A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Cigarette Smell

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 05:04 AM
Fear the Miata!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dryer sheets under the front seats....change them once every 2 weeks....
Old 01-26-2009, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I smoke in my car...with windows down but what you could do is this

on a weekend or when you have time get decent air freshener (maybe from griots or something), start your car up and turn on the heat...so that it circulates ...then spray it down by the drive and passenger foot area and the intake to the air conditioner will pull the scent into the system. Let it run for about 5 minutes or so and that should help a lot...it did with my car. I think that is were most of your smell is coming from.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disagree.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I agree, any air freshener is simply adding more smells to the existing problem....

The only way to clear the smell is to wash down all the interior parts of the car. It may even be worth shampooing the carpet. I just hope thye did not drive woth the air-recirculation on as this would have saturated the ventilation ducts as well, although, that should clear quite quickly - good luck and if you have a sunroof, drive with that tilted open all the time and leave it open when parked.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:00 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Excellent post!
Old 01-26-2009, 09:14 AM

Default What may help is a clean of the carpets with a carpet cleaner

I mean the process where you spray water on, then vacuum it out. I think Rug Doctor have an upholstery adapter for their machines.

Also you have become hypersensitised, which is causing the headache.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i smoke in my car occasionaly with the window(s) open and the next day youd never know

i always open the sunroof, and at least 1 window, i have non-smokers in my car all the time and they dont believe me when i say i smoke in it.

im guessing the PO smoked with the windows up. thats gonna hard to "air out" because the tar and smoke resin will stick to everything it touches. if smoke sits in one place too long it gets "sticky", and i have no idea how to clean that out. i dont believe there is a way to be honest.

my suggestions:
-rub all surfaces with dryer sheets. maybe leave a few under the seats even...
-everytime you park the car, hose tje interior down with air fresheners (oust, lysol, fabreeze, etc) then close the doors and just let it sit.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Wash, wash, febreeze...

The PO of my A6 was a heavy smoker. In the last two years I have used a steam cleaner on the carpets and headliner 3-4 times. I have washed the leather with mild soap 5-6 times. I have febreezed the air vents 3-4 times (air on high, recirculation on). Every few months I rewash the leather as that is the place where I can still smell smoke with my nose pressed against it. The ventilation system still has it too. I just keep washing when the smell resurfaces to an annoying level. The smell has dropped 90% from where it was when I bought it, but it is still there. It is one of the biggest reasons I want a fresh start with a different A6. Switching to 6-speed is the other.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I also disagree. I have had a car like that before and used an open bowl of

vinigar. Maybe try a pie plate or something that big. Leave it in there with the windows up and doors closed. May need to wait till summer. There is also a product that comes in a bag that works well. You just leave it in the back seat floor board. I used this to take the smoke smell from a fireplace but is designed to work on cig smell. I can get the name if you need.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Agree, with full interior shampoo including the roof liner where most of the smell gets into

Quick Reply: Cigarette Smell