A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Converting to diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman
And if the temperatures are above 15 Celsius then you can use used deep fryer oil from your local chinese food retaurant.
and the exhaust aroma will make you hungry..
Old 03-28-2013, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

well you guys have pretty much convinced me to save my money and get an 80's diesel rabbit! lol
Old 03-28-2013, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
well you guys have pretty much convinced me to save my money and get an 80's diesel rabbit! lol
now you're talkin'
Old 03-28-2013, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
That's a good choice because you can convert to bio-fuel like fryer grease with out the epa blah blah, we had a guy on our street who had a old MB converted deisel the thing smoked to high hell and I could almost tell what restaurant he was burning that month.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jcman
That's a good choice because you can convert to bio-fuel like fryer grease with out the epa blah blah, we had a guy on our street who had a old MB converted deisel the thing smoked to high hell and I could almost tell what restaurant he was burning that month.
If it is smoking then there is something else wrong. I have a friend with an 87 300TD wagon and he just filters the deep fryer oil and puts it in the tank. When the temps are below 10 deg C he goes 50/50 with diesel and below minus 10 he doesn't drive it. Saves him a bunch of money.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you want to used filtered veggie oil then you need an older mechanical injection engine such as my old MB 300D. Hard to start on veggie oil so I suggest starting on diesel then switching to veggie after a warm up. There are kits available for this. Newer diesel cars/truck require bio diesel fuel which involves work and money....and methanol.

I have a Dodge 2500 Cummins 4X4 turbo diesel which I use for farming and it gets 23MPG on the highway. (slightly better than my A6) It get almost twice the mpg as a gas version of the same truck.

Have a nice day
Steve
Old 04-02-2013, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by steveinky
If you want to used filtered veggie oil then you need an older mechanical injection engine such as my old MB 300D. Hard to start on veggie oil so I suggest starting on diesel then switching to veggie after a warm up. There are kits available for this. Newer diesel cars/truck require bio diesel fuel which involves work and money....and methanol.

I have a Dodge 2500 Cummins 4X4 turbo diesel which I use for farming and it gets 23MPG on the highway. (slightly better than my A6) It get almost twice the mpg as a gas version of the same truck.

Have a nice day
Steve
There is a company in Medina, Ohio that has conversion kits for the old non-cat coal burners and the newer one's, your right the new kits cost more because of the emission components.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Get a 2.5TDI from Scotty at Advancedautomotion.com. He also sells 01E boxes and c5 final drives with the appropriate gearing for the diesel.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

brian,

whats the cost from scotty? at a certain point i might say **** it and go rs6 turbos
Old 04-03-2013, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's probably considerably more expensive to do the swap, but all things considered, I'd say it's well worth it. I had the option to rebuild my TT's motor for fairly cheap vs perform the TDI swap. EVERYONE except a few TDI guys tried to talk me out of doing it, but I did it anyway.

Car pulls harder through its rpm range than 225 motor did; just doesn't rev as high. And, fuel economy doubled, car runs cooler, maintenance intervals cheaper and longer, and no more emissions testing. And, everywhere I go, people ask me if it's a diesel, who did the swap, etc. It never gets old, and I am so glad I did it.

I can only assume that you will observe the same differences (improvements) if you do the 2.5TDI swap on your car, and probably only downfall you will see is the RPM limit. But really, how much time do you honestly spend over 5,000rpm anyway?

Quick Reply: Converting to diesel?