A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Brake fluid flush, how much fluid?

Old 03-06-2012, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I said, the sensor wire got cut (((the light to change brake pads went on))) and she thinks there is a difference. I did not notice anything unusual, I saw the brake pads myself, so I know they are still good...

So can I do the vag-com bleeding even if there is no air in the system, with the original fluid?
Old 03-06-2012, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have never had to activate the ABS pump. (ergo no vag com required)

unless you somehow got air in it, it should not be the problem. And i believe its out of the system anyway while inactive. Others, no?

You will use the pressure bleeder on other cares, i would expect. but do what you want.

G
Old 03-06-2012, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

you ssaw both outside *AND* inside pads?

The inside wears faster - it is pushed by the piston. The outside is pushed only by the "equal and opposite force" and if the caliper is not floating smoothly, wears relatively little.

G
Old 03-06-2012, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

agree must distinguish between mush and high effort. Disagree on fluid - why use super blue, which absorbs water faster than say, GT-LMA, if the car is a DD?

I think that's a bad idea.

And if you use the measures i gave earlier, you don't need the color change. Further, the color will change, from dark to light.

G
Old 03-06-2012, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Brake System
- 1.0 L (1.06
qt.) P/N B 000 700A
Old 03-07-2012, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Sounds like your faster solution is to simply strip the sensor wire and wind it together and tape it until you get new pads.

If the pads have more than 2mm on both pads they aren't at the service limit. OTOH, if the ridge on the outside of the rotor is pretty big, it will wear the outside of the pad and the rotor will hit the brake pad backing plate before the pad material itself is worn. You'll HEAR the metal-to-metal noise but braking will probably not be significantly affected. At that point it's generally accepted that it's time to change pads if not rotors as well.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The reason I don't use GT-LMA is I had a bad experience with Girling master cylinders on Saabs. The fluid turned black and the pedal got mushy/went to floor within 16 months (outside the one-year warranty on the rebuilt master cylinder). Castrol wouldn't cover it, neither would the vendor. I went through two master cylinders...on the second one I gave up on the Castrol and used ATE Blue...no problems ever since.

That being said, the local Audi dealer uses Castrol GT-LMA fluid if you ask at the parts counter for brake fluid.

Another reason is the color...it's just easier to see the clean fluid. Personal preference.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

One other point I just found out that Florida doesn't allow blue brake fluid according to TireRack.
ATE does sell the brake fluid in amber color for Florida residents.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
The reason I don't use GT-LMA is I had a bad experience with Girling master cylinders on Saabs. The fluid turned black and the pedal got mushy/went to floor within 16 months (outside the one-year warranty on the rebuilt master cylinder). Castrol wouldn't cover it, neither would the vendor. I went through two master cylinders...on the second one I gave up on the Castrol and used ATE Blue...no problems ever since.

That being said, the local Audi dealer uses Castrol GT-LMA fluid if you ask at the parts counter for brake fluid.

Another reason is the color...it's just easier to see the clean fluid. Personal preference.
That local dealer is selling non-OEM approved spec brake fluid AFAIK. The factory uses Super Dot 4, which Pentosin is. Castrol GT-LMA is not Super Dot 4 brake fluid. You would have to use Castrol Response Super Dot 4 or React Performance Dot 4 to meet factory specs. GT LMA has a slightly lower boiling point both wet and dry when compared to the Castrol Super Dot 4 versions. Pentosin is OEM spec brake fluid. Ate SL.6 brake fluid is also Super Dot 4.

http://www.pentosin.net/pressrelease...uperDOT4_2.pdf

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp...BrakeFluid.pdf
http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp...S_RESSDOT4.PDF

Last edited by ezveedub; 03-07-2012 at 06:25 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
One other point I just found out that Florida doesn't allow blue brake fluid according to TireRack.
ATE does sell the brake fluid in amber color for Florida residents.
Simple, just use ATE Typ 200 Amber fluid. Same specs as Blue.

Last edited by ezveedub; 03-07-2012 at 06:39 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake fluid flush, how much fluid?