A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

fuel filter and trans fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 01:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering the fact that I have learned it's lifetime fluid and doesn't need to be replaced unless you replace the entire trans . I'm not even going to bother I'll just have freeway make sure all the mounts are good and not worry about it.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by pyrobionic
Considering the fact that I have learned it's lifetime fluid and doesn't need to be replaced unless you replace the entire trans . I'm not even going to bother I'll just have freeway make sure all the mounts are good and not worry about it.
believe what you want to...but be aware that ZF, the actually manufacturer of the tranny, RECOMMENDS changing the fluid. FYI, there are NO lifetime fluids...unless of course you are inferring the life of the tranny which WILL fail at some point without a change.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by raj99

believe what you want to...but be aware that ZF, the actually manufacturer of the tranny, RECOMMENDS changing the fluid. FYI, there are NO lifetime fluids...unless of course you are inferring the life of the tranny which WILL fail at some point without a change.
And at that point in 15 or so years when the tranny dies I'll have a new car lol. It's an 01 already 13years old by time it dies a mill have upgraded to a new Audi lol. Or I'll just pay the Audi shop here the $2k to swap it to a standard trans.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Maybe not 15 years but in a few I'll just convert it to a manual. Or buy a new Audi
Old 03-10-2014, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by pyrobionic
And at that point in 15 or so years when the tranny dies I'll have a new car lol. It's an 01 already 13years old by time it dies a mill have upgraded to a new Audi lol. Or I'll just pay the Audi shop here the $2k to swap it to a standard trans.
You do realize that tranny fluid change is considered preventative maintenance...akin to oil changes. With your logic it appears you'd be ok with dropping over $2k vs $200 or so to ensure reliability. Good luck
Old 03-10-2014, 02:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

No I have plans to convert it to a standard anyway so for the time I've got I may as well just save the $200 and work on other stuff.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I hate automatics. I like being in complete control of my car. So it's going to be converted one way or the other unless I find a new one with standard already. Wich I doubt given the economical times of this country. Lol
Old 03-10-2014, 04:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Nialist
Awesome. These are the questions we all have secretly asked ourselves, but there is logic to the madness brother. There is a few DIY threads on here that go through servicing and it's particular specific criteria that must be met when doing this task. So do a bit of searching.

Oh, and for god sake, don't "flush" the transmission. Hydraulic oil acts like a detergent and
if you have totally new fluid put in, it almost attacks the old, dirty residue and particulates that remain. This will only lead to more problems and any transmission guy with a soul wouldn't let you do this to that car. Just drain, drop pan, change filter, meticulously clean area for gasket, and re-install. But don't forget the particular things, like being perfectly

level on hack stands, the correct temp, which i don't recall (90? oil?). So like i said, read about the diy, as my statements are a rambling mess from a weary traveler right now… Sorry.

Should we do the differential too? Local dealer also quote $600. BTW, they would not recommend change fluid if the engine has over 150,000km(100,000 miles).

Last edited by rex2001; 03-10-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:46 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

This thread is unreadable. All your responses are to your original post.

Please be considerate of all and use the "quote and reply" button.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rex2001

Should we do the differential too? Local dealer also quote $600. BTW, they would not recommend change fluid if the engine has over 150,000km(100,000 miles).
According to the maintanance schedule most cars don't make it past 120k lol but for those of us who take good care of our cars we need to regular maintanance all fluids. And any damged parts related. I am going to change the fluid filter and the hoses in between because they look pretty bad. The salt on roads out here eats everything. Car wash regular lol

Quick Reply: fuel filter and trans fluid?