A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Had my instrument cluster lcd repaired, now showing incorrect consumption and speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had my instrument cluster lcd repaired, now showing incorrect consumption and speed

HELP!!!

I went and had my instrument cluster LCD repaired today and noticed that the consumption both instantaneous and average on the display is totally incorrect. it also says my average speed is 6 kph.

I have a 4.2 A6 c5.
The guy was also trying to get my steering wheel MF buttons to work so was playing around with it.

Anyone else had this issue? could he have coded the wrong engine?

HELP!!
Old 05-01-2015, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 173 Likes on 163 Posts

I have had three LCD panels repaired (on three different cars), and this has never happened to me. My first guess would be to reseat each of the cables on the back of the cluster and see if that makes a difference.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by georgeb944
I have had three LCD panels repaired (on three different cars), and this has never happened to me. My first guess would be to reseat each of the cables on the back of the cluster and see if that makes a difference.
I wonder if you might comment on where you've had them done and your thoughts on the process. Was it done locally or did you remove the instrument panel and send it out?
Old 05-02-2015, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks Gerry, I will reseat them and advise back what happens.
I took the car to a workshop locally where the guy repaired the screen and put it back on. He did play around with VAG Com as he was trying to get my steering wheel controls to work again. Im hoping it is something really simple like a cable reseat!

Is there any particular order of reconnecting the cables?
Old 05-02-2015, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Peter McCarthy
Thanks Gerry, I will reseat them and advise back what happens.
I took the car to a workshop locally where the guy repaired the screen and put it back on. He did play around with VAG Com as he was trying to get my steering wheel controls to work again. Im hoping it is something really simple like a cable reseat!

Is there any particular order of reconnecting the cables?
No particular order, although the passenger side cables seem to be best fit in first, then the driver side cable.

That said, it is more likely that "playing around with VAG Com" is the cause of your problem. If your mechanic was worth his pay, he wrote down how things were before he started playing around.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Gerry
I wonder if you might comment on where you've had them done and your thoughts on the process. Was it done locally or did you remove the instrument panel and send it out?
I removed the cluster and sent it out to a rebuilder. Shop has quick turnaround and excellent customer service. Google "speedo solutions".
Old 05-02-2015, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

No particular order, although the passenger side cables seem to be best fit in first, then the driver side cable.

That said, it is more likely that "playing around with VAG Com" is the cause of your problem. If your mechanic was worth his pay, he wrote down how things were before he started playing around.

Nope, of course not! He did modify the language on the display as one of the menu items was in german.

I get a gut feeling that he has programmed the car as a 2 litre as I had to remind him it was a v8!!

Kind of irritating as im kicking myself I did not opt for the VDO screen replacement!!
Old 05-05-2015, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I removed the cluster and sent it out to a rebuilder. Shop has quick turnaround and excellent customer service. Google "speedo solutions".
could you advise as to who that shop is?
Old 05-05-2015, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Gerry
could you advise as to who that shop is?
Google "speedo solutions".
Old 05-05-2015, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Google "speedo solutions".
Thanks! Have you by chance seen any procedures in the forum for removing the panel? I've not had it out before.

Quick Reply: Had my instrument cluster lcd repaired, now showing incorrect consumption and speed