intake mani), while 2.7t's are a dime a dozen. Add to that that I would be able to sell my good 4.2 motor and tip tranny, I'd likely break even after buying the 2.7 engine and tranny. After all of that engine work on the 4.2 (if one were to do all of that), you're still limited to the RS6 turbos if you use those manifolds. With the 2.7t together with all of the added space left over in the 4.2 engine bay, I may get crazy and do a big single turbo, so I'd be running a fair amount more than 450hp. Engine-wise, all I would have to do is throw in $800 connecting rods and the engine will take all of the power I can throw at it. I might even try my hand at self-tuning the thing ha. In the end, for me a 2.7 swap is just simpler, cheaper, and more applicable for my end goals.

I don't mean this to be a downer to you or your idea in any way; if you have the means and desire to turbo your 4.2, all the more power to you! It'll be sick!

Quick Reply: Has anyone discussed/done a 2.7t swap into a 4.2 widebody?