A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Converting to diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting to diesel?

been giving strong thought to converting, anyone think the2.7L is built enough to handle it? may just swap in a 2.5tdi.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
been giving strong thought to converting, anyone think the2.7L is built enough to handle it? may just swap in a 2.5tdi.
Just swap in the 2.5 tdi. My brother has a 2012 Jetta tdi Sportwagen with the 2.0l and gets over 40 mpg in Cali traffic. Fuel is a little higher most places and if you live in a super cold climate stock up on fuel treatment. Nothing like jelling up on a 17 below 0 morning. Reminds me why I left Nebraaka for North Carolina.

I remember when GM converted a gas V8 to diesel and that worked real well, not! They did rattle pretty good however.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I remember GM, but i also know that many of the VW Gas engines basically started out as diesels that were converted over to gas. almost all of the 80s engines were like this... hell there is an 2.7l v6 diesel option in the c6 version! onlything i can tell different is maybe the block.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

been giving strong thought to converting, anyone think the 2.7L is built enough to handle it? may just swap in a 2.5tdi.
are you going to import the 2.5 TDI engine with the ecu?

what about transmission, is yours a manual?
Old 03-27-2013, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

yes its a manual. and yes was thinking about that.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The new 3.0 TDI A6 is god's answer

Man I had my share of diesels aka Coal Burners as we called them, the first was that GM 5.7 converted so called diesel in a 79 GMC Sierra Custom PU that I bought out of an auction in Flint MI for a flip only to find out that the aluminum rocker pivots were worn out very too soon and the fuel distributor seals leaked (both common problems), yanked that motor out for a gas engine and still made a grand overall (good flip $ those days)

Then there was the 81 VW Dasher with the 1.6l diesel I bought in 83 with 60k miles for a whooping $1800 clean, black and a manual with AC, I kept this one for awhile because of the ridiculous 40mpg on the highway, it was a friggen dog for speed but pulled like an Ox and great in the snow, I threw the belt aggressively down shifting and trashed the engine only to put a 1.7 gas engine to sell it for 900 bucks.

Funny that Husker talks about gelling because I used to put a gallon of kerosene at a fill-up to stop that on the VW and the glow plug wait light time was many seconds compared to my sons 2012 Jetta TDI at 1 or 2 at most.

Turbo I could absolutely say don't bother trying to convert your engine to diesel if I'm catching that drift because the heads-cams, crank-rods-pistons, injectors and F-dist, glow plugs and on and on don't exist for that block.

If you even entertained a 2.5 TDI trans plant the money, time and effort would out way the worth, plus the clean burn diesels use a different type cat system and they are subject to epa emission checks unlike the good old days when coal burners were exempt.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Extra mpg? Aye

Almost makes one wonder about HHO.....Woopsy Dang....did I say that again
Old 03-28-2013, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I remember GM, but i also know that many of the VW Gas engines basically started out as diesels that were converted over to gas. almost all of the 80s engines were like this... hell there is an 2.7l v6 diesel option in the c6 version! onlything i can tell different is maybe the block.
Yeah I had an early 70s Jetta diesel. All you had to do was stand on it and eventually you could get it up to highway speeds. Eventually.............but it was cheap to operate.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jcman
Please explain HHO to me again.......................
Old 03-28-2013, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jcman
And if the temperatures are above 15 Celsius then you can use used deep fryer oil from your local chinese food retaurant.

Quick Reply: Converting to diesel?