A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

New bulbs but lights still dim

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 01:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New bulbs but lights still dim

Hi All,

New member, but have previously browsed and found wghat I needed!

I noticed recently that my headlights were dangerously dim (dipped beam especially) so I bought some new bulbs (extra bright but not illegal) on changing the bulbs, the light does appear brigher, but still gets 'drowned out' by cars coming the opther way!

I did wonder whether the battery might be to blame, so I connected the battery from our other car to mine (as if jump starting) which had no effect.

The dipped bulbs are behind a focusing lens, which still seems fairly clear so I doubt that this is the problem...

Does anyone have any advice what I should try next?

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2012, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

halogen or HID?
Have you had your eyes checked for cataracts? (Not being facetious....it happens...)
Old 03-05-2012, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi, yes, eyes tested recently and good ;-)

the bulbs are halogen.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Old reflectors...sometimes the shiny isn't.

The other problem isn't necessarily your battery....hooking up another battery in parallel to yours isn't going to affect the voltage/current delivered to your bulbs.

Historically, the wiring to OEM halogen bulbs is barely adequate to deliver full voltage at operating current draw to those bulbs. The current has to go from the battery through the headlight switch (and all the wiring between) and then to the headlights...there may be a relay or two between but the wiring from the battery to the relay and the relay to the light is often too small. V=IR, or what happens is the resistance in the wire times the current draw generates a voltage drop across the wire, thereby limiting the voltage delivered to the bulb.

Further, the lowered voltage causes the bulb to draw MORE current (the bulb is rated at 55 watts, lower voltage means more current for the most part, other factors will come into play but I digress) which means more voltage drop in the line. Bulb brightness/output is related to voltage.

Sooo, you might look at (1) the reflectors...are they dull, dirty, etc. Often the reflectors can't be polished without removing the micron-thin coating, they don't use metal anymore, it's a vapor deposit on plastic, and
(2) Check the voltage to the bulb AT the bulb with the bulb lit. If it's lower than 13.8v or more than .3-.4v less than battery voltage, you need to wire in relays and heavier wire.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Clean the windshield in and out with alcohol or vinegar. Haze formed inside especially smoker car.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigdadi
Clean the windshield in and out with alcohol or vinegar. Haze formed inside especially smoker car.
THATS why I cant see anything, ugghhhhh. lol
Old 03-05-2012, 10:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks! Gives me somewhere to start!

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Old reflectors...sometimes the shiny isn't.

The other problem isn't necessarily your battery....hooking up another battery in parallel to yours isn't going to affect the voltage/current delivered to your bulbs.

Historically, the wiring to OEM halogen bulbs is barely adequate to deliver full voltage at operating current draw to those bulbs. The current has to go from the battery through the headlight switch (and all the wiring between) and then to the headlights...there may be a relay or two between but the wiring from the battery to the relay and the relay to the light is often too small. V=IR, or what happens is the resistance in the wire times the current draw generates a voltage drop across the wire, thereby limiting the voltage delivered to the bulb.

Further, the lowered voltage causes the bulb to draw MORE current (the bulb is rated at 55 watts, lower voltage means more current for the most part, other factors will come into play but I digress) which means more voltage drop in the line. Bulb brightness/output is related to voltage.

Sooo, you might look at (1) the reflectors...are they dull, dirty, etc. Often the reflectors can't be polished without removing the micron-thin coating, they don't use metal anymore, it's a vapor deposit on plastic, and
(2) Check the voltage to the bulb AT the bulb with the bulb lit. If it's lower than 13.8v or more than .3-.4v less than battery voltage, you need to wire in relays and heavier wire.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Does anybody know where the ground is for the headlight circuit? (low beam)

Last edited by Joby; 03-08-2012 at 10:25 PM. Reason: omission