A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

fuel filter replacement issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default fuel filter replacement issue

I'm in the middle of replacing my fuel filter. the bolt on the plastic
band that holds the filter is rusted and just turns. I can't believe Audi used a steal nut hoping the plactis would stop it from spinning. anyway if I break the plastic band can I replace that band with a hose clamp to hold the filter on. does any body know?? I'm soaking it but I can see it's not going to come off and I can;t get in there on teh other side. is the plastic band part of the gas tank?? I just want to get a dremel tool and cut it off and replace it.
Attached Images  
Old 10-27-2013, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not knowing exactly where it is attached, why not pull the fuel lines out and see if you can slide the filter out OR, pull the whole thing with clamp out altogether and replace it on new filter? On 4.2 diagram, can't make out if it is attached to tank but, I'd stay away from dremel there due to fear of sparks etc. Try holding with lock pliers etc. and pull it apart. Sorry, but can't help more.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by old96A4
I'm in the middle of replacing my fuel filter. the bolt on the plastic
band that holds the filter is rusted and just turns. I can't believe Audi used a steal nut hoping the plactis would stop it from spinning. anyway if I break the plastic band can I replace that band with a hose clamp to hold the filter on. does any body know?? I'm soaking it but I can see it's not going to come off and I can;t get in there on teh other side. is the plastic band part of the gas tank?? I just want to get a dremel tool and cut it off and replace it.
Hold the bolt head and slice it off. Replace the bolt and nut as needed. Use a continuous flow of water over the bolt when using a Dremel or cutoff wheel...sparks are deadly here.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just cut a line across it real quick with a dremel and pulled it apart. the plastic clamp is attached to the tank. I was able to pull it apart and and put a new filter on. Then I just put it back together and put a hose clamp across it to pitch the plastic clamp. holding pretty good.
One thing I can tell you be careful how you put the new filter in. I've been raading other posts and every one says make sure the arrow points to the front of the car. in my car that's not true. The hose that goes to the front of the car loops back and connects to the rear of the filter. so you have to have the arrow pointing toward the back. The front comes from the tank. Also the bolts are different sizes. The filter came with copper o rings, 3 out of the 4 fit. I had to use one of the old rings. I didn't have anything else to use. it's not leaking so I hope I'm ok. I'm crossing my fingers...
Old 10-28-2013, 05:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The filter can only go on one way as the banjo bolts are different sizes.....but yes the arrow goes towards the back of the car