A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

can you belive what kind of review they putting on internet???

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can you belive what kind of review they putting on internet???

Audi: Never Follow
Date Posted: 07/18/2007 By: GuyfromMD RATING:

DETAILED RATINGS:
Performance: 5 Fun-to-Drive: 7 Build Quality: 2
Comfort: 8 Interior Design: 8 Reliability: 4
Fuel Economy: 6 Exterior Design: 8

Vehicle
1999 Audi A6 4 Dr Quattro 4WD Sedan
Review
A6 was previously owned by close relatives, we took over few years ago. They were the original owners. They replaced the fuel pump and other components. We paid $700 for service. Since then the car has literally fallen apart. From 108k -117k miles, the driveshaft messed up, the transmission needs to be replaced, sparkplug wires are corroded, vacuum hoses are clogged, interior is falling apart, door handles and everything. Dealer wants $6300 for new trans. Even at discount, trans would still be worth more than the car. Car has poor resale value. I despise this car, I wish we never took over it. We took care of it, but it didn't help. Audi's slogan is "Never Follow", trust me ... I wont!
Favorite Features
Great A/C system, decent handling, good sound system (thanks to Bose, not Audi). Nice exterior and interior styling.
Suggested Improvements
The worst built car my family and I have ever owned. It is VERY slow, its embarrassing. No matter what you fix, something new will come up, and it is not going to be cheap either.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:22 PM

Default Re: can you belive what kind of review they putting on internet???

I am sick of reading this kind of post. today i even called edmunds research to tell them that is not nice to see these posts by fans of american wehicles.
I told them that i have 1999 from first day and never fixed anything.
I mean: i did regular services, changed one fog light (broken by my mistake) timing belt, spark plugs, brakes, and this is it.
couple reecalls fixed in warranty.
Anyway i am wondering am i the only person lucky with this car or people trying to get other people to think what????
Old 03-22-2008, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default well, there's a number of explanations for why they said it..

one, it could be a lemon, though doubtful, two, the person could be unreasonably hard on cars, 3, the previous owner might not have maintained it right, 4, they could just be whining, 5, they could be stupid, 6, they could be lying, 7...so on and so on.

these cars aren't for everyone. mine has not been perfect, but I'm still far happier with it than any of my previous cars.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It seems that most whinging about used cars comes from poor maintenance by previous owners

and unrealistic expectations of current owners.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:53 PM

Default That's all I've done for the past several months. Slowly fixing all the thing the last ower F'ed up.

There's not a lot mind you, but the car will need a new front bumper skin at some point. The whole lower part where te belly pan and bumper attach is mangled.

Why are people so hard on such nice cars? Is it more money that scense? I mean this '03 2.7T A6 I'm driving now probably cost a whole crap load more new than the $22K I bought it for with 30K miles on it.

How does a person spend a bunch of money on a car and not treat it nice?
Old 03-22-2008, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Imagine not having access to this forum for help when you bought your Audi.

We'd probably have no idea what's considered a good deal on parts or repairs or how to diagnose and fix things. This forum has saved me thousands of $ and several trips to the repair shop. We DO have expensive high maintenance cars. Most people don't get their hands dirty working on their own vehicle. Your right, these cars aren't for everyone.

I do enjoy my A6, but I've had about $5000 (mainly thansmission) of work done in the 2 years I've owned it.My sister has a Lexus Gs300. She's had it same 2 yr length and spent $500 on replacing a caliper and brake job. I just wished my Audi was that well behaved.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: can you belive what kind of review they putting on internet???

i love my audi 1999 a6, 2.8, 190,000km still beautiful and tight, only thing was lack of low end power, but s/c fixed that, audi rules...
Old 03-23-2008, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hey, if that's what happened.....

what's your objection to facts? Do you know this is false? I'd be more angry at Audi for making TCs that fail, and then chargign $6300 for the rebuild. Dont blame the poor slobs that got stuck with a poorly maintained car.

Grant
Old 03-23-2008, 05:18 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Funny that the only real positive comment he had was about the AC.

The AC has been the trouble spot on our nearly trouble free 99.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default April, as usual, is on target.

Although I object to the fact that Audis require so much maint to be OK. Witness how poorly you can treat Hondas and Toyotas ( and, for that matter, Chevys) and still get away with it. Ignore them, they still run. Mostly.

Wasn;t it C&D that said "GM vehicles run badly far longer than most vehicles run"?

Grant

Quick Reply: can you belive what kind of review they putting on internet???