A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Concert stereo....wow!! But???

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 09:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Concert stereo....wow!! But???

Well I've just taken ownership of my 2003 avant.
Firstly wow that stereo is awesome, nice sound with the built in sub and components. However. I'm into mp3 in a big way and have already purchased a Bluetooth mp3 capable head unit.
Will I need to use a special fitting kit to address speaker connections?? Or can I just plug straight in????
Thanks guys
Dan
Old 06-28-2012, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If you like the stereo, why ruin it with bluetooth link? Bluetooth is awful quality.

G
Old 06-28-2012, 11:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ahhhh. Bluetooth is only going to be there for the phone lol. USB and discs for mp3.
I'd love to keep the factory unit but tbh I've moved away from CDs and rarely use them. My last car had all music on a flash drive which was easily updated and plugged back in via USB.
The new head unit has a similar function as well as the bonus of operating as a hands free for the phone.
Aside from that I'm currently struggling to find a suitable cubby for CDs in the car lol.
Cheers G
Dan
Old 06-28-2012, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

The previous owner of my allroad installed an aftermarket MP3 (headphone jack) input. Just change the headunit to the ext CD changer function, and it plays whatever is being input through this plug. It seems to work well, though I never really listen to music.

To answer your question, the connections will vary depending upon whether you have a Bose headunit or not. If you're set on using an aftermarket headunit, your best bet is to buy an adapter kit through Crutchfield or the like. You'll need an adapter for the antenna and some sort of aftermarket mounting bracket/bezel anyway. In my opinion, about 95% of these aftermarket installs turn out looking like crap and sounding worse than the original equipment.

Last edited by Teutonix; 06-28-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Teutonix
The previous owner of my allroad installed an aftermarket MP3 (headphone jack) input. Just change the headunit to the ext CD changer function, and it plays whatever is being input through this plug. It seems to work well, though I never really listen to music.

To answer your question, the connections will vary depending upon whether you have a Bose headunit or not. If you're set on using an aftermarket headunit, your best bet is to buy an adapter kit through Crutchfield or the like. You'll need an adapter for the antenna and some sort of aftermarket mounting bracket/bezel anyway. In my opinion, about 95% of these aftermarket installs turn out looking like crap and sounding worse than the original equipment.
A cassette adapter (like you used to use with a Discman before cars had CD players) seems to work decently well if you don't want to spend much money. Definitely seems to be superior to those FM and Bluetooth options, and it's just as simple and dirt cheap to boot. Now myself, I have one of those full PIE adapter setups installed with a switcher box, where you can select between the CD changer and the aux input. Excellent sound quality, but a bit more expensive as you have to rip out the console and wire everything up.