A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Daughter's '03 A6 3.0L accelerator too sensitive, any adjustment?

Old 03-22-2014, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daughter's '03 A6 3.0L accelerator too sensitive, any adjustment?

2003 Audi A6 3.0L Quattro 5 speed Auto. Trans.
My daughter, a high school senior, is still working on her drivers license & high anxiety about driving ("It's torture!").
The A6 was given to her as an early Graduation present by her Grandmother. She is really nervous in stop and go driving because even a small initial push on the accelerator causes a too-quick start from a stop. It even took me a while to get used to it the first couple of times I drove it. I have searched a service manual but can't find any adjustment option. Does anyone have any suggestions?
By the way, the Quattro is great! It drove through 9" of fresh snow in my driveway with no wheelspin, sliding, or drama at all with only all-season tires. But a lot of you probably knew that, right?
Old 03-22-2014, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loosen four of your spark plug coils to create misfires in the cylinder and trick the Computer into going into limp mode.

Confession: Tongue-in-cheek answer.

Real answer -- adjust the person, not the vehicle. It's much easier to spend a week learning acceleration pedal pressure and much less expensive to do. The A6 3.0 doesn't have blow your doors off speed. C'mon. Give it a week.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pegasus51
2003 Audi A6 3.0L Quattro 5 speed Auto. Trans.
My daughter, a high school senior, is still working on her drivers license & high anxiety about driving ("It's torture!").
The A6 was given to her as an early Graduation present by her Grandmother. She is really nervous in stop and go driving because even a small initial push on the accelerator causes a too-quick start from a stop. It even took me a while to get used to it the first couple of times I drove it. I have searched a service manual but can't find any adjustment option. Does anyone have any suggestions?
By the way, the Quattro is great! It drove through 9" of fresh snow in my driveway with no wheelspin, sliding, or drama at all with only all-season tires. But a lot of you probably knew that, right?
There is no such adjustment on this car the system is drive by wire not cable from the gas pedal, when I bought my 04 3.0 I noticed the same thing vs the old 01 2.8 so my wife and I just got used to it.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

It could be that the car needs a throttle body adaptation. It should not be extremely sensitive to accelerator pedal tip in.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/throttlebody.html
Old 03-22-2014, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by georgeb944
It could be that the car needs a throttle body adaptation. It should not be extremely sensitive to accelerator pedal tip in.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/throttlebody.html
A TBA might not be necessary because usually it is performed when these conditions are relevant, if the throttle valve control module -J338- or the engine control module are removed, installed
or replaced or if the voltage supply from the engine control module is interrupted, then adaptation must always be performed.

"Here is right out of the book" not my words forward.

The learning process (adaptation process) is performed:

Automatically if the ignition is switched on once for at least 10 seconds without activating the starter or the accelerator pedal and the engine control module recognizes "adaptation requirement". In this case, it is not obvious whether the adaptation process was successful or not. Adaptation requirement is recognized if stored voltage values from the angle sensors do not coincide with current measured voltage values in a certain tolerance band.

With Vagom:

By initiating the basic setting (Function 04) of display group 060 with ignition switched on then follow procedure.

My words; In conclusion I have done this with vagcom and have had no changed results.

Last edited by jcman; 03-22-2014 at 04:35 PM.