A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Car over heats in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 06:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car over heats in cold weather

2002 A6 2.7T. We had a cold snap it got down to negative 18F on the way home last night. About half way home the temperature started to climb. So I turned the heat to max and set the air to all vents (defrost, dash and floor).
Once I got closer to town I took a side road home and the temperature went back to normal.
The next morning I started the car let it warm up (It was negative 20F).
Started the drive to work and by the time I got on the highway I did not have any heat so I got off at the next exit and let the car cool off then headed back to town. The car did got hot enough to pop the radiator/reservoir cap and leak coolant
Any ideas what would cause this?

I am thinking the T-stat.
Thanks for the help.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Freezing of the coolant
Old 12-27-2015, 11:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This summer the I replaced the heater core and refilled the cooling system with a 50/50 mix of G13 Audi coolant. I did not check the mix with a hydrometer. When I get home I will pick up a coolant tester and check it.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default I'm thinking thermostat as well.

Originally Posted by wshymas
2002 A6 2.7T. We had a cold snap it got down to negative 18F on the way home last night. About half way home the temperature started to climb. So I turned the heat to max and set the air to all vents (defrost, dash and floor).
Once I got closer to town I took a side road home and the temperature went back to normal.
The next morning I started the car let it warm up (It was negative 20F).
Started the drive to work and by the time I got on the highway I did not have any heat so I got off at the next exit and let the car cool off then headed back to town. The car did got hot enough to pop the radiator/reservoir cap and leak coolant
Any ideas what would cause this?

I am thinking the T-stat.
Thanks for the help.
Frozen coolant would jam the water pump and if not probably overheat the engine before the coolant thawed enough to circulate.
50/50 is generally enough to -35F. 49% is -30F, 52.5% is -40F.

And just to rub salt in the wound…it was 70F here in Olney, MD today. 67F right now 1840 Eastern Standard Time.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It does not need to jam the water pump, just freeze over the radiator (easy to happen even with good antifreeze due to the small passages)and it will act like the thermostat is stuck closed.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 342 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by N_Jay
Freezing of the coolant
Wow! I would never have imagined that. I thought coolant is supposed not to freeze or boil?
Old 12-28-2015, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko
Wow! I would never have imagined that. I thought coolant is supposed not to freeze or boil?
It depends on the coolant mix % with water, although 100% water provides the best heat transfer it's downside is lack of lubrication, corrosion and unsustainable temp limits such as freezing and boiling beyond engine operating temps and outside temps.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 342 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by jcman
It depends on the coolant mix % with water, although 100% water provides the best heat transfer it's downside is lack of lubrication, corrosion and unsustainable temp limits such as freezing and boiling beyond engine operating temps and outside temps.
Makes sense...
Old 12-28-2015, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default I did not disagree.

Originally Posted by N_Jay
It does not need to jam the water pump, just freeze over the radiator (easy to happen even with good antifreeze due to the small passages)and it will act like the thermostat is stuck closed.
But again, I've never had frozen coolant, even in MN at -40F and that was in winters of the 60's with Prestone. I admit that I used a tank heater or lower radiator hose heater but I didn't leave it on overnight; usually 15minutes in the morning was enough to warm the coolant before starting the 283 CSB. Others used battery warmers/blankets but I never had to.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
But again, I've never had frozen coolant, even in MN at -40F and that was in winters of the 60's with Prestone. I admit that I used a tank heater or lower radiator hose heater but I didn't leave it on overnight; usually 15minutes in the morning was enough to warm the coolant before starting the 283 CSB. Others used battery warmers/blankets but I never had to.
Even a bit of slushing in the radiator will slow down flow enough to cause issues momentarily, ask me how I know...

Quick Reply: Car over heats in cold weather