A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

hard shift into reverse and drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 05:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hard shift into reverse and drive

So i changed out my tranni fluid because the vehicle was jerking up hills and when the gas was pressed to quickly i did change it with the one recomeended by car quest this fluid is called automatikgetriebeol made by febi bilstein its application reccomendations are:

Vw lt 71141
Vw tl 521 62
Dex lll f

It also says on the quart -nr./repl-no G 052 162 A2
which i thing if im not correct the right fluid for my 1998 A6 sport edistion zf tranni..

There was a complication i encountered after taking my car back to the shop and letting my instructor know that the filter didnt seat right he explained the hard ahift might be from air entering with the fluid into the vavle body(VB) causing the hard shift... well we took off the filter to find out two other seals had been left in the whole where the filter inserts into the VB we managed to take the out and filter seats just right now ots been a couple days and havent drove the cars but maybe six times since...

Not only did that happen when i filled the oil i was a quart low because i didnt leave car running while filling i turned it on ahifted the turned it off and filled... i did this three times but still ended up a quart to fill the night we left it running and added fluid...

Could there still be air in the tranni causing the hard shift or can it be the oil i used or the lack of a quart i dont see the lack of a quart bein the issue cause the vehicle was only driven mayb a hour and a half if that with a quart low and was doing just fine when it was driving?? The hard ahift didnt come till after it sat over night.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What I do know is if you ignore this problem, and avoid the dealership on this one like you avoid punctuation, you might be walking to the podium for your World's Longest Sentence award. I think you should brace yourself for some bad news here my man. None of this sounds good to me, and i don't want to be the one who blows your mind with prices for the fix here. New years resolution to not depress people for my own joy, so… How bout that Dennis Rodman??????
Old 01-11-2014, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nialist
... New years resolution to not depress people for my own joy, so… How bout that Dennis Rodman??????
Oh, going soft here aren't you?... . Well, I commend your effort.

To "Werick", you may have some good automotive knowledge/experience. What I would say at this point is that the fluid you put in is your problem and NOT the air inside transmission. The transmission is "air tight" or "vacuum sealed".
Old 01-11-2014, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its not the fluid, gimme a break, it has the correct VW spec on it. The fluid IS NOT even SPECIAL!!! Its just dexron III with some extra synthetic base oils for longer life and no red dye. Big deal. I have NEVER used oem fluid and yet to ever have a problem. Iv even had cheap customers use just regular cheap dexron in thier own cars, they shift perfect. If you are filling the trans, car LEVEL, no at any kind of angle, it should take a hair under 6 quarts with a pan drop. Car level, pump it in, till it runs out, start the engine, continue filling until it runs out again. Its full, try not to exceed 104F fluid temps or you will under fill. If you didnt seat the filter right then yes, it will suck air and do weird things like slams and bangs. Seeing how you changed the fluid because it was acting badly, fluid change is PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE, not wait till its almost destroyed from 150k of the same fluid then change it. So its probably just a junk trans from never being serviced. Fluid change cant fix worn clutches and hard seals

And to Tester123 that said the transmission is air tight or under vacuum is COMPLETELY Misinformed, and should stop spewing misinformation. There are vents on the top of the trans like all trasnmissions, this sealed for life BS is a marketing term, NOT a technical term. It NOT sealed, if it was, pressure would blow all the seals out as the fluid warmed up. There no more special or sealed than a chevy cavalier transmission.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 01-11-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Its not the fluid, gimme a break, it has the correct VW spec on it. The fluid IS NOT even SPECIAL!!! Its just dexron III with some extra synthetic base oils for longer life and no red dye. Big deal. I have NEVER used oem fluid and yet to ever have a problem. Iv even had cheap customers use just regular cheap dexron in thier own cars, they shift perfect. If you are filling the trans, car LEVEL, no at any kind of angle, it should take a hair under 6 quarts with a pan drop. Car level, pump it in, till it runs out, start the engine, continue filling until it runs out again. Its full, try not to exceed 104F fluid temps or you will under fill. If you didnt seat the filter right then yes, it will suck air and do weird things like slams and bangs. Seeing how you changed the fluid because it was acting badly, fluid change is PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE, not wait till its almost destroyed from 150k of the same fluid then change it. So its probably just a junk trans from never being serviced. Fluid change cant fix worn clutches and hard seals

And to Tester123 that said the transmission is air tight or under vacuum is COMPLETELY Misinformed, and should stop spewing misinformation. There are vents on the top of the trans like all trasnmissions, this sealed for life BS is a marketing term, NOT a technical term. It NOT sealed, if it was, pressure would blow all the seals out as the fluid warmed up. There no more special or sealed than a chevy cavalier transmission.
So your saying teanni was already trash i understand but the hard shifting didnt come till after the fluid change that is why im wondering if it was the fluid or jus air and if it is the air when will it go away??
Old 01-11-2014, 08:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ight real talk oif you don have any knowledge on the situation and are really worried bout spelling mayb you shouldnt bother to write on the forums i need info on the situation not some dumbness i can figure up myself....
Old 01-12-2014, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
It is clearly a typo on my part. You are absolutely right that it is NOT air tight.. that's what I was trying to say... but my keyboard and proof reading skills apparently, are sharper than my thinking skills.

It was during my reply to the point,"werick" mentioned in his post:
Originally Posted by werick
...Could there still be air in the tranni causing the hard shift...
... I was saying (or thinking at least) that it is NOT the air..... but didn't type the "NOT" part...

I don't like/wish to misinform people here or anywhere. If you read my posts, you'll know I always leave room in my replies that I could be wrong (when I am not absolutely sure). I apologize for any confusion.

Last edited by tester123; 01-12-2014 at 03:42 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ight real talk oif you don have any knowledge on the situation and are really worried bout spelling mayb you shouldnt bother to write on the forums i need info on the situation not some dumbness i can figure up myself....
Did you reseat the filter? You should check the fluid level one more time.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
Did you reseat the filter? You should check the fluid level one more time.
Yea we reset it the other night and filled the pan again....
Old 01-12-2014, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea we reset it the other night and filled the pan again....

That is too bad. You could still have dirt and it is interfering with the valve body. You could drain the fluid and replace with new one again. It isn't cheap, but I successfully used off-the-shelf fluid at mr transmission to get rid of vibration at light acceleration between 1500 and 1800 RPm in my A6 with the 4.2 and 5HP24 transmission. It worked like a charm.

Quick Reply: hard shift into reverse and drive