A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Exhaust rattles. Suspect cats. Straight pipe??

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redneck Truck
I read an article once that asserted that a teaspoon of raw gasoline spilled on the ground did more to harm our environment than a typical, modern engine did while idling for X hours. I don't remember the number, but it was definitely a positive integer.

I have a feeling that if you're so hell-bent on your quest to save the environment that you're willing to make enemies out of friends in the process, then you are barking up the wrong tree.

If driving a ridiculously efficient V8 engine without cats is enough of an offense to give rise to your above response, you must be sending mail bombs to all the 2.7T guys driving their cars with misfire codes or running VTA EVAP and CCV systems.
I'm not hell bent on a quest. I'm just saying to have some respect for the place we all live. It's a simple concept. I sure didn't intend to **** off all the forum members I evidently did and was not trying to make any enemies. Apologies all around.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your quest is a righteous one, but remember that all of these laws are based on the findings and rulings of the EPA, a massively inefficient, self-perpetuating, corporate owned red tape monster. I'm not for anyone gratuitously destroying the environment. In fact, I've been known to report local businesses who carelessly water the street and fail to repair sprinkler geysers. But be careful to enforce the spirit, not the letter.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
I'm not taking it personally, just trying to point out that if the car is not worth the repair then it should not be hung into someone else. Part it out or trade it in so that it can be dealt with properly. You know a dealer can't sell one with the cats burned out or at least they shouldn't. It took years to get rid of "the brown LA haze" and I don't want it back. Nothing personal directed to anyone on this forum. Some of you are not old enough (here he goes, the old fart) to remember how bad air pollution really was. I'm just saying.......

Gotcha! I agree - if you sell, be upfront about the issue.

Passing the buck to someone else is a no-no in my books. Be honest and upfront, even if it costs you (usually financially), at least you'll be true to your principles (which seems to be in the decline, just try shopping for a used car, see how much the seller will disclose).
Old 03-25-2013, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Redneck Truck
If driving a ridiculously efficient V8 engine
Hmmm... is that Audi that you're talking about?

The pushrod 350 cu in engine in my 1996 Camaro Z28 was fairly efficient (especially for its time), where I could get 28 mpg on the highway... But I just don't see any Audi engines as being efficient. It's a great overall package, but unremarkable in any specific category (not fuel efficiency, not performance, not simplicity/complexity).

I still love Audis and I'm not bashing the technology, just your expression caught me by surprise.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

I posted a simple question and I guess I got some helpful feedback. Overall this thread did get messy. Strange how people can be so assuming. Thanks to everyone that answered in a cincere manner.

Tim
Old 03-25-2013, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just like a box of chocolates, aye Tim
Old 03-25-2013, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Your points are valid. And the cat doesn't do diddly for carbon emission anyway.

These cars, without cats, are vastly cleaner than 1 1960s era car, truck, etc.

But i still think we should all do our best, within reason, to do our share. Millions of small gains add up.

here's the "within reason" part.

My big point is that a rattle does not necessarily mean imminent death of a cat, so why gut it or remove it? Juts let it rattle away until it starts either clogging, throwing codes, or, as mine did, blows the rattling crud out the tailpipe and all is well again.

If someone has a truly dead cat. And is really broke. And really needs to get the car on the road for 12-18 months - well, ok. But few of us are in that position, and if we are, we probably own the wrong car.

Grant