A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Don't Laugh I Could be in BIG Trouble!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 11:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O.K. I get it indy is independent shop. I'm guessing Vagwerks is considered an independent shop since it's not run by the dealer. I'll report back with what the Audi dealer said. Again, I was told the Audi dealer is the only one that can fix the ignition because they have the tools for it and the key (or ignition) has to be programmed. Car was towed there Saturday. I hope to have an answer by tomorrow evening.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I wish you luck! Your story seems to be as terrible as mine. My purchase of my 04 A6 S-Line has been all but smooth. The first day I got the car, it had issues. Everything from the hood latch security going off to the infamous EGT Sensors going bad. You name it! All in all, my $6000 investment turned into a $10000 money pit. After two years, and a LOT of money/ visits to the parts store/ tool store, my car seems to be (almost) in order. Aside from a torn cv boot and needing front brakes. (Knocks on wood). I wish you luck in the repairs, but do heed the word of those on this forum. There are perks and there are cons to driving this bigger, more luxurious S4. "If you buy luxury, you're gonna pay luxury."
Old 10-20-2015, 04:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Heard from the audi dealer yesterday and between the ignition/steering column issue pulling the radio out to get the code so we can use it we're up to $1,800 and then tack on another $400.00 I'm expecting to pay at Vagwerks (an indy) who will be doing the valve cover gaskets to stop the oil leaks. So it looks like I'm going to be at $2,200.00 to have the car in nice condition with no car payments. By the way I've tried everything to get the radio out including taking it to Best Buys Car Audio Tech's. Also ordered the tools on Amazon to take the radio out and I believe the top two clips are so screwed up that the tools won't push or grab the clips the right way. I can really tell my wife and I got sucked in by that A6 2.7T... the dealer offered us the following to replace the Audi... and we test drove them - 2004 BMW 330ci, 2001 MB S500, 2004 Mini Cooper S, 2003 Audi TT we don't like any of them nearly as much as the 2.7T. So I'd rather have this one fixed and not have any car payments. I know there will be issues to deal with later but we've excepted that and will start putting some money away. I just think the car is that nice and that pleasant to drive that it's worth it...
Old 10-20-2015, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Once you get it sorted out, C5 A6 cars are really nice for the cost.
Probably nicer than the W210 E-Class MBs they were competing with.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't pretend to be a tech but $1800 to resolve the ignition/steering issue sounds wicked. Have you indeed verified that an Audi dealer is your only option? I know you said Vagwerks cannot do it, but are there any other indy shops who might do this?
I assume you have checked to see if there are options on the radio code. Dealers rape owners of old cars......... Pulling the radio, getting the serial number and checking for the code is simple for the dealer. Probably less than 20 minutes. Have you looked on ebay or where ever for an identical radio with a code? They are pretty cheap. Also, someone on here posted something in the last 6 months or so that there were only a few possible codes for these radios. You might search and see if you can't try the codes. Then there is no reason to even pull the radio.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may be too late, but can hopefully help someone when searching...

Buyers guides for the S4 (most applies to A6 2.7T)
http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Audi/B5...Newbie_FAQ.pdf
http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Audi/B5...uyersguide.pdf
http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Audi/C5...uying_Tips.pdf

Cheers
Massboykie
Old 10-22-2015, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by BriGuy01-2.7T
Heard from the audi dealer yesterday and between the ignition/steering column issue pulling the radio out to get the code so we can use it we're up to $1,800 and then tack on another $400.00 I'm expecting to pay at Vagwerks (an indy) who will be doing the valve cover gaskets to stop the oil leaks. So it looks like I'm going to be at $2,200.00 to have the car in nice condition with no car payments. By the way I've tried everything to get the radio out including taking it to Best Buys Car Audio Tech's. Also ordered the tools on Amazon to take the radio out and I believe the top two clips are so screwed up that the tools won't push or grab the clips the right way. I can really tell my wife and I got sucked in by that A6 2.7T... the dealer offered us the following to replace the Audi... and we test drove them - 2004 BMW 330ci, 2001 MB S500, 2004 Mini Cooper S, 2003 Audi TT we don't like any of them nearly as much as the 2.7T. So I'd rather have this one fixed and not have any car payments. I know there will be issues to deal with later but we've excepted that and will start putting some money away. I just think the car is that nice and that pleasant to drive that it's worth it...
Be aware. This cost ill not aleaeve you of future cost. These things can be expensive to run and maintain unless you are prepaired to do the work yourself. That money will only get you running well for now.

I have not read the whole thread so i am going to ask, did you check the trunk options sticker for the radio code ? Mechanics trick is to write it on there for future reference, worth a look.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by clancy
I would still JUST go to the indy. Assuming they are Audi people. They can do it all or at least be able to tell you what they cannot do. I doubt you need to go to the Audi dealer at all. Plus, all you need is 2 repair shops involved; one says the other's work was the problem. There are shops who specialize in C5 Audi in nearly every city. It will pay you to find one.
I have 400,00km and I totally agree with the above.

My car has never once seen the dealer since leaving warranty .. And if you think the delaers are the experts , stick around this forum , you will quickly find out dealers are merely parts swappers, very limited knowledge, especially on models over 10 years old.