A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Eng oil & coolant temp 25-50 degrees too high!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eng oil & coolant temp 25-50 degrees too high!

Hello, I'm a new member and old Audi owner! I have a 2000 A6 4.2L quattro. Just last week the engine oil and coolant temp gauges started to read anywhere from 25-50 degrees hotter than normal. This in turn has caused my ac to blow hot air. I should also mention that at 45mph up to highway speeds both run exactly where they are supposed to and the ac blows cold. I was told the condenser sits behind the radiator and causes the ac to blow hot when the other temps are high, so I am trying to find out if anyone has any ideas of what could be causing the sudden change in engine oil and coolant temp. Again, it doesn't overheat, at least not yet , just wondering if this is another common issue and if I should be looking for a sensor, thermostat, fan, or fuse issue? Thanks for any insight you can offer!!!
Old 06-14-2013, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 68 Likes on 67 Posts

just a guess but i would say if BOTH your coolant and oil are runing warm they really are and it is a mechanical/ electrical issue and not a sensor . I would just make sure your fans are working right off the bat ..
Old 06-14-2013, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 381 Likes on 343 Posts

Joe, welcome aboard! First thing I'd do is verify all cooling fans are working.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got enough coolant? If so, something is blocking its flow. Maybe the thermostat (not uncommon). Or maybe something else (though unlikely there'd be blockage in plumbing).
Old 06-14-2013, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
Got enough coolant? If so, something is blocking its flow. Maybe the thermostat (not uncommon). Or maybe something else (though unlikely there'd be blockage in plumbing).
i thought of that too but he says at highway speeds it is normal means he might be getting enough cooling from airflow without fans .. and besides .. in for a stat .. petty well in for everything no ?
Old 06-14-2013, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Airbag
i thought of that too but he says at highway speeds it is normal means he might be getting enough cooling from airflow without fans .. and besides .. in for a stat .. petty well in for everything no ?
When my fans weren't working on the 4.2 A6, the only time the temperature would climb up was in stop and go traffic. As long as the car was moving, it was fine.

Not sure I got your comment about "in for a stat" ... :|
Old 06-14-2013, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
When my fans weren't working on the 4.2 A6, the only time the temperature would climb up was in stop and go traffic. As long as the car was moving, it was fine.

Not sure I got your comment about "in for a stat" ... :|
if im replacing the stat .. im replacing the water pump .. and the timing belt , and the rollers ....

so figured checking the fans may be a good start
Old 06-14-2013, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

check oil... does it look clumpy/milky?
Old 06-17-2013, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
check oil... does it look clumpy/milky?
Thanks for all the input! Just had an oil change, and didnt see the old, but the place put the wrong oil weight in first and had to drain and refill, so it got an unplanned flush also! I'll try checking the fans first i guess and go from there, just hate the idea of tracing electrical in this beast. Btw, my motion sensor and trunk release buttons on the b-pillar have switched, i now have to press the motion sensor to pop the trunk, and the bose system keeps blowing fuses, any ideas on that! Like i said, not looking forward to electrical diagnostics on this beast!!! Thanks again!
Old 06-17-2013, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It's not that much different from any electrical diagnostic on any other modern car, in fact, probably better

First, switch the buttons ?

You will do well do acquire VAG-COM / VCDS from Ross-Tech if you at all want to get anywhere in diagnosing anything with this car. Without it, you're at the mercy of (in)competent mechanics.

And where did you take it for an oil change? Find a good independent mechanic that works on Audis.

Quick Reply: Eng oil & coolant temp 25-50 degrees too high!