A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Door Freezing/Stuck Open Under 10 Degrees F...

Old 01-22-2014, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Freezing/Stuck Open Under 10 Degrees F...

So last time the temperature was below 10 degrees Fahrenheit or so, my driver-side door opened just fine, but when I went to close it, it wouldn't latch. Unfortunately, the temperature never rose above the twenty degree mark for the following three days and I tried a number of things without success (until I had the heat rolling in the car for like 30 minutes) that would allow it to latch. Anyway, someone on a different, unrelated forum suggested that many cars allow moisture to settle in the door latch assembly, causing it to freeze in low temps. They recommended WD-40 everywhere that I looked. Against my better judgement (because I think there are things far better than WD-40 and things that don't eat plastic, paint, or rubber) I gave it a try. That didn't help.

This current winter storm however, while I was 'winterizing' my door seals to prevent ice from making it near impossible to get inside after a freezing rain or snow, I read that di-electric grease is recommended for rubber seals and weather stripping on cars. Luckily I had small tube and took care of the weather stripping and coated the latch assembly, at least what I could get to without opening the door panel in the snow. It turns out that I fixed the problem. I guess enough moisture was displaced to prevent the latch from sticking open.

Regardless, sorry for the long post but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? It was really, really frustrating until I fixed it.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gsrob
So last time the temperature was below 10 degrees Fahrenheit or so, my driver-side door opened just fine, but when I went to close it, it wouldn't latch. Unfortunately, the temperature never rose above the twenty degree mark for the following three days and I tried a number of things without success (until I had the heat rolling in the car for like 30 minutes) that would allow it to latch. Anyway, someone on a different, unrelated forum suggested that many cars allow moisture to settle in the door latch assembly, causing it to freeze in low temps. They recommended WD-40 everywhere that I looked. Against my better judgement (because I think there are things far better than WD-40 and things that don't eat plastic, paint, or rubber) I gave it a try. That didn't help.

This current winter storm however, while I was 'winterizing' my door seals to prevent ice from making it near impossible to get inside after a freezing rain or snow, I read that di-electric grease is recommended for rubber seals and weather stripping on cars. Luckily I had small tube and took care of the weather stripping and coated the latch assembly, at least what I could get to without opening the door panel in the snow. It turns out that I fixed the problem. I guess enough moisture was displaced to prevent the latch from sticking open.

Regardless, sorry for the long post but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? It was really, really frustrating until I fixed it.
Seems like a great fix for the problem, thanks for sharing.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

....I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? It was really, really frustrating until I fixed it...
Yes and Yes! Very annoying. I simply used white grease around the latch areas. Never had an issue after that.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

this has happened to me a few times. wd-40 worked a couple times and 2 other times it didnt work. one day i had to get to work and couldnt tinker with it anymore so i drove off holding the door handle from the inside keeping the door as shut as i could....stopped at dunks and then was able to shut it probably after the heat from inside my car helped it out. ugh that was an interesting drive, luckily in that case i have auto. also lifting upwards on the door when trying to shut seemed to help as well. after this post though i might look into getting di-electric grease and lube up! thanks
Old 01-23-2014, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to take the latch out, disassemble it, clean it of old grease and grime, then add some white lithium, put back together.

Spraying lube up the latch won't reach critical components and is only temporary at best.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

I've used PB Blaster dry lube. It sprays on and dries whitish film. The film is pretty good lube.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

yup i had it too .. took the whole thing apart and inspected it .. the rubbing togther parts were just worn out and the spring assemblies werent strong enough anymore, even after lubes of all kinds .. new latch required.. Got yours working i see and that is great .. but when the spring in it cant even overcome cold thick grease you know your days are numbered.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Another day of 4 degree weather and 0 problems. I guess I got lucky that the whole assembly wasn't shot.

I was going to use white lithium grease but decided not to since it wasn't recommended for weather stripping (has petroleum, at least most of the major brands do). I was lazy and put the dielectric grease on both since it was already snowing.

Regarding the above guy that had to drive holding the door closed... My car's a 6 speed and I had to do the same thing. Not fun, let me tell you. At first I thought it wouldn't be a problem since I was only a mile or two from work but I didn't take into consideration any of the 10 or so curves and slower drivers forcing me to shift and turn at the same time.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

oh man a stick yes that is impressive!!!! i was feeling the same think in regards to the curves. even the little ones was like oh sh** better hold on. hahha i can picture you now though doing that all with a stick...good stuff! where can you pick up that dielectric grease by the way? and you literally just wipe it all over all of the rubber in the door jams? im in southern nh so ya its basically zero degrees now a days! thanks
Another day of 4 degree weather and 0 problems. I guess I got lucky that the whole assembly wasn't shot.

I was going to use white lithium grease but decided not to since it wasn't recommended for weather stripping (has petroleum, at least most of the major brands do). I was lazy and put the dielectric grease on both since it was already snowing.

Regarding the above guy that had to drive holding the door closed... My car's a 6 speed and I had to do the same thing. Not fun, let me tell you. At first I thought it wouldn't be a problem since I was only a mile or two from work but I didn't take into consideration any of the 10 or so curves and slower drivers forcing me to shift and turn at the same time.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

There is also a specialty weatherstrip lube by Wurth. Rubber Care. Or use a silicone spray.

Or gummi pflege….

einszett 914806 'Gummi Pflege Stift' Rubber Care Stick - 3.4 fl. oz : Amazon.com : Automotive einszett 914806 'Gummi Pflege Stift' Rubber Care Stick - 3.4 fl. oz : Amazon.com : Automotive

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door Freezing/Stuck Open Under 10 Degrees F...