A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Help what kind of car do I have???

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help what kind of car do I have???

This is absolutely a stupid question but using my vin, I've looked up the vehicle details, but for the life of me can't determine, is my 2001 Audi a6 Avant quattro 2.8l (wagon) A C5, or B6, or does it have the sports suspension or standard suspension. I bought the car used, so i don't know what kind of suspension it has etc. I'm currently looking to replace the struts without killing the wallet, going to need axles soon too, but to purchase any of it, i need to know what type of suspension. Also Facelift/pre-facelift? (WTH does this mean lol) I know....what a nube... But hey never gonna know unless i ask. Also just gotta say, I LOVE this car, very happy to be an Avant owner, and i know there is someone on here that knows how to determine type of susp and the what not. Below is the vin and info. Also i on some experience different struts for this vehicle, and have opinions about, which are best, and if anyone knows the cheapest i can get away with without sacrificing the ride quality... Thankyou Audi community in advance

VIN: WAULH64B01N147070

General Information

MFR model code
4B55VZ
Body type:
Station Wagon
Pass Doors:
Alternative name:
Alternative body:
Station Wagon
Drivetrain:
All Wheel Drive

Original Pricing

MSRP
$37,350.00
Invoice
$33,427.00
Destination Charge
$575.00

Engine & Powertrain

Type
V6 Cylinder Engine
Displacement L/CI
2.8/169
Fuel Type
Gasoline Fuel
Horsepower
200.0 @ 6000
Fuel Economy
17.0 City / 24.0 Highway MPG
Fuel Capacity
18.0 gal
Net Torque
207.0 @ 3200

Tech Specs
Tech Specs

Vehicle Name
Audi A6, Audi A6
Body Style
5 Door Wagon
Drivetrain
All-Wheel Drive
EPA Classification
Midsize S/W
Passenger Capacity
5 (5.0 min/5.0max)
Passenger Volume
99.3 ft³ (99.3 min/99.3max)
Base Curb Weight
3947 lbs (3947.0 min/3947.0max)
EPA Fuel Economy Est - City
17 MPG (17.0 min/17.0max)
EPA Fuel Economy Est - Hwy
24 MPG (24.0 min/24.0max)
Engine Type
Gas V6
Displacement
2.8L/169
Fuel System
SEFI
SAE Net Horsepower @ RPM
200 @ 6000
SAE Net Torque @ RPM
207 @ 3200
Trans Type
5 (5.0 min/5.0max)
Trans Description Cont.
Automatic w/OD
Trans Description Cont. Again
Electronic
First Gear Ratio (:1)
3.67 (3.67 min/3.67max)
Second Gear Ratio (:1)
2.00 (2.0 min/2.0max)
Third Gear Ratio (:1)
1.41 (1.41 min/1.41max)
Fourth Gear Ratio (:1)
1.00 (1.0 min/1.0max)
Fifth Gear Ratio (:1)
0.74 (0.74 min/0.74max)
Reverse Ratio (:1)
4.10 (4.1 min/4.1max)
Final Drive Axle Ratio (:1)
3.73 (3.73 min/3.73max)
Maximum Alternator Capacity (amps)
120 (120.0 min/120.0max)
Total Cooling System Capacity
6.3 qts (6.3 min/6.3max)
Suspension Type - Front
Four-Link
Suspension Type - Rear
Double Control Arm
Suspension Type - Front (Cont.)
w/Stabilizer Bar
Suspension Type - Rear (Cont.)
w/Coil Springs
Front Tire Size
P205/55HR16
Rear Tire Size
P205/55HR16
Spare Tire Size
P205/55HR16
Front Wheel Size
17 x 8.0, 16 x 7 in
Rear Wheel Size
17 x 8.0, 16 x 7 in
Spare Wheel Size
16 x 7.0 in
Front Wheel Material
Alloy
Rear Wheel Material
Alloy
Spare Wheel Material
Alloy
Steering Type
Pwr Rack & Pinion
Steering Ratio (:1), Overall
16.2 (16.2 min/16.2max)
Lock to Lock Turns (Steering)
2.8 (2.8 min/2.8max)
Turning Diameter - Curb to Curb
38.3 ft (38.3 min/38.3max)
Brake Type
Pwr-Assisted
Brake ABS System
Four-Wheel
Disc - Front (Yes or )
Yes
Disc - Rear (Yes or )
Yes
Front Brake Rotor Diam x Thickness
11.34 x .984 in
Rear Brake Rotor Diam x Thickness
9.64 x .39 in
Fuel Tank Capacity, Approx
18.5 gal (18.5 min/18.5max)
Front Head Room
39.3 in (39.3 min/39.3max)
Front Leg Room
41.3 in (41.3 min/41.3max)
Front Shoulder Room
56.2 in (56.2 min/56.2max)
Second Head Room
38.7 in (38.7 min/38.7max)
Second Leg Room
37.3 in (37.3 min/37.3max)
Second Shoulder Room
55.7 in (55.7 min/55.7max)
Wheelbase
108.6 in (108.6 min/108.6max)
Length, Overall
192.0 in (192.0 min/192.0max)
Width, Max w/o mirrors
71.3 in (71.3 min/71.3max)
Height, Overall
58.2 in (58.2 min/58.2max)
Track Width, Front
60.6 in (60.6 min/60.6max)
Track Width, Rear
62.0 in (62.0 min/62.0max)
Min Ground Clearance
4.2 in (4.2 min/4.2max)
Cargo Volume to Seat 1
73.2 ft³ (73.2 min/73.2max)
Cargo Volume to Seat 2
36.4 ft³ (36.4 min/36.4max)
Attached Images   
Old 03-31-2014, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2001 Avant is a C5 Chassis (also known as B4 per the VIN), and was not available with a sport suspension. You have what is termed the "comfort" suspension and seats. The sport package was only available on the sedan (2.7T and 4.2). Your car is also "pre-facelift" which means you have the "old" style headlamps and grilles, which were changed in 2002 for the V6 models (except for the allroads, which kept the pre-facelift until that model was discontinued in 2005).

