A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Does this look like Prop Shaft Seal Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does this look like Prop Shaft Seal Leak

It may be hard to see the leaking fluid but its before the prop shaft on the transmission side. You can see the fluid built up on the bolts that connect the flange to the transmission housing.
Attached Images     
Old 10-20-2009, 02:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Yes, looks like mine.

Your leak looks like mine. The dealer said the seal needs replacing. 400 bucks. I did my wife's 4 motion wagon earlier in the summer and it is a pain, but not a big pain. It took 1-2 hours and I did not remove the entire shaft. I pried the old seal out and tapped the new one in. It appears to be working. Do remove the mufflers.
I will be getting to mine later this year.
Your seal may not need to be replaced just check your oil level and top up. I replaced my wife's because it leaked a lot and you could smell the oil on the exhaust pipe.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, it is barely even damp....never any puddles. I forgot to mention that the vehicle was an 02 A6 2.7T. I checked the diff fluid level and fluid came out of the check plug so, its barely lost any fluid at all. Im just going to change the fluid and call it a day for now. Thanks for the reply and insight.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It definitely looks like the prop seal. I did it on my '03 A6 3.0 and it was a pain but not too bad as some have mentioned. Saved lots of $$ though. I put the car on ramps, and raised the rear and put it on jackstands. That gives you room to move around with a creeper (recommended). Then I removed the exhaust clamps and separated the pipes. Really not as bad as it sounds. Then I dropped the drive shaft (new bolts on the install), removed some of the heat shields that were directly in my way, and from there it was very straightforward. If I did it again I would either rent a lift or have someone in the garage handing me tools as I needed them. The biggest pain was constantly getting up for more tools, especially as I looked for the best contraption for seating the seal.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

I did mine a couple of months ago. Independent euro garage wanted $400.00 to do it. I did it myself for about $30.00. The only problem I had was seperating the driveshaft from the output flange. Took a big chisel and a hammer to seperate it. Use lock tite and new bolts when you put it back together. Also be careful with the seal between the flange and the driveshaft its easlily damaged. It's been about 3 months and no more gear oil on my driveway.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by bighands
It definitely looks like the prop seal. I did it on my '03 A6 3.0 and it was a pain but not too bad as some have mentioned. Saved lots of $$ though. I put the car on ramps, and raised the rear and put it on jackstands. That gives you room to move around with a creeper (recommended). Then I removed the exhaust clamps and separated the pipes. Really not as bad as it sounds. Then I dropped the drive shaft (new bolts on the install), removed some of the heat shields that were directly in my way, and from there it was very straightforward. If I did it again I would either rent a lift or have someone in the garage handing me tools as I needed them. The biggest pain was constantly getting up for more tools, especially as I looked for the best contraption for seating the seal.

hello bighands did you find it hard to remove the rear shaft out the gearbox i tryed to do my car at weekend and found the drive flange would not come out the gearbox i had to put the car back togther again and live with the smell on the exhausts i have a 2002 a6 avent tdi sport the 180 bhp version
Old 07-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bigkarl, there is a hex bolt in the center of the driveshaft flange. Remove it and the flange comes right out giving you access to the seal.