A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Fathers Bday is coming up and he really wants a GPS system for the car. What is the best one in

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fathers Bday is coming up and he really wants a GPS system for the car. What is the best one in

your opinion for the A6. Its a 2003 3.0.
Price is a consideration but its the second factor.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default RNS-E hands down, but if you want some other options...

I prefer the magellan roadmate series (currently have a 760), but that's because I often like to take side trips and long trips..the garmin units have a good rep but you have to load all your maps prior to taking a trip. the thing I like about my magellan is that it doesn't matter if I'm driving north 2 hours, south 14 hours, floying across the country, or vacationing in europe; it has all the maps I need, no loading and unloading of maps needed. but, on the other hand if he doesn't mind loading maps, I do like the garmin units, especially their viewpoints they offer.

personally, I bought the magellan because I was on a time constraint, and couldn't get the RNS-E in and installed in time, if I had the time I would have bought the RNS-E in a heartbeat.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default RNS-E is that the one the comes with the car? How much for that modification if i dont have it.

It is cd based correct? so the maps i have to download. I am looking for a none download GPS. So i am a little confused. Which one is the none download?

thanks so much
Old 11-07-2006, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Eclipse AVN 5435 or AVN5500 is much better than factory RNS-E

Please don't buy the factory stock GPS system. It has a smaller display, ugly maps, and limited features. The Eclipse unit in my A6 has better sound and it can play a DVD on a 6.5" widescreen. Also, the Eclipse units have dual DVD drives. I can post a picture of my install. It looks very professional because Magnolia Hi-Fi did the install.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A full RNSE install (it replaces the current radio) will probably run you around

$1500 or so. IIRC it is DVD based. Check out TeddyBGame's sig links for info. I have seen the unit in action (in BD's car) and it is very, very sweet...it is the best option if cost isn't a concern.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'd love to see pics of your install. Post them, please!
Old 11-07-2006, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

i saw it on ebay for $800. Can i instal it myself or is this an audi only job?
Old 11-07-2006, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

PLEASE as well. How much for the unit? THANKS
Old 11-07-2006, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default It is a DIY. There are a lot of good articles and write ups in the forum. It shouldnt be a problem.

You need a Vag tho.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:44 PM
GPZ
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Personally, I wouldn't go with the RNS-E. I'd go with ....

A portable model. I have a Garmin V that I've owned for years. It has definate limitations, but it works flawlessly, can either be vehicle mounted with turn-by-turn directions or used as a handheld and is waterproof. I use mine in all of my vehicles and on my motorcycle and hunting / fishing / hiking. All of its good points more than make up for its really limited memory and very slow interface. It is still a sight better than my previous system, which was using my laptop with a GPS reciever (Actually, I still sometimes do this with my laptop and my Garmin when I want to find specific businesses or other stuff when I'm traveling.

If I was going to buy one today, I would get the Garmin Quest 2, which has the entire North American City Select mapset pre-loaded and a USB interface (as opposed to my excrutiatingly sloooooow serial interface for my V).

I've tried the Magellan stuff, and its good too, but I like Garmin better, probably because it is what I'm used to now. Also, the Garmin units are more compact. My first priority was to have a handheld gps that could be used in the car, as opposed to a car gps that could be used handheld, and in that regard I think that the Garmin edges out the Magellan, Tom Tom, and Lowrance units<ul><li><a href="http://www.garmin.com/products/quest2/">Garmin Quest 2</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: Fathers Bday is coming up and he really wants a GPS system for the car. What is the best one in