A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Control Arm Kit Options

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control Arm Kit Options

So I've done quite a bit of research on complete control arm kits. My car has the standard clunks in the front end that most a6s with 140k miles would after never having any replacements. A while ago, someone on here reportedly used a Vaico kit from Ecs... They seemed to have favorable things to say but clearly didn't have much mileage on them for a durability opinion. I'd rather not take a chance and have to replace something 20k miles from now.

Which brings me to the control arm kit density line from 034 motor sports.. Anyone here have favorable reviews? It look like it was recommended by several posters at audizine but none that owned it personally.

Edit.. I forgot to mention that I didn't link the kit since my phone is being uncooperative.

Last edited by Gsrob; 03-26-2014 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Adding information
Old 03-27-2014, 02:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not sure about those brands, but I've purchased kits from Blauparts for both my A6's and have been very happy:

http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail....A1102%2D02%2DA
Old 03-27-2014, 02:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

And here's some propaganda on the Ocap kit...

http://www.blauparts.com/audi/audi_c...arms_kit.shtml
Old 03-27-2014, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Gsrob
So I've done quite a bit of research on complete control arm kits. My car has the standard clunks in the front end that most a6s with 140k miles would after never having any replacements. A while ago, someone on here reportedly used a Vaico kit from Ecs... They seemed to have favorable things to say but clearly didn't have much mileage on them for a durability opinion. I'd rather not take a chance and have to replace something 20k miles from now.

Which brings me to the control arm kit density line from 034 motor sports.. Anyone here have favorable reviews? It look like it was recommended by several posters at audizine but none that owned it personally.

Edit.. I forgot to mention that I didn't link the kit since my phone is being uncooperative.
I got a Meyle kit from ECS and it's fine. Most of those kits look like they were made in the same factory so price might be the decider.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
I got a Meyle kit from ECS and it's fine. Most of those kits look like they were made in the same factory so price might be the decider.
For my '00 A^ Avant ( 130,000miles) I installed a full Febi /Bilstein kit from German Auto Parts, along with new Boge shocks. I also upgraded the outer tie rod ends to the ones used in the S6 without a rubber isolator.
The kit installed perfectly - and I'm totally amazed with the result.
Be certain to follow the instructions and not torque the mounting bolts without the suspension in curb weight position.
If you do not follow this the rubber bushings will fail very prematurely.
Good luck!
Old 04-05-2014, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all of the recommendations... Anyone care to comment about the mileage/durability they've seen out of their kits? Husker, I've gotta say that they all look the same to me too. I'm not opposed to spending a little bit more if I am really getting a little bit more. But I don't want to over spend for basically the same parts.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Gsrob
Thanks for all of the recommendations... Anyone care to comment about the mileage/durability they've seen out of their kits? Husker, I've gotta say that they all look the same to me too. I'm not opposed to spending a little bit more if I am really getting a little bit more. But I don't want to over spend for basically the same parts.
I only have about 5,000 on the Meyle kit so not enough miles to give you a durability rating. They still feel tight over the rough stuff so I'm happy. I think proper installation, i.e. correct torque at ride height, is critical.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by autlaw
Yes, they all do look similar, but trust me there is a BIG DIFFERENCE. At 135K I replaced all of mine with a no-name kit I got on ebay....BIG MISTAKE. The ball joint in the upper front driver is completely trashed in only 12K miles. I'm also looking for feedback on Meyle HD and 034 density line. thanks
Gotta wonder if trashing a set of ball joints in 12K on a car with 135K isn't a function of worn shocks….
Old 04-07-2014, 07:13 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Gotta wonder if trashing a set of ball joints in 12K on a car with 135K isn't a function of worn shocks….
How?
Old 04-07-2014, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Reports from the field over many, many years say that OEM (TRW/Lemforderer) outlast any of the kits. That said, i suspect that many amateur mechanics, or just plain sloppy ones, dont torque them at neutral ride height, which will kill anything.

Some report the meyle HD kit looks like an improvement, but the miles and years are not in to judge it yet.

Grant

Quick Reply: Control Arm Kit Options