A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

CRAP! Camshaft moved?! Possible to figure out TDC again?!

Old 01-15-2014, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tester123
If you are up to here it doesn't make sense not to do the Cam seals, End caps and chain tensioner gaskets + Valley (half-moon) seals. Yeah a little more work but, you'll be glad you did them unless they are done recently or you look forward eagerly towards the next tear down. Just my opinion...

Be warned that removing tensioner requires removing cam bearing caps and there is a good chance the chain links may skip. It's not a big deal, you can always count the links and put it back. The notches on CAMS have to match the Arrow markings on bearing caps. There are good write-ups about this. Some have done it without pulling the cams out. I tried but it was more hassle than worth so, I pulled them off. Plus, I wanted to clean everything thoroughly before the new gaskets and seals go in... it's up to you. Just know that the Cam timing has to be perfect if you go this route.

FYI, each head is independent of its own timing - what I mean by that is the exhaust and intake cams have to be aligned so, you work on one head at a time. Make sure that is aligned properly and work on next. Finally, the belt ties the timing of heads and crankshaft together. Makes sense?

Ya, I got that full kit and more Blauparts instructions... Which don't seem as good as their timing belt instructions and have less pictures... I wish ECS had instructions & someone had a copy. They seem to have AMAZING timing belt instructions with GREAT pictures... I probably should have used them and tossed Blau's but I didn't want to mix anything up...

I take pictures of everything as I remove the head and count the chain links and such. Hopefully I'll be able to get it back together by reading your previous posts but if you guys could keep an eye out for another panicked post by me that would give me some peace of mind while doing this. Lol
Old 01-15-2014, 10:49 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Have you looked in the tech section of this website? There is a ton of information there on both timing belts and seals.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Have you looked in the tech section of this website? There is a ton of information there on both timing belts and seals.
I have yes, but a couple a ran across suggested that you didn't need to use lock bars and stuff so I decided to stick with the (not so in depth) guide that blauparts shipped since I got their full tool rental too. The tech guides here totally have helped me ID the location of the parts and stuff though and I'll probably read up on a couple about replacing all the seals and gasket before I go try some more work on the car today...

ECS just has a picture for like every step with wonderful arrows pointing to all the numbered parts and stuff. Wish I could find one like that for this part of the job :P
Old 01-15-2014, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by acarney
ECS just has a picture for like every step with wonderful arrows pointing to all the numbered parts and stuff. Wish I could find one like that for this part of the job :P
Oh will you just quit it and get the show on the road (literally )... Forget those pictures. Just reach into that "common-sense" box and keep going. You got the manual(?), blauparts instructions AND, the invaluable help from all of us here! Really, if you still having trouble, buy me a flight ticket and couple lap dances at your local strip joint(decent one plz), I'll just come, and do it!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Oh will you just quit it and get the show on the road (literally )... Forget those pictures. Just reach into that "common-sense" box and keep going. You got the manual(?), blauparts instructions AND, the invaluable help from all of us here! Really, if you still having trouble, buy me a flight ticket and couple lap dances at your local strip joint(decent one plz), I'll just come, and do it!
Ha! That would be awesome. I've got to replace the breather hose now. Realized that it was broken clean in half where it connected to the top of the passenger side valve cover (and I had a HUGE amount of oil around the center spark plug, almost completely covered the plug when I pulled the coilpack off). So I need to try to order that as soon as I can tomorrow morning and hopefully get it overnighted...

You seriously have been a huge help! (And 4driver) Where you located anyway? At the start of this job I probably would have got you out here to walk me through but now I feel so deep in it that I SHOULD be able to finish it... Maybe with just a couple more posts here. Lol

I'll have replaced timing bet, ribbed belt, water pump, thermostat, crank seal & the front sprocket thingy. All valve seals and gasket. (Oh, and all tensioners and rollers)

Still to do:
Breather hose & suction pump (do the 2.7t's even have one?) Need to get part numbers and overnighted if I can so I can work over the weekend.

Might as well order the O ring for the bottom of the oil dipstick too since I forgot that... Does that have a part number? Lol
Old 01-15-2014, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

OH MY GOSH! I forgot to mention that the sprockets coming off SCARED the hell out of me! The noise and a bunch of dust or something shook off, totally thought something broke in half... And I was EXPECTING if to be loud! Ha!
Old 01-16-2014, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

i have done this about 4 times and every time i do it i just leave the bar on while popping the sprockets. It does sound like a friggen gun going off when they pop though .
Old 01-16-2014, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

OH MY GOSH! I forgot to mention that the sprockets coming off SCARED the hell out of me! The noise and a bunch of dust or something shook off, totally thought something broke in half... And I was EXPECTING if to be loud! Ha!
Really dude, you should be working an A6 - the kind LEGO makes... They got pretty pictures, templates to measure the parts... ok, ok, I forgot to say this in last post and I had to get it out.

