A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Dealer won't fix warped rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My brilliant theory

I think the C5 started out with the braking system from the then-current A4, which was adequate only for the smaller, lighter car. I'm sure that also hastens rotor warping and pad replacement.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Absolutely. It does seem unfair. If they have to change the policy, then do so

on new cars being sold now, not somebody who bought the car under more extensive warranty coverage.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The problem isn't really warped rotors (not truly warped); it's the vibration you feel during

braking. Unfortunately for Audi, the pads they use seem to get some nasty material transfer when people use the brakes like Ichiro does, heavy braking on a freeway off-ramp with cold rotors and pads. Dealers need to do a better job of educating American drivers about this sensation. This is strange for me to be defending Audi, but IMO far too many rotors have been replaced for no real reason other than this vibration. Hard use of the brakes has eliminated this vibration from every one of my vehicles (not all are German). The problem is most people start to use the brakes more gingerly when they feel this vibration instead of standing on them and heating them up and burnishing off the buildup.

I know it feels like AoA changed the policy after the fact and that makes me mad, but if my rotors were changed every time I had this problem, I would have gone through 10 sets by now. Instead I have rebedded my pads several times and "cured" it on my own. If Audi put GM luxobarge type pads on their cars, you would get nice smooth braking but it would take you a lot more distance to stop. Brake abnormalities scare most people and only a few know the difference between a noise or vibration that means real trouble and ones that are just a nuisance but do not affect braking performance.

Oh, well....Audi is a victim of equipping their cars with fade-resistant pads that are actually superior to nearly all American and many Japanese cars, but end up costing themselves a lot of money because of it. At least they were trying to do the right thing, the market is just punishing them unjustly, again IMO.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:44 AM

Default You made some massive assumpsions.

As stated earlier, I don't do heavy braking off ramp, rather down shifting using tip. Funny how I explicitly said that in another post, yet someone who knows nothing about me, accuse otherwise.

I have taken all the shop classes in high school, restored muscle cars in my youth. I know warped rotors.

Funny thing too... the tech at Carlsen said the rotors are warped. I believe he knows a thing or two better than you, and he actually got to see them.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:09 PM

Default A highly respected Audi Master Tech told me rotors along with the infamous rear main seal...

are some of the most misdiagnosed problems. He went on to say that front suspension "design" issues are the reason/source for many Audi brake/suspension problems. With the lower control arm recall,it looks like things are starting to come home to roost. PS: downshifting using the $10k TIP to save on brakes seems questionable at best.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:45 PM

Default I'm impressed that you are respecting your MASTER TECH...

... especially you know opinions are like *******, everybody has one.

Especially a HIGHLY RESPECTED MASTER TECH. Must have a HIGHLY RESPECTED *******.

To take the context of someone saying one thing, and intepreting it into something else, like how do you know I use the TIP to save my brakes, and not for other things... I have no doubt you are really wise in respecting so deeply your MASTER TECH.

Sheesh!!! Started talking about something Audi and somehow it got turned into an attack. I hope you feel really good with your self perceived superiority.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:59 AM

Default It's still rotten of them to refuse to replace

It's one thing if you bring the car in with a set of track pads and R compound tires on it.

It's quite another if you warp them (or get pad deposits on them causing a similar vibration) in the course street driving. Until the manufacturers start putting real brake break in requirements/procedures in the owners manual, they should be on the hook to fix any brake vibration within the warranty period no matter how many times it happens.

Yes, I know (or think I know from reading enough about it on the net) that what we call warped rotors can also be caused by brake pad deposits, and bedding new pads and rotors in one of several different methods, and stopping in such a way that you don't hold a brake pad against a hot, stationary rotor any longer than absolutely necessary can sometimes prevent this.

But NONE of this info is in the owners manual, or in the warranty booklet. All they tell you is to brake gently for the first XXX miles when the car is new and when you get new pads. You can do this, and still get warped rotors/pad deposits. If you follow the factory instructions, and you get vibration in the brake pedal, by the terms of the warranty contract they should fix it for the full warranty period, no matter how many times it happens.