A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

code 18014 ABS

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 02:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default code 18014 ABS

2000 A6 quattro 2.8

This 2000 is the latest one of several over the years bought for a teen driver due to it's incredible condition and price.
Got the ABS code 18014 ( rough road signal) after she bottom it out and holed the oil pan. ABS and Brake light came and went for a few weeks and now both are on permanently. Obviously ultra paranoid now because the ABS is not working and we live in Colorado!
I had Module Masters fix an abs unit on my old 98 years ago but for the life of me don't remember the codes or the scenario behind the fix. Only that I sent it out and re-installed it and it worked great for years.
Anyone had any luck with this particular code and a rebuilt unit or is this code more of a wiring/ sensor issue? Planning on pulling the wheels this weekend and checking the harness and all connections.
Thanks for any insight......
Old 01-16-2014, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

Sounds like you are on the right track .. these modules suffer from old solder joints and can fracture , sound slike what happened here when the car bottomed. I would do exactly as you are doing .. check the sensor outputs and after that go for the module .
if i remember correctly to test the sensors i put my meter on Ac and just spun the wheel on all 4 at about the same speed .. you should ahve rouhly the same output from each sensor .. if all that checks out i would say have the module checked out.

FWIW millions of people for many many years learned to drive drove .. and retired from driving , without any ABS . its not the end of the world.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag
Sounds like you are on the right track .. these modules suffer from old solder joints and can fracture , sound slike what happened here when the car bottomed. I would do exactly as you are doing .. check the sensor outputs and after that go for the module .
if i remember correctly to test the sensors i put my meter on Ac and just spun the wheel on all 4 at about the same speed .. you should ahve rouhly the same output from each sensor .. if all that checks out i would say have the module checked out.

FWIW millions of people for many many years learned to drive drove .. and retired from driving , without any ABS . its not the end of the world.
True about the driving…but millions learned how to drive poorly whenever it rained or snowed and crashed. ABS today to many people means Automatic Brake System…you'd be surprised how many crashes are blamed on ABS…'It's got Automatic Braking System, Officer…and it didn't work!'
Paradoxically, the number of rear end crashes didn't magically drop with the widespread use of ABS, either. Correlation isn't causation, but I note that no insurance company today gives a discount for cars equipped with ABS as opposed to those that aren't.
One reason could be that most people just don't stand on that pedal when they really need to…they let up or hit it just hard enough to feel the pulsation….that generally doesn't mean the front wheels/tires are being modulated…just the rears. Ergo….longer stopping distances than without ABS if you just locked up the brakes.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea if it were me driving I would not care but a 16 Y>O> driving on ice and snow I would say the ABS is essential. In the old days we were at least conditioned not to over steer and correct a bad slide ( grew up in N>E>).
I don't think today's drivers would have a clue on how to do that
Will post after inspection!
Thanks for replies.......
Old 01-17-2014, 01:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by audifield1
I don't think today's drivers would have a clue on how to do that
Sounds like a teaching opportunity...