A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Is dealer trying to rip me off??

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is dealer trying to rip me off??

I have a 2001 A6 2.7 manual. Cert Pre-own. Took it to the dealer because the car was high in the front (definitely not low in back). Dealer confirms that it is high in front and says they will need a day to look at it to root cause. Gave me a A4 2.0T loaner (slightly disappointed with the performance by the way... handled OK though). Called me back after they looked at it and said that they needed to replace the coil springs in the front. I told him that it should be covered under warranty because 5.5 years is definitely not 1 full life cycle for springs. He agreed that they'd experience pre-mature wear and said they would cover them. So far so good. After I got off the phone with him, I started to ask myself how could worn springs in the front make my car ride higher in the front? Wouldn't worn spring make my car ride lower (springs would maybe begin to collapse over time)? Am I missing something? Can anyone explain this?

Then he called back 3 days later after the springs came in and said that they would replace the front struts at no labor charge (just charge me for parts $291 total). At first I thought this is a great deal and was going to bite. But then I wondered if they figured out that it really wasn't the springs at all it was the struts and they were trying to recover some of their costs for unnecessarily ordering the springs.

I explained to him all of the above. He tried to give me a line about how worn spring really could lift my car up and shortly there after he admitted that it didn't really make sense to him either. He said he would talk to his tech in the morning and get back with me. Does this sound fishy?
Old 11-14-2006, 08:31 PM

Almost invariably!
Old 11-15-2006, 02:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yup...sounds fishy to me...
Old 11-15-2006, 02:19 AM
Ace Ventura

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guy sounds like Goober Pyle from the Andy Griffith show..try another dealer maybe?
Old 11-15-2006, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sure seems like it. That explanation makes zero sense.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Typical, they're throwing parts at the problem instead of confirming.

Oh, and no way worn springs will result in higher ride heights. The shocks binding up MIGHT, but even that is a stretch.
Might want to get a second opinion before you spend a dime OR have any warranty work done.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default trying...perhaps..but going to..no.. because you questioned it before the fact.

Imagine the people who don't question it. They just pucker and smile and pay.

Just keep your facts and names and get ready for a phone call to AoA if it does not go your way.

FYI, worn springs can result in a higher stance as easilly as a lower stance. Metal fatigue can cause expansion or contraction.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:12 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Gotta love it when things wear out and get stronger. <rolls eyes>
Old 11-15-2006, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default and maybe even ripping AoA off. Did this dealer do the cert.? It seems they sometimes

certify the cars and ignore problems. That way when you bring it in for repair, Audi pays for it rather than them prior to sell. It sounds like you caught them trying to BS you. Use this to your advantage by making them cover everything. Then find a reputable dealer.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Who gives a rats ... about AOA

As I have found with my radio code incident, they have gone out of their way to make it difficult for Audi owners to obtain information prudent to their vehicle

Quick Reply: Is dealer trying to rip me off??