Yeah similar feeling with sprocket popping off. When that happened first time, my biggest worry was if I broke a spoke of the sprocket. By the way, MAKE SURE YOU DON'T NICK THE SPROCKETS. If you drop it, the notches will bend easily. My nephew (5 year old...) thought it was a cool wheel, picks it up and dropped it. ARGH!!!... well, I had to file out the nick and buff it smooth. Maybe, I am over cautious but, the belt life could be affected if there is a nick. Just treat them with care that's all.

Anyway, do you have anyone helping you? I had no help for the entire thing except my bro came to help when loading in the cams with chain and tensioner together. For that time, with link count etc. it is helpful to have a helping hand. Of course, it could be done without any help as I did one side.

I am in NY/NJ region (not giving exact location: fear of Google finding me ). And you?
Old 01-16-2014, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Really dude, you should be working an A6 - the kind LEGO makes... They got pretty pictures, templates to measure the parts... ok, ok, I forgot to say this in last post and I had to get it out.

Yeah similar feeling with sprocket popping off. When that happened first time, my biggest worry was if I broke a spoke of the sprocket. By the way, MAKE SURE YOU DON'T NICK THE SPROCKETS. If you drop it, the notches will bend easily. My nephew (5 year old...) thought it was a cool wheel, picks it up and dropped it. ARGH!!!... well, I had to file out the nick and buff it smooth. Maybe, I am over cautious but, the belt life could be affected if there is a nick. Just treat them with care that's all.

Anyway, do you have anyone helping you? I had no help for the entire thing except my bro came to help when loading in the cams with chain and tensioner together. For that time, with link count etc. it is helpful to have a helping hand. Of course, it could be done without any help as I did one side.

I am in NY/NJ region (not giving exact location: fear of Google finding me ). And you?
Nope, I'm running completely solo on this and the most "advanced" job I've done on the car before is changing to my winter set of tires... so this is a big leap for me! I MIGHT be able to find a second set of hands to help with the cam/chains but I might not be able to, with my schedule I'm kinda working at odd times.

I'm in Washington State... so about as far away from you as possible.

Any chance you have any tips on the vent hose? Parts number for the 2002 2.7t? If this car has a suction pump I'll replace that with the vent hose too...

It was broken already a right where it came off the passenger side valve cover but as I was shifting it to try and reach and loosen the combi valve (holly crap that's in a horrible position too!) a huge five or six inch chunk broke... that "hose" is really brittle. I had a huge amount of oil around the center spark plug so to reduce the chance of having future problems I was going to replace the breather hose anyway so I don't still have issues after having a brand new gasket in...

Also, do you have any tips on reaching the aux water pump on the drivers side while/after doing the drivers side valve cover? Can you reach it? Is it easy to reach? Or is it located somewhere else on our cars?
Attached Images   
Old 01-16-2014, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Any chance you have any tips on the vent hose? Parts number for the 2002 2.7t? If this car has a suction pump I'll replace that with the vent hose too...
... Also, do you have any tips on reaching the aux water pump on the drivers side while/after doing the drivers side valve cover? Can you reach it? Is it easy to reach? Or is it located somewhere else on our cars?
I tried looking up part numbers but, not much luck. Easiest thing to do: 1) Google it. 2) Call Audi dealer near you and ask if they have the part and what the part number is. Generally, they'll give you unless they are dick$. Worst case: Go to Auto parts store and get hi-temp hose (match diameter) by foot. Cut it to length and use hose clamps.

If you are still stuck, find where it is going to and from exactly, I'll try digging more.

As far as exact repair procedures on your model/car, I am sorry to say I won't be of much help because mine has 4.2 motor; very different. No Aux pump etc. on my car. Your best bet is the repair manual. Look under removal/installation instructions. Or, Search the forums. I wish I could help more here..

Anyway, this is my t-belt job pics... Pay attention to my "Radiator Stands" . I didn't want to remove trans oil lines - another PIA I didn't want to deal with at that time.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11123...IissIO_s-DluQE

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CRAP! Camshaft moved?! Possible to figure out TDC again?!