A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Cam Timing On Bank 1 Cylinder Head (Pass Side)....Wont Line Up with Notches HELP?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Timing On Bank 1 Cylinder Head (Pass Side)....Wont Line Up with Notches HELP?????

I sent my heads out to be redone by a machine shop. I have a 2000 Audi A6 Quattro 2.8L..... The bottom end of the motor has also been redone by another machine shop.. I am very mechanically inclined, and have all the tools for this job of putting my motor back together , although when I look at the heads I sent out when they came back the driver side bank2 cam notches line up perfect but the passenger side bank1 doesnt. I have photos I will be uploading....Why is it that the one head lines up and the other doesn't????? I need to know the correct procedure on how to straighten this out I do not want to crash my motor too much money invested????? I know about the 16 rollers, and crank TDC at cylinder 3 with locking pin, but I need to understand the 16 roller procedure more clearly if any one can help....

Thanks
Thomas
Old 12-14-2013, 09:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default PICS OF PASSENGER SIDE CYLINDER HEAD

PICS ARE BELOW ALSO A QUESTION DOES IT MATTER IF THE NOTCHES ARE 16 ROLLERS PERIOD OR 16 ROLLERS FROM THE MARKS ON THE CAM BEARING CAPS???? WHAT IF THERE 16 ROLLERS BUT NOT AT THE ARROWS ON CAM BEARING CAP??? WHEN CAM NOTCHES ARE LINED UP WITH ARROWS ON CAM BEARING CAPS THE VALVES ARE OPEN ON CYLINDER 2 IS THIS THE CASE FOR TDC POSITION IN WHOLE OR NO????

THANKS

JAMES
Attached Images      
Old 12-15-2013, 02:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tj2k11
I sent my heads out to be redone by a machine shop. I have a 2000 Audi A6 Quattro 2.8L..... The bottom end of the motor has also been redone by another machine shop.. I am very mechanically inclined, and have all the tools for this job of putting my motor back together , although when I look at the heads I sent out when they came back the driver side bank2 cam notches line up perfect but the passenger side bank1 doesnt. I have photos I will be uploading....Why is it that the one head lines up and the other doesn't????? I need to know the correct procedure on how to straighten this out I do not want to crash my motor too much money invested????? I know about the 16 rollers, and crank TDC at cylinder 3 with locking pin, but I need to understand the 16 roller procedure more clearly if any one can help....

Thanks
Thomas
Thomas, here is a link to the procedure from a previous post. Hope it helps. You need to get the notches on the cam shafts aligned with the arrows on the cam caps first. Then you can start counting. 16 on the passenger and 15 on the driver side. You have to hold your mouth right to do the driver side because you can't get a straight shot visually to look at the marks. Have fun! Be patient! TDC is set at the crank and should be pinned with the lock.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2826679
Old 12-15-2013, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that you should put the heads back on the car before you worry about the rollers. The rollers should be 16 pins apart, and I know on the 2.7T it is actually 15 pins on one side even though the manual says 16 pins. Not sure if it is the same on the 2.8 but I would assume it is similar.

I would put the head on the car, put the crankshaft locking pin in, and use the cam bar to turn the cams into position and then re-evaluate the situation. They may just not be lining up right because of the cam adjuster not having pressure and/or the positioning of the cams.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

PICS ARE BELOW ALSO A QUESTION DOES IT MATTER IF THE NOTCHES ARE 16 ROLLERS PERIOD OR 16 ROLLERS FROM THE MARKS ON THE CAM BEARING CAPS???? WHAT IF THERE 16 ROLLERS BUT NOT AT THE ARROWS ON CAM BEARING CAP??? WHEN CAM NOTCHES ARE LINED UP WITH ARROWS ON CAM BEARING CAPS THE VALVES ARE OPEN ON CYLINDER 2 IS THIS THE CASE FOR TDC POSITION IN WHOLE OR NO????
Old 12-16-2013, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The arrows are there for a reason. Arrows point to notches. Re-read jseklund comment and get the heads on and the cams lined up first. Then you can count rollers between the arrows/notches. 16 on passenger and 15 on driver. Also read the link to the old post I included earlier. There are other links in that post that are helpful. Make sure you understand what you are doing before you proceed. Good luck.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Follow the advice in this thread. What they are saying is correct. Also, I would consult the service manual for actual link count for your engine/model. I may be wrong but, it looks like the counts are different for different engines. At first, I was also confused about the links, cam locking, everything aligned etc. First put the heads on and then try to align things. It is possible the machine shop already aligned them and they are under valve spring tension. Search for "cam" etc. and filter with my user id. I asked these questions before; perhaps they might help.

Bottom line: The notches on camshafts MUST match with arrow marks on bearing caps. But, your timing would only be accurate if this is done at TDC or Crankshaft locked with locking pin and Cam locking bar is in place locking both cams. Then count the links to make sure. If you do this properly, there is no chance you will have timing problems. Lastly, Don't improvise or "guesstimate". They are clearly marked to avoid exactly this sort of confusion.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default ????????

I hate to sound rude but clearly you guys are not understanding what I'm talking about. My cam marks are lining up on both of my head bank one and bank two the marks are not the issue. The motor is outside of the car meaning I have it on a engine stand. For crank is set at TDC on cylinder number three. The heads the intake manifold everything is separated from the engine. Once again for cams are already a line arrows are pointing to the notches on both cylinder heads. I'm asking whether if at TDC is bank one which is the passenger-side head valves open at TDC on cylinders one and two. I already understand the concept of how to line up the cams which they already lined up and how to put the crank it TDC as soon as the number three that's not the issue I'm wondering if the valves are opening on cylinders one and two with the timing belt connected meaning on bank one cylinder head when the cam notches line up with the arrows are the valves open or should they be closed that is the question
Old 12-24-2013, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I hate to sound rude but clearly you guys are not understanding what I'm talking about. My cam marks are lining up on both of my head bank one and bank two the marks are not the issue. The motor is outside of the car meaning I have it on a engine stand. For crank is set at TDC on cylinder number three. The heads the intake manifold everything is separated from the engine. Once again for cams are already a line arrows are pointing to the notches on both cylinder heads. I'm asking whether if at TDC is bank one which is the passenger-side head valves open at TDC on cylinders one and two. I already understand the concept of how to line up the cams which they already lined up and how to put the crank it TDC as soon as the number three that's not the issue I'm wondering if the valves are opening on cylinders one and two with the timing belt connected meaning on bank one cylinder head when the cam notches line up with the arrows are the valves open or should they be closed that is the question
You are correct. I don't know what you are talking about. Sorry.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default ????

I left that reply from my iphone it misspell things so sorry.. This is my question when the engine is all put back together and the timing belt is connected what are the position of the valves??? When the cam notches are lined up on bank 1 which is the passenger side head the valves are open on cylinder one and two....The head is off the car so when the notches are lined up and you look at the bottom of the head the valves are opened up.. So when the crank is set at TDC on cylinder number three are the valves open on cylinder two and one meaning the piston stroke on cylinder two and one should not be at its highest peak...Do you understand my question now????

Thanks

Quick Reply: Cam Timing On Bank 1 Cylinder Head (Pass Side)....Wont Line Up with Notches HELP?????