A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

check engine light one more time, 2000 A6 Avant

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No, lets blame the brand.

My A6 spend about 2 months of my first year of ownership in the shop. My BMW has spend 3 days in the shop, one for a radiator, one for new thrust arms, and one for an alignment.

Similar cars, similar age & mileage.

Not that the BMW is entirely free from issues - the radiators and cooling system have issues, and the front control arms fail. But generally it is vastly easier to work on for the DIYer, is engineered much more simply, and is more dependable.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Drove alongside a Nissan GTR for a couple miles the other day...awesome car.

Reminded me of the way UrQuattros move...

Size matters...BF brakes on the thing and sewer pipes for exhaust.

Shoulda had a V8 though.....
Old 12-05-2008, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My boxster is totally reliable so far.

nothing. Nada. Zilch. 21k / 3.5 years

G
Old 12-05-2008, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yes, they break more than they should. Now, do the actual math and see if...

a new car saves you money.

And audis are *nice cars* to drive, to ride in, etc.

Life if full of trade-offs.

G
Old 12-05-2008, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I understand your frustration. I am not sure how much research you

did before you bought the car but I think a lot of us knew that this car was going to be expensive to keep up. Some of us are a bit luckier than others with regards to maintenance. I kind of knew what I was getting into so I don't get too upset when things go wrong. I think just about any car that starts to get old will require maintenance, its just that these cars cost more to get fixed. I am going to try and keep mine for at least another 4 years...after that I will look to get another new/used car...probably a S5...mainly because its one of the only manuals I can get in an Audi...if its not that then I am going to get that Magnum SRT...I like those cars/wagons...heh. But I feel your pain. I will say this though...when these cars are working...they work wonderfully and to me it makes up for all the cost...just my opinion.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:36 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Really? I've had very few actual problems with my car other than wear items.

Our A4, that's another matter. But considering it's 10 years old now, to be expected.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Probably, because I did not expect to keep it as long as I have-(more)

Wife has gotten the last two new cars, just my bad luck. When I did buy it, there were indications that the service records for BMW and MB were better, but I wanted a wagon, and I wanted quattro. The aggravating thing for me, still, given that this was $40K in 2000-year dollars, and my mileage is relatively light for the time I have it, I should not see the things breaking, that have broken. Last February, for example, had to change out the PS pump. The mechnanic first tried changing out the PS hose three times, and all three times it blew out-the over-pressure valvue inside the pump that frozen. At point, there was about 71K miles on the car, so I was shocked I needed a new pump.
And then there is all the other issues, which I have reported, here. It was a lot of fun for the first 5-6 years owning/driving this car.
Its not so fun, anymore.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Maybe a Lexus...but

I need a wagon-type vehicle for my lifestyle,
but I want it to be dynamic, too. Maybe
a 3-series wagon. The BMW reliability ratings for cars of the same age seem to be much better than VW/Audi. I think I would even consider a C-class wagon at this point, but I believe MB has stopped marketing that body style in North America.
Regarding what you said about the Camry, that's
ironic. My next-door neighbor had a MY99 2.8
Sedan, much higher mileage than my Avant, and it started costing him serious money. He dumped it and got the Camry you praise. And he is very happy with his choice. My wife has asked me if I want to take her 06 MDX for myself, and she would get something small. But I don't see myself as an SUV driver.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Hang on for LS-F...see autoblog.com. 500hp in a Lexus GS or LS, 'bout tree-fiddy-fi.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:26 AM

Those Turbo Cabs are awesome. I will be looking for a C4 Cab or maybe a C4S Cab when the time comes

Quick Reply: check engine light one more time, 2000 A6 Avant