A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

First height adjustment with the H&R Coilovers (and a funny pic I made) LONG

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, so it's normal then. This is my first foray into coilovers . Thx LORD!
Old 03-05-2004, 08:09 AM

Default I had my alignment done and it was wayyy off after the inst, now I'm running -1.6 left/-1.9 camber!

Personally for a non-track car I think this is a bit excessive and would rather dial some of it out. Say back to -1.0 or so left/right. What are you running?
Old 03-05-2004, 08:10 AM

Drove myself crazy trying to dail witnin 1/8 th inch. Nearly unattainable.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:20 AM

Default You've just contradicted yourself

regarding both settling and alignment. See the link below.

https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/323372.phtml<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/323372.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/323372.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 03-05-2004, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Only took us 3 hours
Old 03-05-2004, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I realize this...

...and when I asked my mechanic, he said, generally coil overs do not settle, but you have a 2 ton car. His statement is generally directed on lighter automobiles. 4.2 weighs in at 4025lbs. When asked about the alignment, it was an error in the original post, should have read 3 quarters to an inch, but only if the car is showing characteristics of needing an alignment (pulling, uneven tire wear, sudden road noice, etc.).

I was expecting someone to ask that, forgot to revise and include it in my initial post.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:48 AM

Default LOL. My garage is not heated, after that experience I think I have some indication of what

arthritis will feel like.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:12 AM
Former Vendor

Default H&R's take on shock material..

Taken from an interview off VWVortex.

<i>We asked H&amp;R to give us their take on the material they choose to use for their coil-over shock bodies. While some manufacturers are using stainless steel as their material of choice, H&amp;R prefers to continue to offer the quality of steel they've been using for years. They told us that stainless steel is somewhat less rigid than other types, and as such, in order to maintain the integrity necessary for this heavy-load bearing component, it is necessary to make a thicker and heavier shock body to compensate. In addition to added weight, a thicker strut body will not dissipate heat as effectively as a thinner structure, and therefore, H&amp;R chooses not to use stainless steel for these applications. They suggest that with proper maintenance and care, their coil-overs will last as long as any on the market, even in areas where road salt is used in the winter.
</i>

<a href="http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/vortex_news/article_671.shtml">Full Story</a>
Old 03-05-2004, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Sounds reasonable. Thank you for the link.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I suspect it has more to do with cost than anything else.

As a mechanical engineer I would have to dissagree with the notion that they couldn't find a stainless steel as ridged as non-stainless steel. There are stainless steels with extremely high modulus of elasticity (stiffness), just as much so as non-stainless. In fact many very high modulus steels end up being "stainless" due to the alloying needed to make them stiff.

There are issues with machining some stainless steels that make them more expensive to work with in additon to the higher material cost.

As far as thermal conductivity being a problem from having to use thicker steel I would make this analysis. The thermal resistance to the air is going to be so much higher than the resistance of the shock tube that it would be insignificant. If they hade substantial heat sinking on the shock body, perhaps in the form of many many deep aluminum fins, then the conductivity of the shock tube might begin to enter into the picture.

Quick Reply: First height adjustment with the H&R Coilovers (and a funny pic I made) LONG