A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

upgrading my intake manifold on 4.2L V8

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrading my intake manifold on 4.2L V8

I am replacing the intake linkage arms Audi/VW P/N 077-198-327A (077198327A) with the metal ones, does anyone know a good way to get the old brittle plastic linkage arms off without breaking the whole system ? everything is cold and brittle, I dont want to do more damage.

here are the 1s im putting in.

Audi/VW 4.2V8 Intake Linkage Arms !
Old 12-12-2013, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You can use a screwdriver to pry them off...slow and steady and they should be OK.

Be sure to check that the shafts turn easily by hand in the bushings. The springs should immediately bring the arms back to resting position. If they don't, you have to remove the plastic arms and the bushings to hone them out with a small dremel sanding arbor. There are posts describing the whole process. Takes about 1 1/2 hrs. first time.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to add make sure the vectoring spool turns freely, this is one of causes for pivot arm failure.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiNut87
I am replacing the intake linkage arms Audi/VW P/N 077-198-327A (077198327A) with the metal ones, does anyone know a good way to get the old brittle plastic linkage arms off without breaking the whole system ? everything is cold and brittle, I dont want to do more damage.

here are the 1s im putting in.

Audi/VW 4.2V8 Intake Linkage Arms !
LOL…DFWAB. It's not really an upgrade…if the plastic ones break there's a reason.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
LOL…DFWAB. It's not really an upgrade…if the plastic ones break there's a reason.
yeah mine were a little stuck, they freed right up when I moved them back and forth by hand a few times.

the plastic ones are no where near strong enough for that heavy spring. my dealer knows all about this issue, its very common.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by AudiNut87
yeah mine were a little stuck, they freed right up when I moved them back and forth by hand a few times.

the plastic ones are no where near strong enough for that heavy spring. my dealer knows all about this issue, its very common.
Yes…the rods stick up all the time and generally the dealer just replaces the entire intake manifold, especially under warranty. However, I've not seen broken links unless the rods were frozen…they're usually sufficient for those springs. Still..the metal links look cool…even if they're hidden under the engine cover.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

My dealer actually told me to get the gruvenparts.com versions, he said the same thing they get stuck all the time and usually break so they just replace them 100%. really stupid that they replace stuff that isnt even broken yet. he said they get cracks in them that are hard to spot so they dont even bother looking closely at them its just 100% replace LOL. Im sure they make more money with that policy. They were pretty nice to tell me about the billet replacements I guess. Saved me a bunch of $.

Yes…the rods stick up all the time and generally the dealer just replaces the entire intake manifold, especially under warranty. However, I've not seen broken links unless the rods were frozen…they're usually sufficient for those springs. Still..the metal links look cool…even if they're hidden under the engine cover.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I think he's just stroking you. Those links even though they're plastic are robust enough to work for years unless the flapper/rods get stuck. That being said, when those links break and the car is under warranty, yes, they just replace the entire manifold assembly which comes with new vacuum motors, links, and vacuum tubing and that one valve….minimizes comebacks and keeps customers happy.
Same with problems after warranty…they can fix the instant problem but if a customer comes back within a year with broken links and fully frozen shafts…headaches.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

shizz they gave me the plastic links they took off. those things were very brittle, you could break it in your hand. it might of started out strong but a few years later it was very weak.

hey said you are right about replacing the whole manifold. some dealers like to make tons of cash at their owners expense. all it needs is a cleaning and some metal links and you will be all set, but you will need to keep cleaning the manifold out every year or 2.

I think he's just stroking you. Those links even though they're plastic are robust enough to work for years unless the flapper/rods get stuck. That being said, when those links break and the car is under warranty, yes, they just replace the entire manifold assembly which comes with new vacuum motors, links, and vacuum tubing and that one valve….minimizes comebacks and keeps customers happy.
Same with problems after warranty…they can fix the instant problem but if a customer comes back within a year with broken links and fully frozen shafts…headaches.