I'd say before you go spending lots of $$ on different suspensions, just enjoy the car for now, maybe invest a few bucks in H-sport anti-sway bars (which really help the cornering), transforms the car, and known as the best bang-for-the-buck mod you can do. Anything lower, more stiff, more aggressive for suspension for shocks and springs and you will sacrifice ride quality. If you can find a used setup from a C5-chassis S6 avant, then grab those, which will be a bit more sporty, but not give you horrible ride quality.

For axles, if you need new CV joints in front, check out Raxles.com. Marty does good work on those rebuilds.

Congrats on your new ride, and never be afraid to ask questions here!!!
Old 03-31-2014, 06:04 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boston Driver
Your car is also "pre-facelift" which means you have the "old" style headlamps and grilles, which were changed in 2002 for the V6 models (except for the allroads, which kept the pre-facelift until that model was discontinued in 2005).

For axles, if you need new CV joints in front, check out Raxles.com. Marty does good work on those rebuilds.

Interesting, I can't tell the difference in the grill between my 03 and this 01. Guess I should look closer. The only thing I've ever noticed is that they went to the 5-spoke wheels in 02.

By the way Boston Driver, do you know a good indy in your area?
Thanks,
AJG
Old 03-31-2014, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 2002 and later grille upper has a squared off bottom edge that runs to the bumper, whereas the 2001 and earlier has a rounded bottom with a small lip of hood between the bottom edge and the bumper.

There are subtle differences in the shape of the headlights, but really not noticeable unless you try to fit one into the other...they don't fit.

