A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

General advice on Timing Belt Service

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 03:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From all the research (post purchase, of course) sounds like the 3.0 engine is a dud. That said...if this were you're car at 12 yrs old and ~ 90K miles would you start digging? Or would you just drive it.

Could you imagine replacing a cam shaft and rebuilding a head in one of the cylinder banks just to have the same thing happen (completely related) in the other cylinder bank in 6 months or a year?

This is very interesting to me. Thanks for all the thoughts.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 3.0 a dud?

Naw, your just reading posts on a small percent of cam lobe wear problems probably caused by lack of proper oil changes or proper oil.

As always the usual members dog this engine without even owning one, I know three Audi owners who have a 3.0 "no major problems" including myself in a 04 A6 with 84k "no problems" so far. The best advice I can share as it stands with any car is age can be more wearing than miles as seals and bearing grease degrades relative to the TB service parts, so before you do a full TB service pull those VC's and check the exhaust cams and tappets before you move forward.

Good Luck!

Like a dog I have to defend something again, so it be said.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
It means that you bent valves on one cylinder. This cylinder is not working, and you're driving on 5 cylinders. Your power will be down, at least part of the time, and your gas mileage will suffer.

IF that is your issue, to fix it requires removal of the cylinder head and rebuilding it.

This is a somewhat common failure on the 3.0 engine.

Get the car to the indy ASAP and figure out why the misfires first. And get a quote for teh head rebuild (if that's what it is) and the TB service, and then decide if you want to invest $2.5K+ into this car.
Okay I am missing something now. How does one bend a valve exactly in this situation? It's not like with a worn down cam the valve stays open longer and gets hit by a piston. What did I miss?

I would expect misfires as it backfires through the intake .

Last edited by Airbag; 09-16-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:40 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by number1ceo
To be even more clear, If I continue to drive with say 1 or 2 bent valves, what am I looking at long term? Will the issue cause further problems (like a blown head gasket, for example)?

You do not have any bent valves. None. Zero. Nada.

You probably have issues with the cams being worn, the worst issue with the 3.0.
Someone needs to remove the valve covers and inspect the damage. Honestly, you are looking at big money here. I would strongly consider sending this car back to action and finding a nice 2.7 or 4.2.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by jcman
Naw, your just reading posts on a small percent of cam lobe wear problems probably caused by lack of proper oil changes or proper oil.

As always the usual members dog this engine without even owning one, I know three Audi owners who have a 3.0 "no major problems" including myself in a 04 A6 with 84k "no problems" so far. The best advice I can share as it stands with any car is age can be more wearing than miles as seals and bearing grease degrades relative to the TB service parts, so before you do a full TB service pull those VC's and check the exhaust cams and tappets before you move forward.

Good Luck!

Like a dog I have to defend something again, so it be said.
Things got better in 2004, which are by far the best 3.0 engines. 2004 is the only year I would consider owning. 2002...um, no.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the input. What happens when you drive with a few bent valves?
There are numerous possibilities but continued use can easily do irreparable damage to the head as well as risk a catastrophic failure if the bent valve moving through the valve guide stresses it enough for the guide to destruct.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Airbag
Okay I am missing something now. How does one bend a valve exactly in this situation? It's not like with a worn down cam the valve stays open longer and gets hit by a piston. What did I miss?

I would expect misfires as it backfires through the intake .
I guess he wouldn't necessarily bend valves if the worn cam lobe fails to open them fully...

Well, save some money and labour on that!

So to replace the cam (if that's the issue), does the head need to come off?
Old 09-16-2013, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
I guess he wouldn't necessarily bend valves if the worn cam lobe fails to open them fully...

Well, save some money and labour on that!

So to replace the cam (if that's the issue), does the head need to come off?
No. Not too much different than the operation to change the tensioner seals actually. I imagine a few bucks tho.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well after spending a few hours on the forums this morning troubleshooting the stumble at idle and the cylinder misfires, and it sounds like it could be a combination of:

vacuum leak
catalytic converter
worn cam lobe
bad lifter
bent valve(s)
that timing belt skipped a tooth or two
wiring harness for the coil packs
camshaft position sensor (though no specific codes)
MAF sensor (though no specific codes)

With my luck its multiple things, and probably several thousand dollars of investment. I only paid $3300 for it. I still want to do the TB service.

I did reset all the codes today, so I'll give it a few days of driving and run a check again and see what codes come around. I'll let you all know. Much appreciate everyone's input.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Thanks for the input. What happens when you drive with a few bent valves?
Generally you can't. The engine will stop when it bends the valves.

Quick Reply: General advice on Timing Belt Service