A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

fuel filter and trans fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by rex2001
Should we do the differential too? Local dealer also quote $600. BTW, they would not recommend change fluid if the engine has over 150,000km(100,000 miles).
YES. you SHOULD to the differential, transfer case, AND Tranny fluid changes.

These are all maintenance fluids which REQUIRE changing at periodic intervals. All 3 of these fluids are prone to breadown and I'm certain that the smell of the fluid in the tranny (and others) will prove how nasty the actual fluid has become over years of use/abuse.

BTW, these were the almost the 1st things I did with my prior C5 and my new C6...my old C5 had over 170K miles on it before I sold it BTW...and absolutely no tranny issues whatsoever.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99

YES. you SHOULD to the differential, transfer case, AND Tranny fluid changes.

These are all maintenance fluids which REQUIRE changing at periodic intervals. All 3 of these fluids are prone to breadown and I'm certain that the smell of the fluid in the tranny (and others) will prove how nasty the actual fluid has become over years of use/abuse.

BTW, these were the almost the 1st things I did with my prior C5 and my new C6...my old C5 had over 170K miles on it before I sold it BTW...and absolutely no tranny issues whatsoever.
Speaking of fluid changes do you happen to know if DOT 5 is better then just the recommended DOT 4 break fluid?
Old 03-10-2014, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by pyrobionic
Speaking of fluid changes do you happen to know if DOT 5 is better then just the recommended DOT 4 break fluid?
Whatever brake fluid you use, make sure it meets Audi specs.

I would STRONGLY recommend using DOT 4.

Many folks don't recommend silicone brake fluids (labeled DOT 5). DOT 5 silicone brake fluid can cause faster wear on the brake system seals, since it collects in the brake calipers.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Whatever brake fluid you use, make sure it meets Audi specs.

I would STRONGLY recommend using DOT 4.

Many folks don't recommend silicone brake fluids (labeled DOT 5). DOT 5 silicone brake fluid can cause faster wear on the brake system seals, since it collects in the brake calipers.
Recommends DOT 4 and that's what I use I just hear DOT 5 is superior bit I don't see how or why
Old 03-10-2014, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Recommends DOT 4 and that's what I use I just hear DOT 5 is superior bit I don't see how or why
you could actually research all this on your own...it's not really that hard to do. We have a Search function in the forum.

I responded to your other thread on the brakes that you split off from this one.

BTW, you seem to ask a lot of questions, you get responses, but then not really sure if you 'take advice' well, since you have started some interesting threads in the past.

you mentioned wanting to got to a manual tranny. But are you going to have the $$ to do that in 1 year, should your tranny lock-up? The phrase penny-wise, pound foolish come to mind...
Old 03-11-2014, 09:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

you mentioned wanting to got to a manual tranny. But are you going to have the $$ to do that in 1 year, should your tranny lock-up? The phrase penny-wise, pound foolish come to mind...
I have the money now lol but one thi g a lot of people don't get is just cuz I have the money doesn't mean I have to be an idiot and blow it all. And yeah I be started a lot of detail orriented threads because I have never owned an Audi. It's just a bummer there's no one here who can actually give the Specs I want. over half my forums are dead ends because the kids on this server. But I just end up figuring it out myself or calling a mechanic for reliable Intel.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have the money now lol but one thi g a lot of people don't get is just cuz I have the money doesn't mean I have to be an idiot and blow it all. And yeah I be started a lot of detail orriented threads because I have never owned an Audi. It's just a bummer there's no one here who can actually give the Specs I want. over half my forums are dead ends because the kids on this server. But I just end up figuring it out myself or calling a mechanic for reliable Intel.
A couple of things...not sure what's so funny with the 'lol' in your post. second, I don't think anyone considers maintenance as idiotic. third, from what I've read of your posts, your questions are very broad and you seem to reply to yourself many a time...also almost all of what you ask has been asked, hence why I stated you leverage the SEARCH function on the forum. Lastly, you seem to have a demeaning tone in your msgs 'no one here can actually give specs...kids on this server', perhaps if you showed some level of respect, you might get more answers to your questions. I can imagine that there are people out there that see threads started by you and simply ignore them...perhaps trying to change how you interact with folks might help you get the answer <b>YOU </b> need.

BTW, when you actually do 'figure out myself or calling...' do you post the outcome to the forum to help others? Meaning are you simply drawing from the forum or are you a contributor?
Old 03-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

A couple of things...not sure what's so funny with the 'lol' in your post. second, I don't think anyone considers maintenance as idiotic. third, from what I've read of your posts, your questions are very broad and you seem to reply to yourself many a time...also almost all of what you ask has been asked, hence why I stated you leverage the SEARCH function on the forum. Lastly, you seem to have a demeaning tone in your msgs 'no one here can actually give specs...kids on this server', perhaps if you showed some level of respect, you might get more answers to your questions. I can imagine that there are people out there that see threads started by you and simply ignore them...perhaps trying to change how you interact with folks might help you get the answer <b>YOU </b> need.

BTW, when you actually do 'figure out myself or calling...' do you post the outcome to the forum to help others? Meaning are you simply drawing from the forum or are you a contributor?
My tone is from the people of this server being nothing but childish trolls. I join this forum for the car and all I get is immature worthless responses 90% of the time. I won't contribute to this forum for that reason. I will eventually contribute but it'll probably be under tuning threads. Where I get real answers and not snide ignorant remarks.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

My tone is from the people of this server being nothing but childish trolls. I join this forum for the car and all I get is immature worthless responses 90% of the time. I won't contribute to this forum for that reason. I will eventually contribute but it'll probably be under tuning threads. Where I get real answers and not snide ignorant remarks.
your tone is what you make it to be, don't blame others for your behavior. man up.

in one sentence you state you won't contribute, in the next you state you will...make up your mind. a forum is a collective of information; the more information it has the more valuable it is.

hold a mirror to your activity on this forum and ask yourself, would you help you...good people on this forum are going to start tuning you out when you come back with the remarks you do and I know even the tuner forums don't have time to babysit individuals that don't have the impetus to help themselves. good luck
Old 03-11-2014, 08:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

your tone is what you make it to be, don't blame others for your behavior. man up.

in one sentence you state you won't contribute, in the next you state you will...make up your mind. a forum is a collective of information; the more information it has the more valuable it is.

hold a mirror to your activity on this forum and ask yourself, would you help you...good people on this forum are going to start tuning you out when you come back with the remarks you do and I know even the tuner forums don't have time to babysit individuals that don't have the impetus to help themselves. good luck
Bold statement for someo e who is reply happy. Lol And yes a forum is only as valuable as it's members. To bad there's very few values here. I get better replies about my Audi from the porshe and VW forums. :-)

Quick Reply: fuel filter and trans fluid?