Where are you located? Terrific Indy shop in Gloucester, Advanced Technologies. He has a good rate for ACNA members, and does excellent work.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thankyou very much for the reply, I'm actually in San Diego, would be a heck of a road trip
Old 04-01-2014, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

2001 Avant is a C5 Chassis (also known as B4 per the VIN), and was not available with a sport suspension. You have what is termed the "comfort" suspension and seats. The sport package was only available on the sedan (2.7T and 4.2). Your car is also "pre-facelift" which means you have the "old" style headlamps and grilles, which were changed in 2002 for the V6 models (except for the allroads, which kept the pre-facelift until that model was discontinued in 2005).

I'd say before you go spending lots of $$ on different suspensions, just enjoy the car for now, maybe invest a few bucks in H-sport anti-sway bars (which really help the cornering), transforms the car, and known as the best bang-for-the-buck mod you can do. Anything lower, more stiff, more aggressive for suspension for shocks and springs and you will sacrifice ride quality. If you can find a used setup from a C5-chassis S6 avant, then grab those, which will be a bit more sporty, but not give you horrible ride quality.

AWESOME, exactly what i needed to know! As far as the struts, I'm just going for stock quality, no lowering, no sports suspension etc. I do like to get on the gas a little, but mostly just enjoy the comfy ride in the Cali weather. Would you have any suggestions as to a good setup for front and back, that would be just as good as factory, and not cost me a fortune. Biggest deal for me is,I'm in Cali, which means, cali smog test, and being my car requires a "star" smog test (even harder to pass than the normal cali test)I need as much money as possible to save up for new Cats. Getting the po430 code intermittently, but have decided that it's bad gas. I only run 91, but unfortunately, i have been hitting Valero (cheapest at $4.15 a gal), and stupidly the one at the beach....that has been there like 50 years lol. guessing the tanks are crap...Started going to the rich part of SD (more luxury cars) and filling up on Techron from Chevron($4.45 a gal). Code has since cleared and 150 miles later has not come back, whew, cause as you all know cats are spendy, and Cali legal cats are even more so.
Anyway to my point, i don't want to spend a grip elsewhere, or the car just becomes more than it is worth...hard to say about an avant (love it), but c'est la vie. Have seen KYB Struts for cheap, monroe, etc. but have heard that sometimes if the new shocks aren't very good, the new may not even compare to the old orig. and i don wan dat ta happen. Also as far as the sway bars, does that do anything for bounce, and are the spendy to add to the car, not familiar with them on this car. And CV joints? please forgive my ignorance, but these are the same as when they say i need axles? Hey man thank you big time in advance and for all the info thus far. Have been checking the forums since having this car, and am really stoked on how supportive the audi community is, seems even tighter, on the wagons too...having one... I can see why. I previously owned 3 volvo wagons, great cars, but def a step up on the audi...ok maybe a few steps lol. Cheers, Shawn - Barfly
Old 04-01-2014, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The 2002 and later grille upper has a squared off bottom edge that runs to the bumper, whereas the 2001 and earlier has a rounded bottom with a small lip of hood between the bottom edge and the bumper.

There are subtle differences in the shape of the headlights, but really not noticeable unless you try to fit one into the other...they don't fit.

Where are you located? Terrific Indy shop in Gloucester, Advanced Technologies. He has a good rate for ACNA members, and does excellent work.
Thankyou very much for the info & reply, I'm actually in San Diego, would be a heck of a road trip, not sayin' it wouldn't be fun lol!
Old 04-01-2014, 06:15 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Work in Lex but live north.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is the best advice you'll get. The S6 got the same sport suspension as the Sport package on the 2.7T and 4.2L sedans just with a higher spring rate in the rear to compensate for the Avant's intention of carrying heavier loads. S6 sway bars will also be an upgrade over the sways on the A6 Avant, but unless you get them for (almost) free you're better just buying H-Sports.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So in 98 and 99 Was that different? Because I have a 99 A6Q Avant and It absolutely has the factory sport suspension. Has the red paint marks on the springs, about an inch or inch and a half lower than comfort models. Handles night and day different from comfort A6's. The car appears 100% stock. What option code is it on the sticker in the tire well?

Quick Reply: Help what kind of car do I have???